Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I think need a new monitor...
I think need a new monitor...
2005-10-04, 7:25 PM #1
...because my current one (which is a 19' CRT that cost 200 bucks) is starting to fizzle out. The screen is having a glitch where it gets dim and I'm force to use my graphic drivers' display settings to boost the brightness/contrast/gamma so I can see what the hell I'm doing. I even resorted to using corporate mode for this forum so I can see what I'm reading.

I'm thinking of getting a LCD monitor to replace it because I really can't stand how builky CRT monters are. It would be nice to have my moniter be much further back then it is now so I don't have to sit so freaking far away in order not to go blind. My only concern is that I'm not a real fan of LCDs because they are often kind of blurry and how the colors change based on the angle you are looking from.

Anyone know of a good LCD (or just a flat screen monitor, incase non-LCD flats exist and I'm too stupid to know they do) they would recommend as a replacement?
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-10-04, 7:30 PM #2
First of all: LCDs are crystal clear. Pixel perfect. Sharp as a pinpoint. Each pixel has its own little section that is lit up by itself, not by a CR gun. Thus, there is not even a RGB spread in the pixels.
Second: Small viewing angles are a thing of the past. My monitor changes almost nothing from every possible angle.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-04, 7:30 PM #3
There are flat panels out there that aren't LCD and they don't cost much more than a standard CRT, although they are the same size.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-04, 7:31 PM #4
Googled 'good LCD moniter'. :p
DO NOT WANT.
2005-10-04, 7:32 PM #5
Originally posted by Avenger:
There are flat panels out there that aren't LCD and they don't cost much more than a standard CRT, although they are the same size.

They're just a CRT with a flat screen. :P
In other words, no increased image quality. Just no "bubble" effect. And they implode easier.
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-04, 7:46 PM #6
Originally posted by FancyMan:
My monitor changes almost nothing from every possible angle.

Friends of mine own high end LCDs and all of them still have viewing angle problems. It's a result of how LCD technology works.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-04, 7:51 PM #7
BTW, if you're looking to get rid of that monitor...
:em321:
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-10-04, 8:03 PM #8
I have a Sharp LL-191A-B LCD; it's served me well now for over a year. Viewing angle's pretty good; response time's not bad (16ms)... oh you know what would be cool; you should get an OLED monitor.
Stuff
2005-10-04, 8:06 PM #9
In other words, no increased image quality. Just no "bubble" effect. And they implode easier.

That is what my current monitor is. The screen has no dome like surface. Its just flat. I'm looking for a monitor that is thin though, like how most LCD monitors are.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2005-10-04, 8:06 PM #10
In other words, no increased image quality.

High end CRT image quality > high end LCD image quality. End of story. The only trouble is that high end CRTs aren't manufactured much anymore. Sony seems to have discontinued their whole line. :(

I'm waiting for SED technology from Canon and Philips (I think Philips). It uses some kind of mini electrode things and phosphors, like a CRT, but a few cm thick. If it's as good as they say it is, it'll consume less power than an LCD, CRT or PDP and have the image quality of a CRT without the downsides.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-04, 8:19 PM #11
DLP Compy monitors KTHX.
2005-10-04, 9:59 PM #12
2005FPW for 400$. 20.1 inch widescreen, 600:1, 16MS response time. I love mine.
2005-10-04, 10:06 PM #13
I have a Princeton 1700 LCD 17" monitor to replace my old Viewsonic flatscreen that died. Cost about 250$ after rebate, I think, and I am very happy with it, all things considered.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.
2005-10-04, 10:16 PM #14
Hehehe, I have a refurbished IBM CRT I got for $40. It's served me pretty well so far.

I also have a DELL CRT that one of my old roommates "liberated" from the University Physics Department. It works great, just haven't had a need to hook it up yet.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-10-04, 10:42 PM #15
My monitor is old and it's starting to sputter from time to time. When it kicks the bucket, I'm going to get an LCD. $200 or so when they're on sale these days, and the smaller size is quite nice as well.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-05, 7:26 AM #16
Size is essential. At work I have a pair of ~15" lcd monitors hooked up as an extended desktop [bblean as my shell of course] and then one of them is piped through a kvm alone with the keyboard+touchpad-mouse.

The other one is connected straight to my computer [dual head matrox card in it], so I always have one monitor for local events, usually it is where my msys console is for command line work.

The primary one I use for text editing and internet lookups and database work mostly, or when I'm building/testing boxen that's the one that gets routed through the kvm to the text machine.

Yesterday I was using it with one screen for opera for ebay postings and the other for the database to enter information from screen 2. No alt-tabbing for me! Mwa ha ha.

K, I'm done now.
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

↑ Up to the top!