Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ATi X1000 brings GPUs as Processors?
ATi X1000 brings GPUs as Processors?
2005-10-08, 11:58 AM #1
As anyone who's into the scene knows, GPUs are a LOT faster than CPUs. I think this is an awesome, and very exciting development.

http://hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODIyLDc=
D E A T H
2005-10-08, 12:02 PM #2
Somehow I don't think it's that simple. CPU's are faster for what they are designed to do. GPUs are faster for what they are designed to do.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-08, 12:09 PM #3
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Somehow I don't think it's that simple. CPU's are faster for what they are designed to do. GPUs are faster for what they are designed to do.

If you can back that up, then I'd be willing to accept it. As is, from HardOCP and ATi's assertions, people who know a helluvalot more than you and I, they think it's possible and that it'd make processors MUCH better than the current ones. Not to mention, hear of nVidia cards being used for sound processing and being MUCH better than other sound processors?
D E A T H
2005-10-08, 12:14 PM #4
I'm failing to understand how bogging a GPU down with all the stuff that is traditionally handled by the CPU won't just turn the GPU into a bogged-down CPU.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-08, 12:17 PM #5
I'm failing to understand how bogging a GPU down with all the stuff that is traditionally handled by the CPU won't just turn the GPU into a bogged-down CPU.

It's sort of a way to get a dual processor system without actually going dual-core or dual-cpu. Except when you're doing graphics, you get left with only one CPU.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-08, 12:20 PM #6
Oh, yeah? I guess that makes sense.. Only problem is that it will take a while to get applications that take advantage of dual cpus.
2005-10-08, 12:51 PM #7
Oh, yeah? I guess that makes sense.. Only problem is that it will take a while to get applications that take advantage of dual cpus.

I really think that it's going to be less than a year before every app that's intensive released sees dual CPU support, or there's something that makes dual CPUs act as one. And yeah, it's basically like another (more powerful) CPU to do processing for you, and what's really cool is it's very feasible given the PCI-E structure.
D E A T H
2005-10-08, 1:50 PM #8
mmmk. but what the heck is folding?

[/offtopic]
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-10-08, 2:02 PM #9
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
mmmk. but what the heck is folding?

[/offtopic]

http://folding.stanford.edu/
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-08, 2:49 PM #10
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]As is, from HardOCP and ATi's assertions, people who know a helluvalot more than you and I, they think it's possible and that it'd make processors MUCH better than the current ones.[/QUOTE]Well, here are a few reasons:

1.) The major processor IP designers nowadays are Intel, IBM, ARM and AMD. All 4 of those companies produce general processors that support some degree of vector processing.

2.) A GPU is not a general-purpose processor. Almost all of the processing power is tied up in highly specialized tasks, like the fixed-function transformation pipeline.

3.) CPUs are designed for out-of-order execution - long jumps within system memory, and a great deal of transistors are dedicated to branch prediction and caching. GPUs have none of this.

4.) The only component you could realistically use for general-purpose mathematical computation is the pixel shading unit which still isn't that fast at floating point math.

5.) Every research paper I've read on techniques for using video cards to perform general processing indicates that, while the video card can perform the computations adequately, reading from the frame buffer is prohibitively expensive.

6.) Parallel execution is possible in a GPU because it consists of a whole bunch of simple, identical units that perform the same task but don't need to communicate with each other. A CPU is like a railgun, while a GPU is like about 40 or 50 ballistas bolted together. The array of ballistas can fire off a whole hell of a lot of bolts, but it's not remotely as useful as a big railgun.

Hope that helps.
2005-10-08, 5:12 PM #11
Originally posted by Jon`C:
technobabble.

So what you're saying is the CPU can tell the GPU what to process, and the GPU can process it faster? Or am I getting that wrong.
D E A T H
2005-10-08, 5:56 PM #12
He's saying the GPU is better suited for graphics processing than a CPU, and a CPU is better suited for general processing than a GPU.

Umm Windows, Linux, Apple OS, etc have supported multiprocessing since forever. Apps don't need to support it. If an OS supports it it will schedule the processes/threads to run on each CPU.

2005-10-08, 6:08 PM #13
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]He's saying the GPU is better suited for graphics processing than a CPU, and a CPU is better suited for general processing than a GPU.

Umm Windows, Linux, Apple OS, etc have supported multiprocessing since forever. Apps don't need to support it. If an OS supports it it will schedule the processes/threads to run on each CPU.[/QUOTE]
But then you end up with BG on one and a game on the other. CPU usage? 5%, and 100%.
SpamBlogger
- jak thomsun

2005-10-08, 9:35 PM #14
Dual core's biggest advantage is desktop and workstation use, not gaming. I'm sure Jon`C can tell you all about why multi-core solutions don't offer much to gaming at all.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-09, 1:37 AM #15
Funny story.

My older brother had to disable one of the "processors" on his dual core to play San Andreas. (You can tell Windows to run certain programs with only one processor, Also in this menu there are tick boxes for 31 processors....)

If he didn't, the game ran TWICE as fast, making it totally unplayable.. but hilarious to watch.

Cars on the highway went so fast you couldn't see them untill they hit something, but they piled up HELLA FAST if you caused an accident.

The pistol was a machine gun, walking was faster than riding a bike at normal appication speed.

It was awesome! :)

My Pentium D doesn't do it though. Just his AMD I forget what.

↑ Up to the top!