Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ebay rant
Ebay rant
2005-10-10, 12:09 PM #1
Argh, I knew I shouldn't buy anything outside of my own country!
I just bought Mortal Kombat 4 for the N64. In the German ebay description it said that the buyer (from the UK) accepts bank transfers. But then in the mail I got from ebay it only mentioned "Postal Order or Banker's Draft".
Now I can only hope the seller will give me his IBAN and BIC because I'd rather not use PayPal.
[/rant]
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-10, 1:37 PM #2
Void the purchase on the basis that the payment methods described by the seller were not actually availible.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-10, 1:37 PM #3
I bought a high end Sony portable radio, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, for $36 from a Chinese vendor. He has 0 feedback. I took the risk because it was selling for $60 elsewhere. I got a message from "Jacky Chan" saying the item was shipped. Uh oh, not looking to good right? Well maybe that's his real name. Then I get a notice from eBay's fraud protection guys saying that his seller account was suspended due to reasons they couldn't tell me, something about his identity I think. I asked him about it, he said the item was on it's way. We'll see...
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-10, 1:46 PM #4
three years later...
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-10-10, 4:35 PM #5
I hate EBay. All the arcade/pinball goods are horribly overpriced. FFS, people sell Neo Geo games for over $100 when you can buy them for $20 elsewhere, and also pay less shipping.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-10, 4:36 PM #6
Uh, what's that got to do with eBay? eBay is just an auction service.
2005-10-10, 4:38 PM #7
Yeah. That's sellers. Besidesm if I could get $100 for something that should be selling for $20 sowwhere else, I'd be all over it.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-10, 4:42 PM #8
Originally posted by Avenger:
Yeah. That's sellers. Besidesm if I could get $100 for something that should be selling for $20 sowwhere else, I'd be all over it.

That's the point. The people are dishonest in their prices and aren't afraid to scam people into paying exorbitantly high orices.

And, about my word choice... it's like saying... like... uh, "I hate Florida." This statement in no way means that the land mass bearing that name is defective in my opinion, but it instead states that I do not like its inhabitants and/or certain surrounding aspects such as weather.
SpamBlogger
"u r dumb, stop or ill sue u
- jak thomsun

p.s. ur gay" - Victor Van Dort

New disclaimer - Any brain damage suffered as a result of typographical errors is the reader's liability.
2005-10-10, 4:58 PM #9
I hate Florida.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-10-10, 5:38 PM #10
what i love to hate about ebay sellers is when they push the prices up by stating an item is "RARE" (always in caps) even when it's about as rare as sand on a beach and usually the "RARE" item is one of MANY of the same exact item
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-10-10, 5:48 PM #11
You want to know what the worst thing about ebay is? THIS!
Life is beautiful.
2005-10-10, 6:03 PM #12
Originally posted by FancyMan:
That's the point. The people are dishonest in their prices and aren't afraid to scam people into paying exorbitantly high orices.

It's more that people who buy the stuff are stupid.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-10, 6:06 PM #13
dumb slut... (britney spears not vengy... vengy=smart slut)

of course i say bad things about ebay then find a seller with some PC games up for like 50cents each buy it now free shipping... i managed to get heretic 2 but missed out on GTA3 by a whole 3 seconds
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-10-10, 6:52 PM #14
I've had about 6 EBay accounts, and forgot the SN/Password to all of them. My current one is pasted on my computer monitor in red ink. I don't think I'll lose it.

But yeah, that "OMFG RARER THAN OXYGEN IN OUTAR SPACE" crap annoys me. If I want to buy something, I don't give a damn how rare it is. Oh, and price exaggeration pisses me off too.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-10-11, 1:50 AM #15
It worked out all right.
He did accept bank transfer after all.
And even if he hadn't, a German guy contacted me because he saw my bid on one MK4-game and had the game, too. He couldn't sell it directly over eBay, because some (or all? I don't know) MK-games in Germany are forbidden.
2005-10-11, 7:48 AM #16
I made the mistake of trying to buy one of those asian versions of the "Band of Brothers" set that was quite cheap, only to find out that half of the disks didn't work. When I went back to contact the guy who I bought it from, his seller account had mysteriously disappeared.

I just love how the latest ebay ripoff is sellers that list a fairly small item for what seems to be a good price, only that the shipping is 3-5 times what it should be. Come on - $20 to ship a 2-pound item via parcel post or media mail? I don't think so....
Pyro Universe The ultimate fireworks site!
2005-10-11, 10:25 AM #17
I ran into that looking at cell phones. Found a good price for a phone only to see $45 in shipping. I t wasn't international or over night either, whoch I could inderstand.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-11, 10:41 AM #18
I found these really nice ram air style hood scoops (think the WS6 Trans Am) that I was wanting to put on the hood of my car. The shipping for it is $65 frigging dollars. The guy told me the actual shipping is $100 and he is takign a loss. I asked what service he used, because I had 4 new 16 inch wheels AND 4 tires (with air) shipped to me for $100 shipping.
I can't think of anything to put here right now.
2005-10-11, 11:04 AM #19
Quote:
Welcome to capitalism. It's the job of the buyer to make sure he/she is getting a good deal. And the job of the seller to make as much money as he/she can.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-10-11, 11:08 AM #20
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
Welcome to capitalism. It's the job of the buyer to make sure he/she is getting a good deal. And the job of the seller to make as much money as he/she can.

Yes. Has anyone here ever bought a Bose product? If so, you got suckered by good marketing.
2005-10-12, 1:16 AM #21
A sale is a good sale if both parties think they've ripped off the other one.
2005-10-12, 7:07 AM #22
Originally posted by Emon:
Yes. Has anyone here ever bought a Bose product? If so, you got suckered by good marketing.

Bose... oh boy, don't get me started on those pieces of crap. My grandpa went out and bought those (without consulting me first, which I ALWAYS tell him to do before buying electronics)... needless to say, it was like listening to tin cans.
2005-10-12, 11:06 AM #23
A $15 pair off Koss KSC75s will sound better in every situation than any headphone or home speaker system that Bose makes. No joke, I am not exaggerating. They retail for $20, street price is $15. A pair of clip-ons with drivers that should be in a $75 pair of headphones.
2005-10-12, 11:19 AM #24
I don't like eBay. I've made a few purchases, all of which were successful, but I hate having to search through hundreds of "online stores" in order to find a *real* auction. All I ever see is "Bid: $99. Buy it now: $98" Grrr.

And by the way, as far as speakers go...
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/544299006
I love 'em.
2005-10-13, 9:30 AM #25
from personal experience, ebay has been great for me. Its really all about being a smart buyer. Pay attention to the sellers history and research the item for all its worth before dropping bids.
I got my Rubies supreme vader costume that is retailed for 700-1000 from every single rubies dealer.

I got a brand new one on ebay for 500 dollars. and now darth vader stands in my living room.

but if you suck at buying, then goto the mall or somthing and buy a chrome belt with your initials.
2005-10-13, 2:39 PM #26
:mad:
Today my bank called. Turned out that his account informations were incorrect.
And if I do the transfer in Pounds instead of Euros I will have to pay almost as much, as the transfered amount.

↑ Up to the top!