Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → World of Warcraft Spyware
World of Warcraft Spyware
2005-10-12, 4:00 PM #41
Originally posted by money•bie:
It's in the frickin EULA. You can't say they don't "have the right" if you gave them permission.

pfft, nobody reads those :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-12, 6:16 PM #42
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
I really don't think privacy is gonna be the real issue. Hash collisions are a possibility here, due to the sheer number of programs anyone could be running in the background it's plausable that people will be banned for running a program which generates the same hash as a hacking program. And if they keep adding more and more hashes to the "banned" list it becomes more probable people will be banned for no reason. Because of this, anyone could claim they were banned unfairly due to a hash collision. How will blizzard know who to believe?

I doubt they ban on one match. I assume if the 'warden' finds something 'bannable,' it notifies Blizzard of the possibly that they're hacking. If matches keep coming up, then I'm sure they take action. But I doubt they issue a ban for a single match.

Which means I can hack WoW, if I cram it into a 15 minutes window.
2005-10-12, 6:36 PM #43
Originally posted by Matterialize:
Interesting. It seems that Blizzard may have painted itself into a corner. :)

Nah I doubt it. To me this is an article with the air of "OMGLOOK BLIZARD IS READING YOUR WINDOZE TITLES!!!11" The stuff is hashed out, probably using MD5 or SHA1. Which, like Ictus said, is nothing but a garbled string of hexadecimals of 32-48? characters in length. I'm not sure relevant data can be obtained with dehashing a string. So the chances of Blizzard stealing your Social Security number, is at best very minimalistic despite the author trying to make you believe that's their sole purpose.

Moral of the story: Overhype and "shock jock" this article is.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-10-12, 8:48 PM #44
The problem as I see it, is that other third party software, unbeknownest to you could easily exploit this process.

Also, it doesn't matter that its not sending your data.

Would you let someone read your mail if they were going to put it back? No, you wouldn't.
2005-10-12, 8:50 PM #45
Quote:
Also, it doesn't matter that its not sending your data.

Uh, yeah it does. Since it doesn't, it is no different than the WoW client itself.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-12, 8:56 PM #46
It is still, probably on some level retaining the data in your RAM.

Since the process itself does not register as malware, it is very possible that other new malware may take advantage of the situation.

I don't like that. Infact, I don't like that it can read sensitive data at all, even though it doesn't send it.

Its kind of like the FBI putting your DNA on file for no reason. Will something screwed up happen? Probably not. Could it happen? Yeah.

Like I said, you wouldn't want someone reading your mail, even if they weren't gonig to tell anyone whats in it.
2005-10-12, 9:41 PM #47
If you don't like it, then don't agree to the EULA. It's not rocket science.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-12, 10:13 PM #48
Originally posted by Rob:
Would you let someone read your mail if they were going to put it back? No, you wouldn't.

That analogy so does not apply to this. If someone read your mail, even if they put it back they'd still be walking away with what they read.

A better analogy is, would you let the inside of your mailbox see the address on the outside of your mail?
2005-10-13, 1:25 AM #49
Originally posted by Rob:
The problem as I see it, is that other third party software, unbeknownest to you could easily exploit this process.

Why should this malware bother with exploiting a program for a game that may not be running all the time? It's much easier to do the same thing alone.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-13, 4:54 AM #50
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]That analogy so does not apply to this. If someone read your mail, even if they put it back they'd still be walking away with what they read.

A better analogy is, would you let the inside of your mailbox see the address on the outside of your mail?[/QUOTE]

i make my mailbox wear a blindfold
Moo.
2005-10-13, 7:17 AM #51
*snicker* Why is this news? And why are so many people suprised?
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-10-13, 9:36 AM #52
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]They did say. Several times.

In fact, I think the thread about it is still stickied. Please make sure you have correct information before making judgements.[/QUOTE]

Then why is this news if everyone already knows about it?

By the way, the legality of EULAs is disputed, since by the time you read them the transaction is already completed. Supposedly a company can't add additional conditions onto an agreement after the money and product have been exchanged.

2005-10-13, 9:45 AM #53
This was added TWO PATCHES ago - close to two and a half months ago. It doesn't actually send any data back to Blizzard unless it finds some known WoW Hacks, so it's not a big deal at all. People just like to blow things out of proportion for a little extra fame.

Pfft. This whole thread is bandwagoning at it's finest.
I beat the internet. The last guy was hard.
2005-10-13, 3:00 PM #54
I don't band wagon.

I don't even play WoW, I've played it once.

I can't stand fantasy games. They're boring, and for the most part the same.

An EULA is pretty valid for subscription games, IMO. Because you nine times out of 10 read it before you start paying them. Also, you're paying to use their service. I don't see as how its bad. If you don't like it, don't play that game. Heck, you read it everytime before you play the game.

As far as buy once games go.. I don't agree with them at all, they're crap in that respect.
2005-10-13, 3:11 PM #55
The thing is, Blizzard is NOT going to be looking into your privacy, it IS stated in the EULA, and why do you care that Blizzard cares about hacking? It's a GOOD thing Blizzard cares. And, if Blizzard DOES in fact invade your privacy, you can sue them up the ars!

↑ Up to the top!