Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Apple Finally Did It.
Apple Finally Did It.
2005-10-12, 11:54 AM #1
http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html
TV Shows
Music Videos
Podcasts
Music
Movies
Photo Albums

30GB for $299. I remember when I paid $299 for my 15GB.

[http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/864/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/heroshot_ipod_black.jpg] [http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/864/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/heroshot_ipod_white.jpg]
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-10-12, 11:58 AM #2
Very spiffy.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-10-12, 12:00 PM #3
Sounds like a PDA. With the exception that it probably can't play ogg-Vorbis...
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-12, 12:01 PM #4
No divx? :(
2005-10-12, 12:02 PM #5
Whaaa?? I just bought a 30GB Photo less than half a year ago! For $400! They said they wouldn't make a video iPod for a long time. It looks freaking awesome...

I hate Apple.
"I'm afraid of OC'ing my video card. You never know when Ogre Calling can go terribly wrong."
2005-10-12, 12:05 PM #6
Originally posted by Impi:
With the exception that it probably can't play ogg-Vorbis...

Seriously. It's open source and patent free. Apple doesn't even have to give credit! They implemented WAV an AIFF but not Vorbis? WTF? Gah, they're just pushing for AAC and Apple Lossless so much.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-12, 12:08 PM #7
The "Weapon of Choice" music video directed by Spike Jonze is on the iTunes store. That would so be the first video to put on an iPod. Nothing christens a video iPod like Christopher Walken flying around.
2005-10-12, 12:22 PM #8
I'll stick with my PSP, since it already does all that (okay, no podcasts, but games).
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-10-12, 1:13 PM #9
Whatever.
2005-10-12, 1:16 PM #10
i think i'll still go iaudio X5... it supports vorbis (and even FLAC)
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-10-12, 1:20 PM #11
That is badass. I'm getting one.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-10-12, 1:25 PM #12
That really pisses me off, I just bought a 20gb photo ipod for 350.
America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-10-12, 1:28 PM #13
did they make the screen bigger? it seems hard to watch "ABC or Disney tv shows" with a normal ipod screen
2005-10-12, 1:28 PM #14
Ogg-Vorbis and DivX/XviD both require more processing power than an ipod is capable of.
2005-10-12, 1:30 PM #15
I think the screen looks a little bigger it used to be and the front has sharp corners rather than rounded edges.
2005-10-12, 1:31 PM #16
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Ogg-Vorbis and DivX/XviD both require more processing power than an ipod is capable of.

Yeah so...fix it.
2005-10-12, 1:34 PM #17
Originally posted by Emon:
Yeah so...fix it.

On the specs page Apple only states the battery life for video play back to be 2 hours...more processing power is just going to shorten that.
2005-10-12, 1:35 PM #18
The best way to fix it would be to move the iPod line to an XScale processor, which will happen soon.
2005-10-12, 1:43 PM #19
s h i n y :D
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-10-12, 2:07 PM #20
ROFL

PSP > iPod

OWNT.

PSP plays full-screen video on a much, much bigger screen... for 4 hours or more.
2005-10-12, 2:14 PM #21
PSP and iPod are apples and oranges. Both are meant for entirely different things. MEANT for, not able to. however, this new 5G kind of shook things up.

PSP is primarily for games and movies
iPod is for music primarily

Musicwise iPod >>>>>> PSP. Sorry, the PSP doesn't quite cut it as a pure music player

Videowise I find the PSP and iPod a toss-up. The battery life for PSP is much better (especially running off a memory stick), but there's the problem. You can't fit many good quality movies on a 1GB memory stick. The screen size is also a huuuge plus with the PSP. The advantage that the iPod has is that you have 30GB. You know how much you could fit on a 30GB with h.264 codec? Yeah, a helluva lot.

Gamewise I think is most obvious.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-10-12, 2:17 PM #22
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]ROFL

PSP > iPod

OWNT.

PSP plays full-screen video on a much, much bigger screen... for 4 hours or more.[/QUOTE]

On a 1 gig memory chip, which costs alot...

30 gigs > 1 gig, last time I checked.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-10-12, 2:32 PM #23
Originally posted by fishstickz:
On a 1 gig memory chip, which costs alot...

30 gigs > 1 gig, last time I checked.

What good is 30gb of video if you can't see anything?
2005-10-12, 2:44 PM #24
I dont know much about the PSP, can you hook it up to another video source via a Svideo or something else?
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-10-12, 2:48 PM #25
Originally posted by tofu:
On the specs page Apple only states the battery life for video play back to be 2 hours...more processing power is just going to shorten that.

Well, I could care less about video playback. How about being able to toggle the backlight, and why do I need a color display for audio? Meanwhile, iRiver and iAudio are making players that hold just as much, if not more songs, support a plethora of codecs, have far superior battery life and have far better DACs and output stages so they sound way better.
2005-10-12, 3:54 PM #26
Originally posted by fishstickz:
I dont know much about the PSP, can you hook it up to another video source via a Svideo or something else?

You see, I don't understand...why would you want to do this with a PORTABLE system. The resolution is worse than regular TV resolution, it's just that you don't notice it on the small screen.

But no.
D E A T H
2005-10-12, 4:06 PM #27
Well, I could care less about video playback. How about being able to toggle the backlight, and why do I need a color display for audio? Meanwhile, iRiver and iAudio are making players that hold just as much, if not more songs, support a plethora of codecs, have far superior battery life and have far better DACs and output stages so they sound way better.

I was referring to divx and xvid.
2005-10-12, 4:07 PM #28
Oh, I thought we were talking about Vorbis. Does it support any MPEG4 codecs? It doesn't have to be DivX or XviD.
2005-10-12, 4:38 PM #29

I love my H320. Plays music, movies, reads text files, and acts as a voice recorder for some of my classes.
omnia mea mecum porto
2005-10-12, 6:02 PM #30
Well, I could care less about video playback. How about being able to toggle the backlight,

Ummm.....hold the Menu button and it turns the backlight on the iPod on. Hold it again to turn it off :)
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-10-12, 6:40 PM #31
Originally posted by Whelly:
Whaaa?? I just bought a 30GB Photo less than half a year ago! For $400! They said they wouldn't make a video iPod for a long time. It looks freaking awesome...

I hate Apple.

You dished out $400 for one of those things??
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-10-12, 6:48 PM #32
Yeah, as much as I love my iPod, I would not spend $400 on one.

↑ Up to the top!