Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → How do you properly implement a quote in an essay? (1st sentence, introduction)
How do you properly implement a quote in an essay? (1st sentence, introduction)
2005-10-13, 4:41 PM #1
1) "Blah quote." (Begin actual essay)

2) "Blah quote." - Name (Begin actual essay)

3) "Blah quote." - Name, profession (Begin actual essay)

4)------------------>"Blah quote." (centered)

(Begin actual essay)

5)------------------>"Blah quote." (centered)
---------------------->Name, Profession

(Begin actual essay)

etc. etc.

I'm not entirely sure.
2005-10-13, 4:44 PM #2
I'm not sure what guidlines you need to follow (MLA etc.), but the standard way I've always been told to do is:

Name, Profession once said, "Blah, quote"
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-10-13, 5:37 PM #3
If it is the very first thing in your essay you should just start in on it. Then your next sentence should include who said it and give the reson for the quote's relevance.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-10-13, 5:56 PM #4
Are you required to use that method of starting your essay? It is often overused, and at least on AP English Language exams, it is marked down in points for being a very cliche opening method.
2005-10-13, 6:16 PM #5
Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Name, Profession once said, "Blah, quote"

Quotes are great things to start with in an essay. Give 'em a reference to something beyond your paper and clue 'em in to what you are going to present implicitly.
2005-10-13, 6:20 PM #6
It has to be one hell of a quote to start off an essay.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-13, 6:32 PM #7
Yeah, otherwise just paraphrase it.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-13, 7:25 PM #8
Just a tip that I learned (sorry if this derails the thread)

When you use a quote in certain essays, it usually means that what is said in this quote can't be described better in any other words. Thus, you have to decide if the pressence of quotes will or will not sacrifice your "voice" in your essay. A strong voice will make a strong essay. If you include a quote in your opening, you run a great risk of loosing your sense of voice right away. I mean, you are starting your whole writing piece with the voice of another person, the opening needs to grab the reader to your style of writing, ideas and thoughts.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!