Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What would you have done?
What would you have done?
2005-10-14, 1:02 PM #41
I don't understand how someone can make a dog live outside all the time.

A house trained dog = no nasty surprises in the house.

A well mannered dog = no serious amount of barking when people come to the door.

A well groomed dog = not dirty.

A big dog = free security system.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2005-10-14, 1:17 PM #42
And not all animals are "meant" to be outside all the time.

What about ferrets? They're small and harmless. Relatively clean, highly intelligent, useful only for getting in trouble and killing insects and small rodents (if you train them to do so). If you tried putting one outside it would die.
2005-10-14, 1:27 PM #43
Animals aren't meant to be in cages either, but hey.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-14, 2:02 PM #44
never mind ferrets, i'm talking dogs here.
it is my opinion that dogs should be outside. that's why i don't have a dog. my backyard is 15' x 12'. to own a dog in such a small townhouse as mine with such a small backyard as mine would be cruel. especially since i am away from home over 12 hours a day and i'm too busy/tired/lazy to take the dog out for a couple of km walk every day.
i would not keep a shih-tzu outside nor would i let a shih-tzu in my house to get dog hair and smell all over. my sofa is $3000 and there isn't a dog on earth that is going to go near it.
dog houses are inexpensive and comfortable. labs, german shepherds, akitas... all kinds of dogs can live outside all year round with a nice 2 room dog house with some straw in there. they're suprisingly warm after being in there for just 15 to 20 minutes (yes i have spent that much and more time in a 2 room dog house when i was a boy (we were playing with the dog that lived there and just fooling around like kids do)).
2005-10-14, 2:24 PM #45
Wow guys. Such cruelty towards animals in here, it's unbelievable.

Am I the only one that understands... IT'S A FRIGGIN DOG? You should know, dogs and peeing on things come hand in hand.

What would I have done?

Gotten over it and realised, ITS A PUPPY.
2005-10-14, 2:27 PM #46
Agreed puppies don't have the intellegence to know better they act on instict... but in turn you have to punish them to make them instictivly not do something... It's not abuse it's trainning... it's werid how people blend those lines... you have to start trainning from a puppy to get the best results.
2005-10-14, 2:38 PM #47
Yes, I agree they have to learn.

However, I do NOT think that rubbing a puppie's face in its own piss or fecal matter is a good way to teach it that it is wrong to do so. Nor do I think that locking the poor thing up in a lonely cage is the right thing to do either. That stuff traumatizes the puppy like hell. It's totally inhumane.

Hell, I know for a fact that if one human did that to their own child they'd be thrown in jail for doing so and stoned in public for even mentioning the thought. But of course, animals are the exception to this, since, they're animals. Apparently.

Wash your bedsheets and get over it.
2005-10-14, 2:40 PM #48
Considering some dogs eat their own fecial matter I don't think it bugs them that much... it just smells bad so they don't like doing it there anymore.
2005-10-14, 2:54 PM #49
Kids eat their own fecal matter sometimes as well.

How can you even assume that it doesn't bother them? Have you spoken to a dog recently?
2005-10-14, 2:56 PM #50
No, actually it makes it smell like a bathroom there.

Take it outside when it has to go to the bathroom. As soon as you wake up, take it outside and keep it there until it goes, then let it back in. Eventually it'll get the message. You train ferrets the exact same way, only with litter boxes.

If you want to keep it from going to the bathroom in a certain place you can make it smell terrible (something like bitter apple spray), put food bowls there or their bedclothes. Among other things. I suggest buying a good book. Unfortunately I can't recommend one for dogs (only ferrets).
2005-10-14, 2:58 PM #51
Hahahha.

So maybe he should beat his wife and rub her face in dog pee?
2005-10-14, 3:02 PM #52
pfft, the pee is in the bedroom. Why would she be out of the kitchen when they aren't having sex?
2005-10-14, 3:18 PM #53
That whole indepenent women disease crap Oprah preaches, thats why.
2005-10-14, 3:50 PM #54
Putting dogs in cages is not inhumane. Up until she was four or five, we had to put my dog in a cage when we left the house. She loves to chase squirrels, and she often looks out the windows when she's bored. And often times she would watch for squirrels, then get excited and bang on the windows with her paws because of the squirrel. She was more than big enough to break the glass, and we didn't want that happening, especially when we weren't there. Pulling the shades down wouldn't stop her.

Unless you mean keeping a dog in a cage 24/7 even when you're around. Yes, that's inhumane. Cages can also be used for punishment. Dog does something bad, it goes in its cage for maybe half an hour.

Interesting thing though, my dog loves her cage. We still have it, we just don't lock it anymore. Unless like, something breaks or spills that's really hazardous and she needs to be safe. But yeah, she adopted her cage as being her den. Since she would be locked in it whenever we left the house, she slept a lot in it (dogs get bored, they sleep). I guess that's why she likes it now.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-14, 4:13 PM #55
Putting a puppy in a cage IS inhumane. It's traumatizing for the puppy, as well as confusing. Maybe if they'reolder and out of their development stage, yes, but certainly NOT as a puppy.
2005-10-14, 4:17 PM #56
Oh please, putting a puppy in a cage for a few hours every couple of times a week is not going to "traumatize" it. It was only when she got big enough that she could hurt herself on stuff around the house. And this isn't just my opinion, both veteranerians we've taken my dog to agreed that it wasn't a big deal, same with the tons of books we read before and while raising our dog.
2005-10-14, 4:20 PM #57
Ok. Although, I've read and heard the same on this issue for my side of the argument. Apparently, there's a division in opinions on it in books and vets opinions.
2005-10-14, 4:23 PM #58
Animals don't mind being put in cages periodically and neither do humans, as long as the enclosure is large enough for comfort. Your parents used to send you to your room for punishment and put you in there after like 8 pm for bedtime too.
2005-10-14, 4:27 PM #59
The problem Jon, is that humans know even at that age that they A) Did something wrong and B) will come into human contact again. They understand the fact that they won't be in there forever.

A puppy however, hasn't the sense to piece together that it's going to be there for any ammount of time. Unless it gets into a routine (which if it hasn't had any phsychological problems by then) of doing so. It's those first few times you do it, that it causes the most damage, IMO.
2005-10-14, 4:41 PM #60
Originally posted by Temperamental:
A puppy however, hasn't the sense to piece together that it's going to be there for any ammount of time.

...so you're saying that when you put a dog in a cage and leave, it's *BAM*, TRAUMATIZED. It's not smart enough to realize a few hours later what happened? That's ridiculous.
2005-10-14, 4:55 PM #61
No. I'm saying that in some cases there is the possibility of causing traumatic psychological damage to the puppy beacuse it doesn't realize what's happening. It never does. Unless it gets into the routine of it.

It's the same as goldfish or mice, put them in a maze once or twice, they'll have problems navigating the course. Put them in there several times, they'll begin to get into the routine of doing so and remember.
2005-10-14, 5:01 PM #62
No. I'm saying that in some cases there is the possibility of causing traumatic psychological damage to the puppy beacuse it doesn't realize what's happening. It never does. Unless it gets into the routine of it.

It's the same as goldfish or mice, put them in a maze once or twice, they'll have problems navigating the course. Put them in there several times, they'll begin to get into the routine of doing so and remember.

Oh please...a dogs psyche is not nearly as complex and sensitive as a human's...not even close. Unless you viciously abuse an animal for the a long period of time, it's not going to be "traumatized"...and even if it gets scared that you put in in a cage the first time, you seriously are trying to say that the puppy is going to be somehow "scarred" for the rest of it's life...yet you also say that once they get into the routine its fine...really man your arguments and thought process are all over the place. It just doesn't make sense.

Dogs != little emo kids.
2005-10-14, 5:13 PM #63
Quote:
Putting dogs in cages is not inhumane. Up until she was four or five, we had to put my dog in a cage when we left the house. She loves to chase squirrels, and she often looks out the windows when she's bored. And often times she would watch for squirrels, then get excited and bang on the windows with her paws because of the squirrel. She was more than big enough to break the glass, and we didn't want that happening, especially when we weren't there. Pulling the shades down wouldn't stop her.

dogs belong outside.
2005-10-14, 5:30 PM #64
Quote:
Although some foreigners find eating dogmeat repugnant, use of dogs as food is quite widespread in the world. Because they are omnivorous, dogs are excellent recyclers of scraps, converting otherwise unuseable material into food. This makes dogs a thoughtful food source for the environmentally minded. It also makes sense for poorer people as an alternative to that other scrap eater, the chicken.

But not really. This is from some gastronomical Vietnamese site, by the way.
幻術
2005-10-14, 5:31 PM #65
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]dogs belong outside.[/QUOTE]
Dogs are den animals...they do not naturally live outside. Course if you have a dog house, ok, but why the hell do you have to act like it's the only right thing to do? If you don't want them in your house fine, most peopel do...deal with it. Having an animal living with you is much better then outside...you can better notice when it's sick, it will be more attached to you, and vice versa etc.
2005-10-14, 5:35 PM #66
Attachment: 7792/LOL.gif (12,067 bytes)
幻術
2005-10-14, 6:22 PM #67
Quote:
Oh please...a dogs psyche is not nearly as complex and sensitive as a human's...not even close. Unless you viciously abuse an animal for the a long period of time, it's not going to be "traumatized"...and even if it gets scared that you put in in a cage the first time, you seriously are trying to say that the puppy is going to be somehow "scarred" for the rest of it's life...yet you also say that once they get into the routine its fine...really man your arguments and thought process are all over the place. It just doesn't make sense.

:rolleyes:
2005-10-14, 7:23 PM #68
Mother dogs will beat their children up until they learn things in the wild. The only reason anyone spews that 'sensative' BS is because they're spineless and can't look at a dog after they've spanked it. Same with a kid.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-14, 7:31 PM #69

Way to win an argument man! No need for logic, that's for wusses!
2005-10-14, 8:04 PM #70
Why would you let the puppy be anywhere near the bed? Shut the door.

If you're in the middle of house breaking an animal, don't let them be in places like that for long periods of time, especially if they're unattended.

Obviously you need to punish the pup some in order to help train it but also be sure it can't do it again.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-10-14, 10:06 PM #71
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Mother dogs will beat their children up until they learn things in the wild. The only reason anyone spews that 'sensative' BS is because they're spineless and can't look at a dog after they've spanked it. Same with a kid.
Scruffing a puppy is a bit different than beating it.
2005-10-14, 11:07 PM #72
So, we agree, then.

Dogs belong outside 24 hours a day, in a cage, wallowing in their own fecal matter, and deserve hourly beatingts.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-14, 11:13 PM #73

MY GOD YOU DESTROYED ME...

How ever will I recover from that mental beating...you just bested me in every intelligent way possible...the rolleyes is too powerful...it must be stopped.
2005-10-14, 11:15 PM #74
Hey! I have a dog and only beat her every other day so she doesn't see it coming, she has a bad memory. (joking)
MastaX
2005-10-15, 11:46 AM #75
Quote:
MY GOD YOU DESTROYED ME...

How ever will I recover from that mental beating...you just bested me in every intelligent way possible...the rolleyes is too powerful...it must be stopped.

Yeah, I only wish it was as powerful as your ignorance.
2005-10-15, 12:50 PM #76
Yeah, I only wish it was as powerful as your ignorance.

His ignorance? You have not backed up your claims at all. They go against common sense, logic and everything that I have ever learned about psychology.

↑ Up to the top!