Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Looking for a major in college...
Looking for a major in college...
2005-10-21, 7:36 AM #41
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
While we're on the subject, what is the difference between Comp Sci, COmputer Engineering, and Software Engineering?

Comp Sci==code monkey, 4 years of college.
Software Engineering==theoretical stuff, more money, less code-monkeying, 5 years of college

I THINK (emphasis) Computer Engineering has more to do with hardware than software, but I could very well be wrong.
D E A T H
2005-10-21, 7:39 AM #42
Software Engineer is more along the lines of a systems analyst - you assess what a system needs, and then make the system.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-10-21, 9:24 AM #43
The truth is that in the actual industry compsci, comp engineering, and software engineers all get can get hired for the same jobs
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-21, 9:55 AM #44
Erm, there is NO way a comp sci major would get hired for a computer engineering position. Ever.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-21, 10:18 AM #45
But the other way around is quite possible
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-21, 10:36 AM #46
So is SE more regrettable than CS? Everyone seems to be hating on CS, but is SE any better?
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-10-21, 11:45 AM #47
Originally posted by Emon:
Erm, there is NO way a comp sci major would get hired for a computer engineering position. Ever.

I wouldn't say that. Depending on the workplace, they may train a CS major to do some CE stuff, and then promote him in that direction if he does well. Believe me, it happens. Several Mizzou graduates that have come back to speak to the Engineering school are living proof.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-10-22, 2:35 PM #48
Originally posted by Tenshu:
I don't want to be the one who blocked out that possibility for you. Please, go inform yourself beyond the internet, see through some textbooks and examine your own background/interests. Maybe take the MCATS or something, see how it goes.

EDIT: oh

AND I FAILED BOTH CHEMISTRY AND PHYSICS IN HIGH SCHOOL
AND I'M A TOTAL RETARD
AND I HAVE CONCENTRATION ISSUES

If I can do this, and I can, you sure as hell can too.

Well, it wasn't that you presented it as hard, just boring a filled with rote memorization. Which admittedly it can be at points, but the majority of the time it can be stimulating to the ol' noggin.

Heh, once you take the MCAT you might as well go to medical school, because it isn't cheap, and the amount of preparation needed is decent.

Anyway, Mr. Knobz, before you choose anything, ask these three questions:

1.) Will I be able to obtain a decent-paying job fairly easily with this degree? (Read: Most humanity majors don't really apply to this)

2.) Is the field stable, and does it have a future or do I have to worry about layoffs and their ilk (Read: many fields of engineering pay well (and can be very rewarding intellectually), but layoffs can be a beeyatch

3.) Am I capable to do the job well? (Read: being a PhD in any field can pay well, but you need to be an exceptional person in some cases. Also having a degree of empathy helps in medicine.)

4.) Can I actually see myself doing the job?
2005-10-22, 2:48 PM #49
[QUOTE=Lord Kuat]Well, it wasn't that you presented it as hard, just boring a filled with rote memorization. Which admittedly it can be at points, but the majority of the time it can be stimulating to the ol' noggin.[/quote]

Oh no, I think uni is incredibly stimulating intellectually. Anatomy, molecular biology, cell physiology, etc... are all awesome.

Quote:
1.) Will I be able to obtain a decent-paying job fairly easily with this degree? (Read: Most humanity majors don't really apply to this)

Why is that?
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-10-22, 2:52 PM #50
Ok, as a CE (CPE at our school) I can say this:

A CE degree is basically an electrical engineering degree, only instead of technical electives you take core computer science classes, with a focus on machine language, data structures, and low level languages. CE degrees also tend to be harder to get, and may take longer (our CE degree is listed as a 4.5 year program).
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-10-22, 3:22 PM #51
ME is awesome. Calc 1-3, Diff-Eq, Physics 1-2, Chem 1-2, a lot of specific physics classes (statics, thermo, etc.), the labs are great though. I'm taking apart a lawnmower motor on Tuesday, I'm on the school's SAE Formula team, where we'll build a formula racer for the SAE's competition. Consider it if you're more into hands-on.
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2005-10-22, 8:26 PM #52
Oh no, I think uni is incredibly stimulating intellectually. Anatomy, molecular biology, cell physiology, etc... are all awesome.

Heh, refer to your first post man:

Quote:
Medicine is cool, but you don't have to be smart at all - just be sure to have a good memory. You'll need it when learning a few hundred of these
and while spending time memorizing the names of the little cuts in your bone. Yes I said 'hundreds'. And I can't even remember what I had for lunch.

That was what I was referring too, heh. It seems to me the message to be had from this is that medicine = rote memorization. No offense, mind you.

Why is that?

I know people who were english majors who had to pursue something tangential or non related to that feild (such as becoming a pharmacist). What I'm saying is that your degree should have some application to what you do in the future, as that will probably help you. Otherwise, IMHO, you are wasting your time. Kill two birds with one stone and all that.

↑ Up to the top!