Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Looking for a good inexpensive laptop
Looking for a good inexpensive laptop
2005-10-14, 9:47 PM #1
I need something reasonably good at a nice price that will be used primarily for audio editing/recording. I'm not too particular on any extras beyond audio.

Emphasis on inexpensive.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-10-14, 9:54 PM #2
You can get a used IBM T21 Notebook fairly cheep on eBay. I have one that is 900 Mhz with 512 mg ram and it does everything I need it to just fine. You can get one for about 300 bucks.
MastaX
2005-10-15, 2:12 AM #3
Bottom-of-the-line Mac iBook + Digidesign M-Box. If you're going to do audio, do it right.

Or one of those cheap Dells and a portable audio interface (Firewire or USB), like the M-Box or any of the much cheaper ones.
2005-10-15, 2:10 PM #4
iBooks are nice.
D E A T H
2005-10-15, 2:37 PM #5
But if I buy something mac-based, I'll probably have to buy new software. :(

All of my audio software is for pc.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2005-10-15, 7:55 PM #6
The M-Box comes with Pro Tools LE, which works with both PC and Mac.

You really need to be more specific about what you are looking for. How many simultaneous tracks do you want to record at once? Do you want to just record, or do you also want to mix? Would you buy a used laptop? What is your budget (other than "inexpensive") ?
2005-10-15, 8:03 PM #7
Look into Dell they have some nice ones for cheap and the warrenty isn't bad on them...
2005-10-16, 12:16 AM #8
I'm looking for a cheap laptop as well, for playing Dungeons and Dragons. All it would need to do is run some character generators and open pdfs. Any suggestions?

↑ Up to the top!