Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Any Massassian dancers here??
Any Massassian dancers here??
2005-10-14, 10:17 PM #1
I'm going to [my first] homecoming dance and I can't dance worth crap when I'm nervous, and I will definately be very nervous with all these peers around when I'm dancing with my girlfriend. So give me some advice on how to loosen up, or maybe some techinques on dancing free and flowing. I know this is a pretty wierd request but any help is greatly appreciated! ;)
2005-10-14, 10:20 PM #2
A shot of vodka or two. Or..you know..not, if you're under drinking age.

I don't know what to say.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-10-14, 10:21 PM #3
I dance haha

It really differs depending on how you'd like to dance, but best advice I can give you is to just have fun .. if you know the song, follow it, act stuff from the song out, but most of all look natural and let it all come out without looking like you're thinking about it too much or being too mechanical

For PARTNERED dances
Again depends on type of dance. Fast paced stuff (swing, salsa) MAKE SURE you stay on beat .. you might want to consult dancers of those disciplines for stuff cuz my salsa is nonexistant and my swing is pretty elementary
Ballroom is just staying on rhythm n being graceful, unless you want to get into fancy hard stuff which I can't help you on
一个大西瓜
2005-10-14, 10:29 PM #4
Turn on some music and start dancing a little bit in your room. try to get the feel for the beats from different songs and such. Other than that, don't think about it too much. Maybe even invite your GF over and practice a couple of times before hand.

That failing . . .
Pissed Off?
2005-10-14, 10:33 PM #5

[http://www.trikone.org/store/magazine/images/1995-01.jpg]
幻術
2005-10-14, 10:41 PM #6
I used to be good at dancing in High school-- I haven't done it in practically forever. All you need to do it is some good music and some balls.

The key is to move your hips constantly. Freeform dancing is like vertical sex, in a way. Just loosen up, add some variety to your moves, and then go out there and have fun with it. Feel the beat of the music and move your hips with it, in circles, back and forth, etc at random. Just get into it and feel confident in your abilities, and the rest will handle itself.

Even if oyu know zero technique and just go out there and dance like an idiot, you will get good results if you do it with absolute confidence.

If you do it right, you will have at least 3 chicks grinding you simultaneously on the dance floor (I'm not here to brag, but that's what happened when I first learned how to do it in junior year-- by senior year I had become somewhat of a dance legend)

My signature move is to dance with a chick in front of me during the fast songs, and when the music picked up, I would hold her hands and lift them up high. THEY LOVE IT!

Also, be prepared to sweat. A lot. Those dance floors get HOT, so keep yourself hydrated and stop for a break every so often. Also, double up on the deodorant before the dance.
2005-10-14, 10:43 PM #7
Originally posted by Delphian:
I'm going to [my first] homecoming dance and I can't dance worth crap when I'm nervous, and I will definately be very nervous with all these peers around when I'm dancing with my girlfriend. So give me some advice on how to loosen up, or maybe some techinques on dancing free and flowing. I know this is a pretty wierd request but any help is greatly appreciated! ;)

Don't worry, no one else there will be able to dance either.
MastaX
2005-10-14, 11:04 PM #8
No..really...drink some booze. A couple beers or a couple shots...
2005-10-14, 11:06 PM #9
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]No..really...drink some booze. A couple beers or a couple shots...[/QUOTE]

Why would you encourage minors to break the law? :rolleyes:
MastaX
2005-10-14, 11:33 PM #10
Why wouldn't you?
2005-10-14, 11:38 PM #11
I can only dance to ska. They never play ska at dances. :(
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2005-10-14, 11:41 PM #12
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Why wouldn't you?

Why wouldn't you?
MastaX
2005-10-15, 12:01 AM #13
Originally posted by MastaX:
Why wouldn't you?

Why are you such a goddamn prude?.... I hate to resort to such low browed insults, but your a ****in geek.
2005-10-15, 12:03 AM #14
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]Why are you such a goddamn prude?.... I hate to resort to such low browed insults, but your a ****in geek.[/QUOTE]

Heh. For someone which such brain power it sure is easy to wind you up. Dance puppet dance! :D
MastaX
2005-10-15, 12:05 AM #15
Heh. For someone which such brain power it sure is easy to wind you up. Dance puppet dance! :D

What can I say, Im ****in drunk.
2005-10-15, 12:09 AM #16
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]What can I say, Im ****in drunk.[/QUOTE]

I thought that made you more intelligent!?
MastaX
2005-10-15, 12:11 AM #17
Watch This Video many times. This guy is a dancing legend.

Oh, it may help if you travel the world too.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-10-15, 12:12 AM #18
I thought that made you more intelligent!?

You did? Where did you get that idea?
2005-10-15, 12:16 AM #19
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]You did? Where did you get that idea?[/QUOTE]

Quick here is a blunt for you, now tell us the secrets of the universe!

[http://www.crownvic.us/forum/images/smilies/new/rofl2.gif]
MastaX
2005-10-15, 12:23 AM #20
Quick here is a blunt for you, now tell us the secrets of the universe!

[http://www.crownvic.us/forum/images/smilies/new/rofl2.gif]

WIT. ASTOUNDING...TOO MUCH...MUST SELF DESTRUCT.
2005-10-15, 12:26 AM #21
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]WIT. ASTOUNDING...TOO MUCH...MUST SELF DESTRUCT.[/QUOTE]

What can I say? You're drunk.
MastaX
2005-10-15, 12:32 AM #22
What can I say? You're drunk.

Zing....another punchline. You really got me there with that comedic wit of yours.
2005-10-15, 12:35 AM #23
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]Zing....another punchline. You really got me there with that comedic wit of yours.[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir!

*waits for another joke about my mother*

What? I wasn't funny this time?
MastaX
2005-10-15, 12:35 AM #24
Thank you sir!

*waits for another joke about my mother*

What? I wasn't funny this time?

You really think I'm trying to be insulting or funny don't you? Sad...
2005-10-15, 12:38 AM #25
[QUOTE=Raoul Duke]You really think I'm trying to be insulting or funny don't you? Sad...[/QUOTE]

Do you know what you're trying to do? After all you are drunk.
MastaX
2005-10-15, 11:31 AM #26
HANDBAGS AT DAWN
2005-10-15, 11:47 AM #27
Why wouldn't you?

I would

Originally posted by Ric_Olie:
Watch This Video many times. This guy is a dancing legend.

Oh, it may help if you travel the world too.

THAT'S FREAKING AWESOME!
一个大西瓜
2005-10-15, 1:45 PM #28
I already have a girlfiend, if I start grinding with 3 other chicks I'm pretty sure she'd slap me and walk away. :p
2005-10-15, 1:47 PM #29
Then grind with her.
Pissed Off?
2005-10-15, 1:49 PM #30
This thread is funny.

As for dancing, just don't worry about it. I don't know **** about dancing, but hey, I was still able to go to dances back in highschool and have a good time. Trust me; you won't stand out; nobody knows how to dance.
Stuff
2005-10-15, 1:53 PM #31
Grab a broomhandle and do it Star Wars Kid style.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-10-15, 2:56 PM #32
I do some zig-zag (swing for you lined folk)

Go, Daddy O'!
2005-10-15, 2:58 PM #33
None of you can dance. I can bet 20 on it. Except Pommy.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-10-15, 3:51 PM #34
I can dance. I can really only give you so much advice without actually being there to show you some moves. Just sway with the beat on the slow songs and give her a few spins spaced throughout the course of the song (girls like spinning in dresses cause it makes 'em look pretty). Do you know how to even get into ballroom position? Assuming you do (get someone to at least show you that if you don't) your right hand should be on her upper back and her right hand should be in your left hand. Just give her a gentle push with your right hand, helping her spin toward you and also spin her with your left hand (which you should raise high enough for her head to clear your arm). I hope that made sense but if not I can clairify. On the fast songs I can't help you much because I'm terrible at swing and most other fast paced dances. Just don't sweat it. You'll be fine. Can she dance? If she can't then you have even less to worry about.
If curiosity killed the cat then perhaps Curious George killed the cat.
But Cat's do have nine lives so who knows?
2005-10-15, 3:56 PM #35
Genki is a Massassi dancer...

[http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/houseofsporks/stuffs/genkihaha.jpg]
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2005-10-15, 4:06 PM #36
Poor Genki :(
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-10-15, 4:12 PM #37
Originally posted by Ubuu:
None of you can dance. I can bet 20 on it. Except Pommy.

Do you mean dancing to modern pop and hip-hop songs, or more traditional swing, salsa, ballroom, cha-cha etc.? Because if it's the latter, I wouldn't be so sure that at least one Massassian doesn't know it.

I did know swing pretty well some time ago, but it's been several years since I've danced. I've forgotten most everything.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-10-15, 4:14 PM #38
only dancing i've done are in secret or ddr.
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod

↑ Up to the top!