Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Could Any Athletes Give Me an Opinion on this?
Could Any Athletes Give Me an Opinion on this?
2005-10-17, 3:13 PM #1
I am not a very strong person, nor am I very athletic. I can probably only bench about 90 lbs, and during my Cross Country season in 9th grade, my PR for a 5k was only 23:56, so nothing very good. However, people have often commented on how muscular my legs are. When I measured them, I think my calves were about 16 inches around. However, I never workout on either my lower or upper body, despite some of the comments on my legs.

So, I recall in 5th grade I was pretty good at jumping. I did a standing broad jump at a mini-field day contest and won first place with a distance of 5 feet 9 inches, if I recall. So just today I was walking my dogs and thinking, "hey, why don't I try to see how far I can jump now." So I got out a couple of pens and a tape measure, put one pen in front of my feet, and jumped. I put the 2nd pen where my feet landed, and then stepped back and measured. I took a distance of about 9 feet. I tried 2 more times, consistently at about 9 feet. So I thought to myself "wow, this is pretty good, better than I expected" since I didn't imagine I'd go much more than 6 feet.

So I go on-line, and find out from here - http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/stndjump.htm - that I did pretty darn well, after I converted my 9 feet to 2.74 meters here - http://www.metric4us.com/calculator.html - which put me at about the 60th percentile of world class male athletes. For the age range of 15-16, apparently 2.01 and beyond are in the excellent range (I'm 17).

So, I'm just wondering if this is no big deal or if it's quite surprising. I've never done any track, don't workout, have not practiced this technique before, and wasn't really doing it with ideal conditions/clothing/etc. I'm just wondering if I could get a lot better at this with practice. Since I don't have much to be proud of athletically, I figured I'd see if I at least had bragging rights in one area. :p

I don't know, maybe this is pretty commonplace. I'm just curious what any Massassians with expereince in this might know. For the record, I'm 17 years old male, 6 feet 2 inches tall and about 165 lbs.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-10-17, 3:25 PM #2
It doesn't really matter how much you weigh or how little you work out, some people are just talented naturally without explanation in certain things.
2005-10-17, 3:34 PM #3
I don't think anyone can just be talented on something or sports for no real reason.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-17, 3:41 PM #4
When you jumped did you jump standing still or did you have a running start? If you were standing still or had a slight running start, I would recommend going out for long and/or triple jump. With proper technique I bet you can start right off jumping 14'-16'
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-10-17, 3:47 PM #5
I read that as "you can start off high jumping 14'-16'"

because of the 'right'... >_< impressive
2005-10-17, 3:47 PM #6
Get out there and r0xx0r t3h pL4net!1!
Your skill in reading has increased by 1 point.
2005-10-17, 3:47 PM #7
I was standing still. However, my feet did stumble slightly. One foot remained rooted, so I simply brought my farthest foot back to where my first one landed. My measures were all about 9 feet, give or take a few inches, but none went below 8 feet 6 inches (250 cm).

JediGandalf, I know you have quite a bit of experience with track and field, I've read some of your previous posts. I was wondering if you know what contributed towards my ability to do this? Really I mean, for anyone, what determines/helps people's ability to jump distances. Also, would my running jump be equally good based on my standing jump, or is it possible there would be a major discrepancy?

Thanks for the input so far. :)
2005-10-17, 3:54 PM #8
i can move silently like a cat, and run faster than a cheetah.

Yep I rule.

ps, Vader, you have extremely fat legs, but that could be a good thing.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-10-17, 3:58 PM #9
Stretch and do it. When I say stretch, I mean figure four, forehead to knee. Then jump. And tell me how far (meters plzkthx).

Oh yeah, pics plzkthxbye

[edit:]
Originally posted by Echoman:
I don't think anyone can just be talented on something or sports for no real reason.

I dissagree!
2005-10-17, 4:10 PM #10
Quote:
Jay: YOU SUCK.
Kyle: NO U
Kyle: I'm trying to think of something suitable to post it Daft's fat legs thread

Jay: Hmm
Jay: A picture of a FATMAN.
Kyle: i could make fun of his fat legs, but my legs are fat too
Kyle: except i suck at jumping
Kyle: kicking, though...
Kyle: also, i have a relatively large amount of upper body strength
Kyle: i.e. enough to almost lift up the back end of a pickup truck

Jay: Well, I can almost lift up the back end of YOU.
Jay: err
Jay: >.>
Jay: <.<
Kyle: sounds kinky[/b]

Thought this should go in here. :p

And before someone comes in here and says something stupid like LOLZ UR LYING YUO CANT PICK UP A TRUK, yeah, I might have been exaggerating. So STFU pre-emptively.
Stuff
2005-10-17, 4:17 PM #11
Hmm, it appears my first measures were inaccurate. Upon attempting the standing jump about 5 more times, I tend to average about 8 feet 3 inches and have yet to exceed 8 feet 6 inches. :/

I did these tests inside on carpet without shoes on. The first ones I did outside with shoes on. I don't know how this would affect the results.
2005-10-17, 4:19 PM #12
Originally posted by kyle90:
Thought this should go in here. :p

And before someone comes in here and says something stupid like LOLZ UR LYING YUO CANT PICK UP A TRUK, yeah, I might have been exaggerating. So STFU pre-emptively.

Haha, Kyle, you make me laugh...

...and cry...

>_>

<_<
2005-10-17, 4:20 PM #13
Quote:
18:04:24) Kyle: sounds kinky
(18:04:35) Me: Dude this totallie should be in that thread.
(18:05:36) Kyle has closed the conversation window.
(18:05:44) Me: Why did you go in the ATHLETE'S thread.
(18:05:48) Kyle: shut up
(18:05:50) Kyle: i'm posting it
(18:05:50) Me: >.>
(18:06:01) Kyle: and besides, i'm an athlete
(18:06:08) Kyle: no wait, i'm better, i'm a MATHLETE
(18:06:14) Me: OH SNAP

>.>

Originally posted by Daft_Vader:
Hmm, it appears my first measures were inaccurate. Upon attempting the standing jump about 5 more times, I tend to average about 8 feet 3 inches and have yet to exceed 8 feet 6 inches. :/

I did these tests inside on carpet without shoes on. The first ones I did outside with shoes on. I don't know how this would affect the results.

Professionals don't hold long jumping contest on carpet. Remeber, terrain effects how your performance goes. If you wear shoes on carpet, chances are you might get a better jump. Try jumping on concrete or a wooden floor (don't slip >.< )
2005-10-17, 4:22 PM #14
Hmm, I tried it indoors again with shoes, and managed to re-attain 9 feet.

0_o
2005-10-17, 4:24 PM #15
It's not bad, you have potential if you train

I say go for it if you want

My standing long jump is near (I don't recall it exceeding) 10 ft, but that's because I grew up playing basketball.

Measure your vertical.. vertical's cooler than long jump or high jump anyways :p
一个大西瓜
2005-10-17, 4:27 PM #16
Originally posted by Pommy:
It's not bad, you have potential if you train

I say go for it if you want

My standing long jump is near (I don't recall it exceeding) 10 ft, but that's because I grew up playing basketball.

Measure your vertical.. vertical's cooler than long jump or high jump anyways :p

THanks Pommy. How do you measure vertical?
2005-10-17, 4:30 PM #17
Physical fitness tests at school usually do that for you

However, you can do it like this: stand straight up against a wall, hold up your arm, and mark the highest point your fingers reach. Then, stand still, and without taking a step or running, jump as high as you can, and shoot your arm straight up and touch as high up on the same wall as you can. Measure the distance between and that's approximately your vertical.

BTW, I exaggerated (or I got crappy from not playing basketball for a year). Just tried standing long jump right now and I end up around 9 ft 9-10 inches. Not quite 10 blah

An athlete's vertical (depending on the athlete and the training) is usually around 22-26 inches, around 2 feet.
一个大西瓜
2005-10-17, 4:46 PM #18
Originally posted by Echoman:

Actually, some people are naturally more athletic than others.
Pissed Off?

↑ Up to the top!