Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need Help With Photoshop
Need Help With Photoshop
2005-10-17, 7:43 PM #1
Ok, i know I'm a PS noob, but I need help. I'm trying to make a poster for a Half-Life 2 movie. I have to problems I just can fix.

1) The glasses: I can't make him fit his face with the metal rims going across his ears. The size is right, but the angle of the glassess and the darkness don't match.

2)The bad cutting around his body: It looks choppy and not smooth like the pros do.

I was asking if someone could help me. Maybe even just clean it up a little. t has always been a vision of mine since I saw the models of the characters. Thanks again guys.

-KnightRider2000
Attachment: 7890/gordon.jpg (36,249 bytes)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2005-10-17, 7:49 PM #2
Use the transform thing in the Edit tab. you can do proper rotation and whatnot.

-Although frankly it would have been easier to just get a picture of Eddy in glasses.
2005-10-17, 8:32 PM #3
1) Yeah, use transform to move it around, that'll work fine. As far as the coloring, make sure the glasses are on a seperate layer, then use Brightness/Contrast and Hue/Saturation to get the look you want.

2) Zoom in with an eraser on brush mode at maybe 9px and lightly trim the entire border to smooth it out. It'll take a few minutes, but it should get the result you want.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-18, 8:27 AM #4
Cut the glasses into 2 layers. Position the lenses and the arm seperately so that they sit where you want them to, then use the Transform tools as posted above to make sure the perspective is correct. Create a third layer zoom in heaps and use the Clone tool if there is any gap between the arm and the lense.

Use Layer -> New adjustment layer on every layer. Always use adjustment layers so that you can go back and change the levels at any time. Use at least Curves and Hue/Sat on every layer. Just fiddle until it looks right. Remember you arent limited to only adjusting what you are pasting in, feel free to create an adjustment layer on the original background and fiddle with that if you just cannot get something to match. It sounds weird, but sometimes approaching a problem from a different angle helps. Once you have the 2 (or 3) glasses layers in position you could merge them into one, might make this step a little easier.

If you want a good tutorial on how to blend 2 layers, check out this.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-10-18, 10:44 AM #5
Also, when cutting something out, like in a selection, always use feather. It will automatically smooth the edges. (2px is usually enough)
2005-10-18, 5:39 PM #6
Ok I started a little on Dr. Kleiner. How does that look?

-KnightRider2000
Attachment: 7915/kleiner.jpg (37,218 bytes)
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man

↑ Up to the top!