Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Harriet Miers
Harriet Miers
2005-10-18, 2:46 PM #1
What are people thinking of Harriet Miers?

To me its far more interesting than the confirmation of Roberts because he really didn't stand any chance at all. Miers seems really up in the air, and I feel like President Bush really took a step to replace Justice O'Connor who has been the swing vote.

I hope the partisan politics that stopped many of the Senate Republicans from voting for Roberts doesn't happen this time around, because I don't think that the left side of the aisle is going to get a much better candidate.
former entrepreneur
2005-10-18, 2:59 PM #2
It seems there is much controversy over her qualifications as a judge. Has she met much experience in courts and such?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-19, 9:00 PM #3
Judicial experience has never been a requirement for a Supreme Court justice. Earl Warren, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Louis Brandeis and John Marshall (!) are some of the most highly regarded justices in American history, and none of them had been judges before they were appointed to the Supreme Court.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-10-19, 9:05 PM #4
I hear she has a lot of legal experience as a trial lawyer. As for my opinion overall, I haven't heard or read much about her, so I can't say yay or nay, although the media brings up the debate over her qualifications. I liked Roberts, though; he seemed like the all-American, kick-@ss judge candidate, based on a great professional background.
2005-10-19, 9:12 PM #5
I think the main complaint is that she's a Bush crony, not that she hasn't had experience. :p
2005-10-19, 9:15 PM #6
I don't really want to see a Supreme Justice with 80000000000 million hours of "court experience."

I want someone who has life experience, and makes decision with THEIR HEART and not a really old book.
2005-10-19, 9:24 PM #7
I dunno Rob, a lot of these people's hearts don't have a whole lot of mileage left. :p
2005-10-19, 9:52 PM #8
<3

Quote:
"President Bush defended his Supreme Court nominee, Harriet Miers, calling her 'plenty bright.' Not only that, the President also said that Miers has 'real purty hair.'"
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-10-19, 9:55 PM #9
<3 <3

Quote:
"Yesterday, Supreme Court Nominee Harriet Miers told reporters, 'President Bush is the most brilliant man I've ever met.' Actually the entire quote was 'President Bush is the most brilliant man I've ever met ... who still eats paste.'"
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2005-10-19, 11:58 PM #10
Originally posted by Rob:
I don't really want to see a Supreme Justice with 80000000000 million hours of "court experience."

I want someone who has life experience, and makes decision with THEIR HEART and not a really old book.

I'd like a justice who'll make decisions based on the really old document they're supposed to be upholding, but maybe that's asking too much.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.

↑ Up to the top!