Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What's So wrong with this?
What's So wrong with this?
2005-10-19, 12:49 PM #1
Ok so i had to decide what to make as a website i had to answer some questions and got this [attached]

He say's that because Jedi Knight is Copywrited i can't make a fan site dedicated to the series... What Gives? Did i put a answer down wrong?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
2005-10-19, 1:05 PM #2
Quote:
Sec. 107. - Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include -

(1) the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
(2) the nature of the copyrighted work;
(3) the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
(4) the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work. The fact that a work is unpublished shall not itself bar a finding of fair use if such finding is made upon consideration of all the above factors.

Thats your solution.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-10-19, 2:10 PM #3
:banned:

^I wish that was your solution.
2005-10-19, 2:11 PM #4
Originally posted by Rob:
:banned:

^I wish that was your solution.

2005-10-19, 2:14 PM #5
Isn't it okay, as long as you have something like "I don't own Jedi Knight, LucasArts or any of its affiliates" at the bottom of the page? That's how it work when you write a fanfiction about something.

Or, you could just misspell it, like Jedi Nights. (I know that's taken, but you get the picture).
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
2005-10-19, 2:15 PM #6
Jedi Nite;

The Force of LURV
2005-10-19, 3:19 PM #7
Fan sites are silly.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-10-19, 6:05 PM #8
Says the man who has 470 posts in a fansite's forum. :p
2005-10-19, 6:07 PM #9
This isn't nor was it ever a fan site.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-19, 7:20 PM #10
yet we are fans at a site...
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-10-19, 7:24 PM #11
Fantastic
2005-10-19, 7:42 PM #12
I still don't know how Massassi gets away with all this modding and stuff. Maybe the guys at LucasArts just don't care that a bunch of people are messing with a game thats 7 years old.

-KnightRider2000
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2005-10-19, 7:45 PM #13
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
I still don't know how Massassi gets away with all this modding and stuff. Maybe the guys at LucasArts just don't care that a bunch of people are messign with a game thats 7 years old.

-KnightRider2000

o.O

LEC lets people mod JK all they want.
2005-10-19, 7:47 PM #14
Didn't Lucasarts make the modding programs and say it was okay for JED and modding in general?

(don't attack me if I'm wrong...I just don't know that much about modding...which is why I probably shouldn't say anything anyways :p )
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2005-10-19, 7:50 PM #15
LEC did nothing to the modding community except say "It's alright. Just be sure to stfu n b a n00b-ganker wit dem"

Modding is still currently very difficult to learn, much less do. All the programs were made by private individuals. With privates. And privaty pirate private things. That are very private.
2005-10-19, 8:43 PM #16
Originally posted by Final_Hope__:
Didn't Lucasarts make the modding programs and say it was okay for JED and modding in general?

(don't attack me if I'm wrong...I just don't know that much about modding...which is why I probably shouldn't say anything anyways :p )

Lucasarts did absolutely nothing except allow us to discover our own ways of modding it. We are lucky, not all games get such luck. Such as Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. It's illegal to mod that game.

Raven Software, the ones who designed Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, DID release modding tools, however. This is because they realized the ability of an editing community to keep a game alive and selling far beyond where it should have stopped. If Lucasarts had their way, there would be no tools.
2005-10-19, 9:08 PM #17
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]Raven Software, the ones who designed Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, DID release modding tools, however. This is because they realized the ability of an editing community to keep a game alive and selling far beyond where it should have stopped. If Lucasarts had their way, there would be no tools.[/QUOTE]

It was also easy for Raven to release tools, as most Q3-based games had a standard of being edited by community with Radiant and what not.
2005-10-19, 9:13 PM #18
Too bad JO radiant blew freaking chunks.
2005-10-19, 10:20 PM #19
Originally posted by Anovis:

Anything else you wanna add?
2005-10-20, 1:43 PM #20
Originally posted by Rob:
Too bad JO radiant blew freaking chunks.

JK2radiant, you mean? GTKradiant does not suck.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%

↑ Up to the top!