Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Give me your sine wave.
Give me your sine wave.
2005-10-19, 4:25 PM #1
I need you to vibrate for me!

A month ago my friend asked me if I would like to play bass in a band. I said I wasn't sure because I had never used a bass, and I just got a guitar a few weeks before which I still had no idea how to use. He told me to atleast go to one practice and try it out...so I did. It was really fun, the first song he showed me was System of a Down - Sugar. It was really easy to remember [0765|0765|0765 x 2 mins] then at the end was a few more simple things. At first it was hard to keep the same tempo for so long, but now I pretty much have it down. It was really fun so I accepted, and he gave me a bass to use, which kind of broke >.> <.<. So we got a new bass, which is sexy. He then gave me a list of songs I had to learn before this friday (This was like 3 weeks ago). (System of a Down - ATWA, System of a Down - Sugar, System of a Down - Suggestions, Static X - The Only, Static X - I'm The One)

So I started to practice. I eventually got better and better. I still sucked, but atleast I could play the songs. Well on Colombus Day we had practice from 12pm - 8pm so that gave me a LOT of practice. On that day the vocalist also decided that he couldn't scream the 'ANYMORE!' in ATWA or the 'SUGAR!' in Sugar while he sang, so he gave me the job of back-up vocals! Yay! It was only one word in ATWA, and one word in Sugar, but it was still very cool.

Well a week or so ago after band practice the vocalist and guitarist start talking about lyrics, and I tell them that I used to write lyrics. They are really shocked, because they thought I'd be the last person to write anything. Well the entire band liked about 10 of the 14 songs I presented, and they voted to make me song writer. Kicka**.

A few days ago the vocalist tells me that we should drop ATWA and play 'Majority' a song that I made up. (I posted the lyrics + an mp3 in the music forum) Well I was really excited, and I showed the lyrics + mp3 to the band and they totally changed the song. (for the better. It flows better now and it's faster and heavier, but it still has the same basic feeling.) Today at band practice we decided we need more time to prepare a song of our own, so we agreed to play all covers friday, and the next time we play we can play all of our own songs.

They ALSO decided to drop ATWA because the vocalist couldn't sing it that well. I really like ATWA, so I asked them to keep it. They wouldn't listen so I said 'Well maybe if the guitarist sang in the background the song would sound better?' they decided to give it a try, but the guitarist said he couldn't sing and play guitar, so they gave the mic to me! >.< Agh! Get that thing away from me! Eventually I figured, it's only going to be heard softly in the background, so noone has to hear my crappy voice, plus if it sounds atleast a bit better, we get to play ATWA! So I give it a try, and they love it. So the vocalist turns up my mic to his volume and we try it again. They think it sounds even better. *blush* It's really weird. Because I am usually embarassed to sing at all, but when I hear the music in my ear I get so pumped up and I just give it my all. So according to the rest of the band I have a pretty good voice....news to me. But good news :)

So basically within a few weeks of picking up an instrument, I joined a band, learned 5 songs, got picked as a song writer, and went from screaming a few words in a song to singing the entire vocals to a song. Awesome.

So we are playing Friday night, and I am really pumped up, and I can't wait to get out and play infront of a bunch of people. Any vibrations?! Any advice?!
Think while it's still legal.
2005-10-19, 4:30 PM #2
Break your instruments and eat bats!
2005-10-19, 4:31 PM #3
Make music with real instruments!
nope.
2005-10-19, 4:32 PM #4
Also let me do remixxxes k
2005-10-19, 4:35 PM #5
You can remix any Static X and System of a Down song you'd like. :p
2005-10-19, 4:54 PM #6
*vibrates at a mixture of several sinusoidal frequencies and amplitudes derived from the Fourier transform of "System of a Down - ATWA"*
Stuff
2005-10-19, 5:01 PM #7
Victor forgot to post MP3s of him singing.

2005-10-19, 5:02 PM #8
I'll post a video of me playing/singing friday night :P
2005-10-19, 5:33 PM #9
hehe
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-19, 5:38 PM #10
1. That's old.
2. Stop trying to pull the thread in another direction.
3. That's old.
2005-10-19, 5:55 PM #11
Don't screw up!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-10-19, 6:06 PM #12
I swear to God, Victor, if you screw up, well I'd outta...
2005-10-19, 6:09 PM #13
:p I'm more excited than nervous. I'm not really nervous, but I bet I will be friday. Even if I mess up, I know it will be fun.
2005-10-19, 6:19 PM #14
Yes, don't let the dozens, possibly even over a hundred of your peers get to you, with their judging eyes and ears.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-10-19, 6:45 PM #15
Originally posted by kyle90:
*vibrates at a mixture of several sinusoidal frequencies and amplitudes derived from the Fourier transform of "System of a Down - ATWA"*

Fourier transforms are evil. Laplace > Fourier.

*Generates an impulse train on channel 1, square wave on channel 2, and sawtooth on channel 3.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-10-19, 6:48 PM #16
/me predicts the band will break up because they can never agree on what songs to play
2005-10-19, 6:54 PM #17
I think 'college' is a better reason for us breaking up.
2005-10-19, 6:58 PM #18
:)
2005-10-20, 1:17 PM #19
your band "picks" a songwriter?

thats silly
2005-10-20, 1:30 PM #20
bah don't play SoaD... a new bassist with little experience should jump in and play some funk for their first live performance
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-10-20, 2:05 PM #21
Originally posted by Echoman:

Teehee, although true.

Forget System of a Down. Listen to Winger!
2005-10-20, 4:51 PM #22
*vibrates according to this*
Attachment: 7955/wave_eq.gif (972 bytes)
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.

↑ Up to the top!