Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Openoffice.org 2.0 released
Openoffice.org 2.0 released
2005-10-20, 12:10 PM #1
It's out of beta.... they claimed it would be released before the current milk in your refrigerator went bad, and they lived up to that promise.

be sure to grab it now... loads of people are hammering the servers right now so speeds are slow, some servers are even 421 (too many users) , but if you look around you should be able to find a fast server.

http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/index.html
2005-10-20, 12:25 PM #2
W00t is all I have to say to this.
Now to see if it is already in the portage-tree...
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-20, 12:39 PM #3
Hmmm interesting I might pick it up...
2005-10-20, 1:04 PM #4
Hmm. Is it better than Microsoft Office?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-20, 1:50 PM #5
It's free. And so far I deem it better than MS Works, an Office knock-off that's NOT free.

I haven't used Office enough to compare the two directly.

2005-10-20, 1:58 PM #6
D/l'ed it before class today, was going to install it after I finish a report I'm working on
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-20, 2:00 PM #7
Originally posted by Echoman:
Hmm. Is it better than Microsoft Office?

Well, from what I hear, functionality is relatively the same between them; they can do spreadsheeting, word processing, and all that good stuff. The cool thing with OpenOffice is that it can read MS file types like those of Excel and Powerpoint. One downside of OpenOffice is that it is slow; it's programmed in Java :(
2005-10-20, 2:06 PM #8
OpenOffice 2.0 is not slow at all, and the speed problems are NOT because of Java. JAVA IS NOT SLOW, PEOPLE. GET OVER IT.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-10-20, 2:48 PM #9
Originally posted by Emon:
OpenOffice 2.0 is not slow at all, and the speed problems are NOT because of Java. JAVA IS NOT SLOW, PEOPLE. GET OVER IT.

Java is slow, get over it. However, the speed problems are probably due to the bloated code base. It's difficult to be feature rich, but lean at the same time.

It is a tad sluggish, but i wouldn't call OpenOffice 2.0 slow. I hope they fixed the backspace key; it didn't work on the FreeBSD machines I administer in a lab.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2005-10-20, 4:37 PM #10
JAVA IS NOT SLOW, PEOPLE. GET OVER IT.

Originally posted by Malus:
Java is slow, get over it.

Beginnings of a flame war?
2005-10-20, 5:26 PM #11
Originally posted by Malus:
Java is slow, get over it.

It's slower but it's not some horribly slow piece of junk. JIT compiled Java = machine code.
2005-10-20, 5:29 PM #12
It's not slow because it's written in Java. If it's slow it's because it's poorly programmed.

And besides, be more specific. Are you talking about loading time, or are you talking about yping, or what, exactly? Your argument doesn't have credibility because we don't know what the problem is.

Let's face it. Word processors don't NEED to be fast. But if there's lag time between when you type a key and when a character appears on the screen, then there are FAR more serious issues than the language it was programmed in.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-20, 5:38 PM #13
OpenOffice 2.0 is quite zippy for me, and half the time I'm using it over remote desktop.
2005-10-20, 6:24 PM #14
Hmmm well after checking it out... I'm gonna use it to look at open office files I get from my Linux teacher... but... I personally prefer MS Word... this one is a memory hog.
2005-10-22, 6:52 AM #15
I recently downloaded NeoOffice/J (which is OO1.1 converted to mac) and it is nippy. I might have a look at v2 for mac - although neoJ looks fugly compared to office for mac.
2005-10-22, 9:27 AM #16
52 MB of RAM for a complete, full-featured word processor is hogging memory?
2005-10-22, 9:53 AM #17
52 MB of RAM for a complete, full-featured word processor is hogging memory?

It is when MS Word only uses 22MB.

↑ Up to the top!