Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari
Cave Story ~ Doukutsu Monogatari
2005-10-22, 10:08 AM #1
Put simply: A small game of epic proportions.
http://agtp.romhack.net/doukutsu.html (site with info)
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/FreeSoft/Doukutsu.html (download)
http://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/win95/game/fh369479.html (direct download link)
http://agtp.romhack.net/download/doukutsu.zip (english patch)
[http://agtp.romhack.net/images/doukutsu/7.png]
[http://agtp.romhack.net/images/doukutsu/8.png]

"Cave Story is a freeware sidescrolling action/adventure/platformer title with leanings towards Wonderboy and recent sidescrolling Castlevania titles. You control a little amnesiac who runs around helping out these rabbit-ish creatures called Mimigas while trying to find your way out of the giant cave inside the floating island which makes up the game's setting.

You can expand your health meter by collecting Life Capsules in similar fashion to Metroid games, while you can get stronger by collecting energy to boost your firearms' output. Each weapon can be built up to the maximum level (3) fairly quickly, but taking damage will drain energy from its experience meter, sometimes causing it to level down. Given how quickly they power up this only tends to be an issue during boss fights, and even then there's usually plenty of opportunities for collecting more weapon energy."

Metroid. Wonder Boy. Mega Man?
It's all these and so much more. Multiple weapons, multiple endings, super ultra hard mode (hidden). Awesome, fast gameplay.

Hands down the greatest free game I've ever played. And just over a meg? holy crap!

Play it, you know you want to. The perfect game to use your gamepad with. The keyboard controls are easy, too!

So yeah, download it!
do it
</sarcasm>
<Anovis> mmmm I wanna lick your wet, Mentis.
2005-10-22, 10:11 AM #2
Truly a fantastic game. I'd have gladly coughed up actual money for this.
You can't judge a book by it's file size
2005-10-22, 10:15 AM #3
Heh, nevermind.
2005-10-22, 10:19 AM #4
updated first post with direct download link
</sarcasm>
2005-10-22, 10:22 AM #5
Oh.My.God.......THEY HAVE ARMS?!
2005-10-22, 10:39 AM #6
I love that game. Anybody else ever beat the "hell" level in it? If so what was your time?
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-10-22, 10:40 AM #7
[QUOTE=West Wind]I love that game. Anybody else ever beat the "hell" level in it? If so what was your time?[/QUOTE]
I haven't because I need a gamepad. It's very difficult with a keyboard. I'm hopefully getting a gamecube adaptor next payday.
</sarcasm>
2005-10-22, 11:47 AM #8
13"36'08 is my best time through "hell"... I know, there are some insane people who beat hell in less than 3"00"00, but still, "hell" is HARD...

Also... I found Curly's Panties... :D
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either

2005-10-22, 1:27 PM #9
I haven't played the hell level, probably going to go through it again when I can. The music is...excellent. Honestly, best sidescroller I've ever played.
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 1:52 PM #10
It's not as good as metroid, imo, but it's reallly good. I'm in Arthur's house right now.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-22, 2:57 PM #11
If you haven't beaten the game, then you can't say how good it is, as the truly excellent parts come at the end.
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 3:07 PM #12
The Music from this game is amazing. All made by one guy...

2005-10-22, 4:43 PM #13
Enemy Territory!
2005-10-22, 6:08 PM #14
[QUOTE=West Wind]The Music from this game is amazing. All made by one guy...[/QUOTE]

I don't think a single-man production has ever been so freaking awesome. Ever.
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 6:10 PM #15
This game is awesome. Spent a few hours playing. I'm at the "Final Cave" screen. I keep dying. I'll finish it later.

2005-10-22, 7:08 PM #16
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I don't think a single-man production has ever been so freaking awesome. Ever.[/QUOTE]

It is... They did an interview with the guy... mabey ill see if i can dig it up...

[EDIT]

http://www.tigsource.com/features/interview_pixel.html

[/EDIT]

2005-10-22, 7:16 PM #17
[QUOTE=West Wind]It is... They did an interview with the guy... mabey ill see if i can dig it up...

[EDIT]

http://www.tigsource.com/features/interview_pixel.html

[/EDIT][/QUOTE]

I know it's a single-guy job, I was saying nothing else has been so awesome.
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 7:17 PM #18
opps... mis-read... Anyway enjoy the interview...

2005-10-22, 7:37 PM #19
Causes my comp to go into a HARD BSOD... WTF?! No game/program yet has made this computer BSOD... :rolleyes:

This game looks fun, from the 5 seconds I can play of it.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-10-22, 7:53 PM #20
Originally posted by Sol:
Causes my comp to go into a HARD BSOD... WTF?! No game/program yet has made this computer BSOD... :rolleyes:

How lame. It's a great game too. Dunno what to say except look for a patch or fix or something. It's so amazing :(
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 8:39 PM #21
Originally posted by Sol:

Sad, sad days :(
</sarcasm>
2005-10-22, 9:10 PM #22
I beat the cave, now I'm stuck on the final bosses. Bleh.

[Edit: For those without an LZH extractor, I have provided a pre-patched version in a ZIP. http://junk.mzzt.net/cave_story.zip ]

2005-10-22, 9:46 PM #23
I can't seem to get past "Gum", where you fight the Giant Frog. I know missiles are all that hurt him, but I can't seem to do any damage with even a full 20.

-This game rocks.
2005-10-22, 9:47 PM #24
jarl: You can only hurt the frog when it's mouth is open. Any weapon works. That should help. :)

2005-10-22, 9:52 PM #25
:D Thanks ZZT
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-10-22, 10:07 PM #26
I played for a bit. Somewhat fun, but not AMAZING OMG! It is, however, rather addicting. A gamepad would make it enjoyable, instead of tedious, though.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-10-22, 10:10 PM #27
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I played for a bit. Somewhat fun, but not AMAZING OMG! It is, however, rather addicting. A gamepad would make it enjoyable, instead of tedious, though.

The amazing omg kicks in once you beat it. Or even get close to the end. Or realize all the hidden stuff and choices.
</sarcasm>
2005-10-22, 10:19 PM #28
Originally posted by JediKirby:

You can't just play this game for a bit, put it down and shrug it off. I did that at first, thought it was cute, went back later when I was bored, and ended up playing 6 hours straight trying to beat it. I love the game dearly, and although I do admit I played with my PS2 controller the entire way through, I think it's the single most enjoyable game I've played in a long long time.
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 11:20 PM #29
I'm stuck. :( Gum, anyone?
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-22, 11:28 PM #30
MZZT posted the solution, I think. Either way, if you look hard enough you can find tons of guides out there.
D E A T H
2005-10-22, 11:31 PM #31
I don't know anything about a giant frog. I just see this door, and it says 'gum' is written on it or something...
2005-10-23, 2:13 AM #32
Okay.. I've been playing for the past... 4 hours or so and now I'm stuck on the baby dragon bosses. :( And the save point is so far away...
2005-10-23, 12:44 PM #33
I didn't find them so hard. Just use the sword lvl 3 and make sure to hit their fireballs. Stay on the platform if you can, then most of the time you'll only have to worry about one set of fireballs.

Originally posted by Freelancer:
I'm stuck. :( Gum, anyone?

The guy stuck in the building can help you with that.

2005-10-23, 1:50 PM #34
Yeah, figured out the swords are actually good for something, ended up beating them without taking a single hit. ;)
2005-10-23, 1:57 PM #35
Enemy Territory seconded!
Magrucko Daines and the Crypt of Crola (2007)
Magrucko Daines and the Dark Youth (2010)
Magrucko Daines and the Vertical City (2016)
2005-10-23, 1:57 PM #36
Originally posted by Goit:
Enemy Territory seconded!

Go make an ET thread then and stop trolling mine.
</sarcasm>

↑ Up to the top!