Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Argh!
Argh!
2005-10-23, 9:42 PM #1
Don't you just hate when you are bidding on ebay and just when the auction is nearly over and oyu think the item is as good as yours someone comes along and outbids you at the last minute? Sneaky b******s. :mad: To add insult to injury, their bid is only about 50 cents more than what you were going to pay. If they were willing to pay signifigantly more than me for the item I wouldn't be pissed off, but to be outbid by 50 cents is just infuriating.

That just happened to me in the last thing I bid on. I was buying these plates for my parents to replace two that I acidentally broke.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=7358731314

(I am will5255 in that auction)

Post things that you almost had but were outbid on at the last minute on ebay. (don't worry about fining the ebay page if it was some time ago, just tell what the item was, your high bid, and how much you got screwed out of it by. )
2005-10-23, 9:46 PM #2
It's called bid sniping; there are programs that will help you do it.

What eBay needs to do is extend the auction time after a bid.
2005-10-23, 9:51 PM #3
Sorry if I never used Ebay but could you "bid snipe" with 1 penny to piss off the other bidder?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-23, 9:52 PM #4
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]

What eBay needs to do is extend the auction time after a bid.[/QUOTE]

it should do that or ban bid sniping altogether.
2005-10-23, 9:57 PM #5
I hate people that do that. But there is a very special hell reserved for them, along with child molestors and people that speak at the theater.
Stuff
2005-10-23, 10:07 PM #6
There's nothing wrong with bidding right before an auction is scheduled to end, but yeah, eBay should introduce a 10 minute sniping rule.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-10-23, 10:14 PM #7
Uh, am I missing something or did that guy bid 4 hours after you, page? That's hardly the last minute.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2005-10-23, 10:33 PM #8
Originally posted by Pagewizard_YKS:
To add insult to injury, their bid is only about 50 cents more than what you were going to pay. If they were willing to pay signifigantly more than me for the item I wouldn't be pissed off, but to be outbid by 50 cents is just infuriating.

You do realize that it'll always show 50 cents to a dollar over the otherwise max bid, right? :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-10-24, 6:42 AM #9
Originally posted by Freelancer:
Uh, am I missing something or did that guy bid 4 hours after you, page? That's hardly the last minute.

Apparently you don't understand what big sniping is.

The guy bid at the last minute the auction was open, not a minute after Page did. What this does is force a win, because Page would have no chance of beating it.
2005-10-24, 6:45 AM #10
I do it all the time.

Good things come to those who never wait, are impatient, and crush skulls along the way.
2005-10-24, 6:50 AM #11
A delay after a bid would be nice, but IMHO it isn't really a problem.
I mean, you have a given amount you are willing to bid. You can tell ebay to go up to this amount. But ebay will automatically always stay only about 0,5-1 $/€/£/whatever over the highest bid. So, if you are willing to go 50 cents higher, bid 50 cents more. But if the other bidder is willing to spend 1000000000$ more he will always stay 50 cents above your bid.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-10-24, 10:33 AM #12
Originally posted by Impi:
A delay after a bid would be nice, but IMHO it isn't really a problem.
I mean, you have a given amount you are willing to bid. You can tell ebay to go up to this amount. But ebay will automatically always stay only about 0,5-1 $/€/£/whatever over the highest bid. So, if you are willing to go 50 cents higher, bid 50 cents more. But if the other bidder is willing to spend 1000000000$ more he will always stay 50 cents above your bid.

Exactly.
2005-10-24, 10:40 AM #13
I don't actually use ebay, but the people I know who do always make sure they are around when the bid is due to close to make sure this doesn't happen.

Still, it doesn't make the practice any less annoying.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots

↑ Up to the top!