Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Rosa Parks died not too long ago...
Rosa Parks died not too long ago...
2005-10-24, 7:49 PM #1
Wow. Hits me hard now paticulary with some division between races on my campus right now. Great lady. Definently changed America for the better.
In Tribute to Adam Sliger. Rest in Peace

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-10-24, 7:57 PM #2
I already thought she was dead.

R.I.P. regardless.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-10-24, 7:58 PM #3
....thats pretty sad man.

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-10-24, 8:02 PM #4
Yeah, sorry I don't keep track of every historical figure's life status. I just don't find that kind of stuff important. What she did at the time was pretty significant, but her death decades later does not make it any more poignant.
2005-10-24, 8:20 PM #5
Just goes to show you didn't pay attention in school.

Still though, thats just wow.

All sorts of AWESOME people have died within the last three years of natural causes.
2005-10-24, 8:25 PM #6
Originally posted by Rob:
Just goes to show you didn't pay attention in school.

Yeah, mentioning that her actions decades ago were significant = not paying attention in school. I fail to see how whether paying attention in school would account for me not knowing whether a woman, who has not done anything remotely as significant as she did during the Civil Rights era, is dead or alive. If she, up until her death, still did things as significant I probably would find her death more of a shock. I would feel the same if someone like Jimmy Carter died today.
2005-10-24, 8:31 PM #7
Oh no. :(
2005-10-24, 8:33 PM #8
Did your school Rob go over anything Rosa Park did after she was 42? I mean, she lived 50 years after her incident. She even stated that when she did it, it was not with a desire to start the civil rights movement. It was just the event that lit the fuse.

She played part in a significant event, yes. But that's ALL we talked about with her in school. Not her latest participation in an organization.
2005-10-24, 9:06 PM #9
Nooo, what I was trying to point out, was that we went over her life, in detail, and that she wasn't dead yet.

I don't know where you live, but round these parts.. important historical figures get more than a few paragraphs of my time.

Other than that..

EXPAND YOUR MINDS KIDS, WIKIPEDIA.ORG IS THERE FOR A GOOD REASON.

That reason is for you to LEARN.

PS, the Civil Rights era is FAR from over.
2005-10-24, 9:09 PM #10
The last time I had a U.S. History class was junior year in high school. So the possibility of her dying between then and now is pretty good considering her age of death today. I do browse Wikipedia alot, but not for "Where are they now?" sessions.
2005-10-24, 9:10 PM #11
Wow, this quickly took a 180
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-10-24, 9:16 PM #12
Odd, I haven't heard about her death on the news. This would have been big news.

[edit: it came up on CNN when I just checked.]
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-10-24, 9:22 PM #13
Why is it so surprising someone doesn't know she died? I thought she was dead as well. I admire her feat in history, but I don't hold any interest in her past that.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-10-24, 9:31 PM #14
Apparently we're supposed to browse online in places like Wikipedia every year to learn about the lives of everyone whose played a part in history.

Forget learning the event they were part of, instead of focusing on our lives, lets learn what they're doing 50 years later!

:rolleyes:
2005-10-24, 9:49 PM #15
I agree with Rob here. She had no direct on you, which is probably why you casted her off to the side. I knew she was alive, but maybe thats cause she affected my life directly and its good to know if people like that are still dead or alive. Oh well, thats besides the point of this topic. It sucks. :d

10/7/85 - 12/9/03
2005-10-25, 4:52 AM #16
Who?
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-10-25, 5:13 AM #17
AKPiggott doesn't care about black people. :(

On the topic of Rosa Parks - I, too, thought she had died a few years ago. Does this make me ignorant? No. She's one of six billion people to keep track of, and, though she did something important a few decades ago, she's really done nothing since then of any relevance (except suing OutKast, it seems).
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-10-25, 9:51 AM #18
Originally posted by Wolfy:
AKPiggott doesn't care about black people. :(

I wouldn't go as far as to say that. I've just no idea who you guys are talking about and it sparked my curiosity, especially considering how important it seems to many of you.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-10-25, 10:44 AM #19
Back when busses were segregated, she was seated in the non-white section of the bus. The white section was filled, and a white guy got on. She was asked to move to another seat in the non-white section, and she refused. She was then arrested. Unintentionally created a spark for the civil rights movement.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-10-25, 12:17 PM #20
It's kind of odd that she got so much attention. I'm sure tonnes of other people did it before her.
2005-10-25, 12:25 PM #21
Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet:
It's kind of odd that she got so much attention. I'm sure tonnes of other people did it before her.

I'm sure you have a brain in there. Tons of people had them before you should have had one.
2005-10-25, 12:35 PM #22
Obi, kinda has a point y'know
And considering she managed to reach the age of 92 it's not surprising that some people thought she may have already died.
Regardless, it's sad to hear of her death.

↑ Up to the top!