Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Guitar Hero (The best game evar!)
Guitar Hero (The best game evar!)
2005-11-28, 7:28 PM #1
And that's ever with an "a"!!!

Anyways, this game recently crossed my browsing and I feel that now that I have the game, plus the proper controller, that it is absoulty necessary for any PS2 owner to get this game, especially if you are into rocking out!

The game is called "Guitar Hero". It is much like DDR in that you use a special controller to hit the notes at certain times and such, but in this case, you use a scaled replica Gibson SG Guitar as your controller. See picture below...

[http://static.flickr.com/27/68154251_75d5cb16ac_o.jpg]

Those buttons on the neck are the five "fret" buttons, that you use to hit the notes. Then of course there is the strum bar, which you hit to actually play the note. And there is a whammy bar there, which is kind of hard to see.

The guitar just feels great. You can use hammer-ons and pull-offs like a real guitar (for you real guitarists), and the reproduction of the songs is very authentic. Obviously, strings are different than buttons, but it still works great nonetheless. This is an example of what the interface typically looks like.

[http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/article/663/663674/guitar-hero-20051102074924480.jpg]

If the game didn't have great songs, it probably would suck. But RedOctane was fortunate to get just a kickass set-list. You got Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Pantera, Deep Purple, Queen, Bowie, Steve Vai, Blue Oyster Cult, Megadeth, ZZ Top, Clapton, Hendrix, and many others. And for the most part, the songs are replicated perfectly down to every note (at least on the harder modes). The vocals are really well done too, with some songs being a bit off here and there. Can anyone really replicated Freddie Mercury's voice? There are 30 "classic" songs, and 17 Indie songs mostly from the developer's various bands.

[http://static.flickr.com/33/68154253_382b2e5385_o.jpg]
An example of the second set of songs (probably my favorite other than the Face-Melters).

It's got a pretty good MP mode where you basically trade off parts of the songs. It's pretty fun to do some dueling solos AC/DC style.

The price of the game is a bit steep at 70 bucks, but you get the game, the Gibson SG Controller, some stickers, and some other stuff. Another controller will set you back about 40 dollars. It's extremly worth it, as Guitar Hero is getting a ton of hype, and a Guitar Hero 2 has already been confirmed and you can only imagine what more songs they can get. It's on many of site's top GotY list.

GET THIS GAME NOW! And here's a picture of my brother (Nubs in #massassi and forums) striking a pose.

[http://static.flickr.com/26/68154252_5b132daf32_o.jpg]
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-11-28, 7:31 PM #2
Sweet God that looks like me!
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-11-28, 7:32 PM #3
*waits for Antestarr to post*
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-11-28, 7:37 PM #4
sounds awesome... If I didn't just buy a car, I'd probably pick it up..

But dang if that guitar isn't tiny... :|
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-11-28, 7:57 PM #5
Only 5 "frets"...? How can you make good music with it? And how do they simulate the strings?

Oh well, I might check it out, being a guitarist and all that... looks interesting.

(BTW, Sharp Dressed Man on that list there = good song. My favorite ZZ Top song. :))
DO NOT WANT.
2005-11-28, 8:00 PM #6
Quote:
Only 5 "frets"...? How can you make good music with it?

Ever heard of Nirvana?

....oh...good music.
Think while it's still legal.
2005-11-28, 8:00 PM #7
Nope, never listened to Nirvana. Maybe I should.
DO NOT WANT.
2005-11-28, 8:06 PM #8
To answer a few questions.....First of the guitar isn't as small as seems in the pic. It works quite well, you can really get some action with it, it's quite light. Secondly, if you look at where my thumb is in the first picture, you flick that up and down to recreate "strumming." So there are no strings.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-11-28, 10:46 PM #9
Yeah, I've had the game for a couple weeks now and the first song I failed was Crossroads on Expert. I'm currently still trying to finish it (the second solo kills me). Hopefully I can get my friend with a video camera to catch some vids in the near future. But be warned, a couple of my performances are considered travesties against music.
Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt.
2005-11-29, 5:27 AM #10
Originally posted by Antestarr:
...But be warned, a couple of my performances are considered travesties against music.

Thats what they said about me and my Air Guitar... :o
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-11-29, 6:12 AM #11
Originally posted by gbk:

:D
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-11-29, 7:13 AM #12
Originally posted by gbk:

Maybe you were wearing this?

;)
D E A T H
2005-11-29, 10:48 AM #13
[QUOTE=Victor Van Dort]Ever heard of Nirvana?

....oh...good music.[/QUOTE]

Nirvana might have sucked with 5 frets, but Status Quo made millions of songs using just 3 chords.
nope.
2005-11-29, 11:06 AM #14
anyone here every played Guitar Freaks?

its a popular arcade game with a similar concept. its where i beleive guitar hero got its idea.

man i rocked at guitar freaks.

↑ Up to the top!