Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Et Tu Brute
Et Tu Brute
2005-11-29, 2:15 PM #1
For my reading/literature class at school, we're getting ready to read some Shakespeare stuff, and today we read a play about the assassination of Caesar (Spelling? I don't have the play with me at this moment) by Brutus, and 2 other men whose names I forgot.

I was wondering, was there any reason for the assassination aside from jealousy, or maybe thinking Caesar was getting too full of himself? I've got to read a few pages more (13 page play) and I'm in the middle of Antony's big speech at the funeral. How much of this actually happened. Was Antony really that upset over the death of Caesar, was he a fellow conspirator?

Just fill in the blanks for me, could you? This stuff interest me, and I'd like to know more about it.

[Edit]Also, I heard something about Et Tu Brute being made up by Shakespeare. Is this true?[/Edit]
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-11-29, 2:22 PM #2
It's true. Caeser said "Kai su, technon?" (and you, son) not "et tu, Brute?" And it I think it was more than just two people, I think the entire Senate went after him.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-11-29, 2:22 PM #3
They killed Ceasar because they thought he was a tyrant.
Pissed Off?
2005-11-29, 2:30 PM #4
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:
For my reading/literature class at school, we're getting ready to read some Shakespeare stuff, and today we read a play about the assassination of Caesar (Spelling? I don't have the play with me at this moment) by Brutus, and 2 other men whose names I forgot.

I was wondering, was there any reason for the assassination aside from jealousy, or maybe thinking Caesar was getting too full of himself? I've got to read a few pages more (13 page play) and I'm in the middle of Antony's big speech at the funeral. How much of this actually happened. Was Antony really that upset over the death of Caesar, was he a fellow conspirator?

Just fill in the blanks for me, could you? This stuff interest me, and I'd like to know more about it.

[Edit]Also, I heard something about Et Tu Brute being made up by Shakespeare. Is this true?[/Edit]

You're talking about the Shakespeare's Caesar, which was different from the real two main culprits: Brutus and Cassius. However, more than just those two attacked Caesar with knives, but it is believed Brutus to deliever the final blow. (Watch Rome on HBO or research it on Wiki)

They thought Caesar was a tyrant, and he was murdered by Brutus because his ancestor was the founder of the Roman Republic (SQRR). Marcus Antonious was not fully upset with his assassination, as he tried to claim power in the Second Triumverate, but he was still shooken by the murder. Cassius's forces were stoped by his.

"Kai su, technon?" is Greek for "And you, son?", which is argued over Caesar actually speaking the Latin form, "Et tu, Brute" -- "And you, Brutus?"
2005-11-29, 2:31 PM #5
Well, the script has it as Brutus, Cassius, and Casca down as the conspirators and stabbers, and the only ones involved. I just talked to my dad and he skimmed it and he asked me if I knew what the "Ides of March" were, and he told me March 15th. What's so special about March 15th?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-11-29, 2:34 PM #6
The 'Ides of March', or March 15th, as you said, is the day caeser was murdered.
A Knight's Tail
Exile: A Tale of Light in Dark
The Never Ending Story²
"I consume the life essence itself!... Preferably medium rare" - Mauldis

-----@%
2005-11-29, 2:37 PM #7
I think there's still a lot of mystery surrounding his death
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-11-29, 2:38 PM #8
Well, the script has it as Brutus, Cassius, and Casca down as the conspirators and stabbers, and the only ones involved. I just talked to my dad and he skimmed it and he asked me if I knew what the "Ides of March" were, and he told me March 15th. What's so special about March 15th?

The Ides of March actually refer to a counter reference -- each month had one, but on the Ides of March 44BC, Caesar was assassinated in the Roman Senate. Kalends marks the first, Nonnes marks the 7th day (of March, May, July, and October; 5th in the other months), and Ides are on the 15th on March, May, July, and October; the 13th in the other months.
2005-11-29, 2:42 PM #9
OK, I'm almost at the end of it and it's talking about Antonius presenting Caesar with a crown 3 times, mentioned earlier in the play. Was this a real thing that happened, and was was the signifigance of it and him refusing? He was already Caeser, was he not?
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-11-29, 2:45 PM #10
Originally posted by sugarless5:
I think there's still a lot of mystery surrounding his death

Indeed.

[Quote=Napoeon Bonaparte]History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.[/quote]

And because not much was recorded about this, many people dissagree with each other.
2005-11-29, 2:46 PM #11
OK, I'm almost at the end of it and it's talking about Antonius presenting Caesar with a crown 3 times, mentioned earlier in the play. Was this a real thing that happened, and was was the signifigance of it and him refusing? He was already Caeser, was he not?

I better not be doing your homework.
2005-11-29, 2:47 PM #12
Originally posted by Anovis:
You're talking about the Shakespeare's Caesar, which was the difference between the real two main culprits: Brutus and Cassius. However, more than just those two attacked Caesar with knives, but it is believed Brutus to deliever the final blow. (Watch Rome on HBO or research it on Wiki)

They thought Caesar was a tyrannt, and he was murdered by Brutus because his ancestor was the founder of the Roman Republic (SQRR). Marcus Anotnious was not fully upset with his assassination, as he tried to claim power in the Second Triumverate, but he was still shooken by the murder.

"Kai su, technon?" is Greek for "And you, son?", which is argued over Caesar actually speaking the Latin form, "Et tu, Brute" "And you, Brutus?"

The Second Triumvirate was Antony, Octavian (Caesar's nephew, future Emperor Augustus), and Marcus Lepidus. These three formed a rather fragile alliance to go after Brutus and Cassius (the two people proported to assassinate Caesar). After they beat up and killed both Brutus and Cassius, they went their seperate ways. And Octavian and Antony duked it out.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-11-29, 2:48 PM #13
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
The Second Triumvirate was Antony, Octavian (Caesar's nephew, future Emperor Augustus), and Marcus Lepidus. These three formed a rather fragile alliance to go after Brutus and Cassius (the two people proported to assassinate Caesar). After they beat up and killed both Brutus and Cassius, they went their seperate ways. And Octavian and Antony duked it out.

And Mr. Augustus won. Hurray, JG knows!
2005-11-29, 2:48 PM #14
OK, I finished it. Yes, it was a play but I want to know how much is fact.

1. Did Antonius get angry at Brutus and everyone who was in on the murder, and try to get the citizens to kill them all?

2. Did Antonis speak at the funeral and start the mutiny against the Senate (if there was one).

3. Did Caesar really leave every citizen 75 Drachas or whatever the currency was.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-11-29, 2:51 PM #15
Originally posted by Anovis:
I better not be doing your homework.

Don't worry, you're not. We didn't have to finish it until tommorrow, so no homework was assigned on it. We'll discuss it in class tommorrow, but nothing like what I can get from here (They are, after all, a group of 7th graders who just happen to be in my class). I'm just curious about the things that went on.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-11-29, 3:12 PM #16
I would gladly tell you, but I think you should research it from a third party.
2005-11-29, 5:33 PM #17
"And now, a unique event in cenema history: Julius Caesar on an Aldis Lamp."
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."

↑ Up to the top!