Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Need your help Massassi
Need your help Massassi
2005-11-30, 3:57 PM #1
I am a huge science fiction nerd who is in desperate need of a good sci-fi book. Some of my favorite books are Ender’s Game (pretty much any sci-fi by Orson Scott Card) and Ray Bradbury books. I love stories like Man vs. Evil Government like in 1984, but I am stuck now. I really want to read another sci-fi book like 1984 but it seems that I can’t find any. Any recommendations? Or any other personal favorite science fiction novels that you love? I really need some opinions.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-11-30, 3:58 PM #2
2001, 2010, 2061, 3000something. I can't remember the last one >_>
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-11-30, 4:01 PM #3
Let me be the first to recommmend the Mars Trilogy.
Stuff
2005-11-30, 4:08 PM #4
Let me be the second to recommend the Mars Trilogy. But actually just the first half, as I still have not gotten around to finishing it. (We seem to have this thread every year or so, and every time I say the same damn thing, I really should just bloody well start them again).
<spe> maevie - proving dykes can't fly

<Dor> You're levelling up and gaining more polys!
2005-11-30, 4:23 PM #5
Originally posted by kyle90:
Let me be the first to recommmend the Mars Trilogy.

That or:

Dune, by Frank Herbert
We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin (book that influenced Brave New World and 1984)
Rendezvous With Rama, by Arthur C. Clarke
The Mote In God's Eye, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
Stranger In A Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein
Noir, by KW Jeter
Fairwell Horizontal, by KW Jeter
Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
Slaughterhouse Five, by Kurt Vonnegut
Neuromancer, by William Gibson

Anything by Phillip K Dick, but especially:

A Scanner Darkly
Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
The Man In The High Castle
Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said
The Crack In Space

(Stay away from Lies, Inc though)

EDIT

How could I forget CS Lewis' Space Trilogy? The books, in order:

Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength

The Space Trilogy is cool in that it is set during modern day (WW2 actually, which was modern day when they were written) and assumes that the events of Lord of the Rings took place. It's not mentioned until That Hideous Strength, but the descendants of the Numenorean Kings and the Istari play an important part in the third novel.
2005-11-30, 4:24 PM #6
Are you guys talking about the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson or Ray Bradbury? I recommend reading some of the following authors, authors I find to be quite exceptional: Dan Simmons, David Brin, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Henlein, Gregory Benford, Greg Bear, and Kim Stanley Robinson. I've read a hell of a lot more but I'm currently a little tipsy so my recall is not as sharp as it normally is. I listed these authors in order of what you should read.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion series is HIGHLY arsekicking.
MithShrike: First Mateneer
Pimpin' Yerba Mate Drinker
2005-11-30, 4:26 PM #7
Originally posted by Mith:
Are you guys talking about the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson or Ray Bradbury?

You're thinking of Bradbury's Martian Chronicles. I've not read them but I've heard its good.
2005-11-30, 4:27 PM #8
I'll second Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. I also liked the 14 or so Foundation books by Isaac Asimov, but those really don't fit your 1984ish preference. Ooh, one that does though is The Giver by Lois Lowry.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-11-30, 4:34 PM #9
Btw, i'd recommend the Tripod trilogy and the prequel. The story might be a bit childish, but like the Narnian Chronicles its still great. Also the prequel is pretty good :).

*space trilogy spoiler below*

Originally posted by DSettahr:
The Space Trilogy is cool in that it is set during modern day (WW2 actually, which was modern day when they were written) and assumes that the events of Lord of the Rings took place. It's not mentioned until That Hideous Strength, but the descendants of the Numenorean Kings and the Istari play an important part in the third novel.

Hey, I just started the Hideous Strength and finished the previous two. THANKS FOR RUINING IT FOR ME JERK! Haha, j/k with you bro, you might wanna consider adding spoiler tags around it though :/
"The only crime I'm guilty of is love [of china]"
- Ruthven
me clan me mod
2005-11-30, 4:38 PM #10
Hey thanks guys, I know I passed a few of those books today at the school library, so I will check some of them out :)
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol

↑ Up to the top!