Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Saber debate
Saber debate
2005-12-02, 12:57 PM #1
As I've stated in previous threads, I've become reimmersed in Star Wars. Now, I begin to wonder about certain things in the Star Wars universe. One of the questions I ask has been debated on Massassi before, but I thought it'd be good to bring it up again.

Saber staff vs Dual sabers: rationales, pros, and cons

From my point of view and from what I've seen from videos and games...

Saber staff: More aggressive and offensive and puts an emphasis on sheer strength. Since you are still only manipulating one item, you don't have to split your strength, but might require more concentration to master since you can kill yourself much easier than with dual sabers. Many times it end up being very showy.

Dual sabers: Tends to be used more defensively(than saber staff anyway) and content to sit back and wait for opponent to open themselves up. Allows wielder to strike simultaneously. You are splitting your strength between two sabers, so you have to rely more on quickness. However, you're less likely to kill yourself than with a saber staff because you don't have to be as theatrical in the use of this form.

I think saber staff looks better, but dual sabers seems to have better utility.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-12-02, 1:03 PM #2
A saber-staff has to be wielded very much like a bo-staff , so there's only do much you can do with it in order to wield it safely. To me, it seems to be more of a defensive weapon than an offensive weapon, b/c you usually hold it in front of you and when you attack it can leave you open for a quick strike. Plus, even if you only have one side activated, you have to be strong to use it b/c you have less leverage with the longer handle.

Dual sabers definitely require speed, along with perfect hand coordination. if you are inexperienced and try to hack away at something with both sabers at once, you are probably going to block a lot of your own strikes, so I would suggest a fighting style where you attack with one and block with the other one.

Just imagine using dual saber-staffs. You would be more likely to kill yourself than your opponent.
2005-12-02, 3:02 PM #3
Well with the saber staff you can't even use it quite like a bo staff since grabbing it anywhere other than the handle would get messy. It also means that you have to move around it. With a single blade you can swing and allow the base of the hilt to pass in front of your body, not so with the staff. That explains Darth Mauls incredible wushu style moves, flinging himself around so he can move the blade in the direction he wants. You could probably direct stronger hits because of its longer handle, due to the increased leverage (I think you mixed them up there Page).

As for two blades? Well I assume the user is going to have the force and everything to give him the skills to wield such a combination. In which case, he could probably direct a higher rate of attacks and flurries than either single sabres or a sabre staff. However, he's only handling each sabre using one hand and they're probably not too physically difficult to deflect which would then leave the two sabre user more open to attack.
2005-12-02, 3:03 PM #4
Hahahaha, dorks.
2005-12-02, 3:04 PM #5
Assuming the saber staff can remain active after it leaves the hands, it would make for an excellent spear.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-12-02, 4:05 PM #6
Single saber is better than dual sabers though. More effective.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I

↑ Up to the top!