Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Smart people, help me out for a sec
Smart people, help me out for a sec
2005-12-07, 10:51 PM #1
Could somebody walk through (step by step) the integral process for surface of revolution and solid of revolution for Gabriel's Horn?

I don't mean, explain it, I understand it .. I just keep getting a different expression for V of solid and my integration skills suck too much for me to get anywhere with the surface area expression even tho it appears to be relatively simple
一个大西瓜
2005-12-07, 11:01 PM #2
I would love to, but I Failed calculus 1 and 2.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-12-07, 11:05 PM #3
and I don't even know what you're talking about. I must have a high sperm count or something. O_o
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2005-12-07, 11:11 PM #4
I could tell you everything except the integration... which... is what you need.

It's the equation 1/x spun around the X-axis 3-dimensionally making a horn. :P
In lamans terms.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-12-08, 12:24 AM #5
Volume of f(x) rotated around the X axis is pi*int(f(x)^2), aye? This is just conical area and the like. You ok on that point?

So, it's pi*int((1/x)^2)

which is pi*int(x^-2).

that is pi*((x^-1)/1), or just pi*-1/x.

The limits are a(any number>1) and 1.

Plugging that in, you get pi*(-1/a-(-1)), or just pi*(1-1/a)). I don't suppose that helps?
2005-12-08, 12:55 AM #6
Oh, yeah, that does help for volume. I'm stupid and used sqrt(x) rather than 1/x for f(x) cuz I was thinking of another problem =/ .. eheh :o
一个大西瓜
2005-12-08, 1:01 AM #7
Just to brush up on my crappy calc skills, I have some questions for lord kuat.

WHere did "pi*int(f(x)^2)," come from? That link pommy gave?

and how did you know to plug in 1/x for f(x)?
2005-12-08, 12:25 PM #8
i might help you after my stats final
2005-12-08, 12:34 PM #9
Originally posted by Sarn_Cadrill:
and I don't even know what you're talking about. I must have a high sperm count or something. O_o

That just made me realize that Homer Simpson must... :eek:
2005-12-08, 12:59 PM #10
Originally posted by Veger:
Just to brush up on my crappy calc skills, I have some questions for lord kuat.

WHere did "pi*int(f(x)^2)," come from? That link pommy gave?

and how did you know to plug in 1/x for f(x)?

Think of the cone as a bunch of slices on top of each other. Each of these slices is a circle. The area of a circle is pi*r^2. In this case, r=y. You are just moving the circle in space to form the cone. Thus pi*Int(r^2) = pi*int(y^2). Y(or f(x)) is defined by 1/x. Thus pi*int((1/x)^2). That answers both questions. You use an integral because you are trying to account for all the possible areas formed.

If I'm wrong, please correct me. In a forum full of computer scientists, possible engineers, ect, the medical student is giving math help. That just isn't right :p
2005-12-08, 6:55 PM #11
(It's disk method for solid of revolution)
一个大西瓜

↑ Up to the top!