Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → dvorak
dvorak
2005-12-11, 8:29 PM #1
so i'm seriously considering switching to dvorak... when i go home for xmas break i was planning on just painting my keys black (tired of the white print... i never look at them) but i may stencil on the dvorak layout for a while so i can learn it.

any tips on how to learn dvorak other than just switching and keeping a printed layout diagram next to me? heh
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2005-12-11, 8:41 PM #2
I doubt it'll be much more proficient than QWERTY, considering you already know QWERTY.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-11, 8:46 PM #3
Any particular reason WHY? I mean...dvorak is going to take you years to fully get used to, trust me, after having years of qwerty ingrained in your brain. Plus, it's not all that much better speed-wise, and you'll probably never need that speed boost anyways. Regardless, I'd like to know why it's such an interesting thing to switch between dvorak and qwerty.
D E A T H
2005-12-11, 8:50 PM #4
Don’t get me wrong here, I love Dvorak, but Don't bother.

I've spoken to several people who have tried to learn Dvorak, and the almost all say the same thing. If they could always use Dvorak, they would have been fine. But the fact is that 99% of the computers out there are still qwerty, and switching back and forth between the two of the them only makes things worse.

If you can make sure you will ONLY use computers with Dvorak for a decent period of time (Several Months, depending on how fast your learn), then you can probably master Dvorak enough to be able to return to qwerty and not get completely messed up, but if there is any chance you might have to use qwerty while you are tiring to learn Dvorak it will just mess you up.

Also, you can try reading here. He pretty much says the same thing everyone else has said to me.

Finally, If you need a typing program, but feel that you are too old for “Stickybear teaches typing” (or Mavis Beacon for that matter). Try [URL= http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=4973]this[/URL]. ( WARNING: ILLEGAL DOWNLOAD LINKS, DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK! ) It may not have a Dvorak mode, but it will be so much fun you won’t care!
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-12-11, 8:50 PM #5
why?
because i'm a freaking geek. ;)
and because the labels will freak people out when they try to use my computer, heh.
"*quickly adds in disclaimer that Is may still yet end up being slapped with a white glove, as all women are crazy and there are no rules*" --mavispoo
2005-12-11, 8:55 PM #6
Please don't tell me that I'm the only person who first thought of John C. Dvorak upon seeing this thread.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2005-12-11, 9:04 PM #7
Originally posted by MFalse:
Please don't tell me that I'm the only person who first thought of John C. Dvorak upon seeing this thread.

HE GETS NO SPAM.

(no)
D E A T H
2005-12-11, 9:25 PM #8
Originally posted by MFalse:

You aren't.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-11, 10:01 PM #9
Am I the only one who thought of Antonin Dvorak?
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-12-12, 9:41 AM #10
yeah you are
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-12, 10:41 AM #11
I thought of the computer from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. =(
2005-12-12, 10:49 AM #12
Originally posted by Fardreamer:
Am I the only one who thought of Antonin Dvorak?
Nay

But this is probably 'cause I have no clue what the other dvorak is.
2005-12-12, 6:48 PM #13
moneyobie: you don't know what the dvorak i'm talking about is??
2005-12-12, 6:57 PM #14
Originally posted by ':
-[ellequin']I thought of the computer from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory. =(

Woah...so did I. Man that part was a pain, couldn't figure it out for a while...
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-12-13, 11:56 AM #15
Originally posted by Is_907:
moneyobie: you don't know what the dvorak i'm talking about is??
No??

I'm guessing it's a keyboard configuration that sucks compared to qwerty.

↑ Up to the top!