Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Ok, Red Light Advice... (or just thoughts)
Ok, Red Light Advice... (or just thoughts)
2005-12-13, 10:17 AM #1
So I checked my mail the other day and it turns out I got one of those red light camera tickets (for $100). I spent the night at my buddys house a few weekends ago, and while I was driving home at 7 am Sunday morning, apparently I ran a red light.

The thing in the mail they sent me has a few pictures of me in the intersection when the light turned red which Im clearly inside the intersection.

What Im wondering is, does anyone know what they exactly define by 'running' a red light. The picture shows clearly all four of my wheels are past the line. I was always under the impression that as long as your past the line, your ok. I want to know for sure though before I contest it.

Any thoughts??
2005-12-13, 10:33 AM #2
It was my impression that if your vehicle is half-way through the intersection when the light turns red, you're legal.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-12-13, 10:53 AM #3
CA Law states that if all four tires are in the intersection and the light is yellow then turns red, you are still good. If the light changes just as you were entering the intersection, you are running the red light and you get slapped a $271 fine.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-12-13, 10:57 AM #4
Yes, but a yellow light gives you tons of time to stop. It also gives you time to keep going if you cannot stop safely in time.
Got a permanent feather in my cap;
Got a stretch to my stride;
a stroll to my step;
2005-12-13, 11:09 AM #5
Generally I stop for yellow lights. I saw a horrid car crash once when it was a yellow light. The person decided to try and get through the yellow light instead of slowing down and letting someone turn. Bigsmash.

I dont stop for yellows if Im going like 30... Stopping short isnt a great idea.

But speeding up for yellow isnt smart either :P
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-12-13, 12:25 PM #6
Depends how close I am, and if it's a street I know. Used to deliver pizzas, so I knew the timing on most of lights back home :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-12-13, 12:35 PM #7
well my tires are all past the 'line' but the rear wheels are over the crosswalk. Is there a website I can find out exactly? The guy who mails these probably knows for sure where the car has to be, that way they always get their money
2005-12-13, 12:57 PM #8
I always thought that if any part of your car is over the first white line before the light turns red you are OK. Man i'm glad we dont have those light cameras!
2005-12-13, 1:06 PM #9
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
CA Law states that if all four tires are in the intersection and the light is yellow then turns red, you are still good. If the light changes just as you were entering the intersection, you are running the red light and you get slapped a $271 fine.

Actually it's illegal if it turns red at any point while you're in the intersection.
2005-12-13, 1:12 PM #10
If I have at least 10 seconds before I reach the intersection, I stop at a yellow light. Otherwise, I go right through.
2005-12-13, 2:54 PM #11
It probably depends on what your local laws are.
"Flowers and a landscape were the only attractions here. And so, as there was no good reason for coming, nobody came."
2005-12-13, 4:45 PM #12
I read a story about this once.

I guy got one of those pictures in the mail and sent the police a picture of $100 bill. The next day he got a picture of handcuffs from them.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2005-12-14, 4:16 AM #13
Originally posted by tofu:
Actually it's illegal if it turns red at any point while you're in the intersection.

Now that's just stupid. what if the lights turn yellow when you're in the intersection? and then red? do you have to, like, reverse back from the intersection before they turn red? or if there's someone before you do you have to ram him away?

For example if there are people waiting to turn left, and you're behind them and the light turns red. what can you do? run outside and hide your plate?
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2005-12-14, 9:47 AM #14
Originally posted by CaveDemon:
Now that's just stupid. what if the lights turn yellow when you're in the intersection? and then red? do you have to, like, reverse back from the intersection before they turn red? or if there's someone before you do you have to ram him away?

For example if there are people waiting to turn left, and you're behind them and the light turns red. what can you do? run outside and hide your plate?

I've had a similar experience. I was turning left and some dumb *** just had to make the left turn at three miles per hour. The light went from green to red all in the course of me turning left. This was at a photo enforced intersection too.

There was a big scandal in San Diego about these red-light (s)cameras. IIRC, the cameras were biased towards catching people blowing through although they were still in the rights. The other part was that the $271 fine didn't go all to the city but a good portion also went to the company who produced these cameras. I think that was the case. It's been a while.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-12-14, 9:48 AM #15
We have those camera things here but they've been shut off for quite awhile, or so I've heard. Apparently it cost too much and the city didn't renew the contract or something.
2005-12-14, 4:09 PM #16

You shouldnt be in the intersection if there's a chance you might not be able to complete your turn on the amber light. Wait behind the line if there's cars in front of you, that way you're safe.

The Aussie rule is that as soon as all 4 of your wheels are over the line, you're in the intersection and have run the red light.

As for deciding whether to stop or go on an amber, I use the very simple 'Can I safely stop before the line?' when the lights change on me. If the answer is yes, then I stop.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-12-15, 11:39 PM #17
Originally posted by Spork:
You shouldnt be in the intersection if there's a chance you might not be able to complete your turn on the amber light. Wait behind the line if there's cars in front of you, that way you're safe.

The Aussie rule is that as soon as all 4 of your wheels are over the line, you're in the intersection and have run the red light.

As for deciding whether to stop or go on an amber, I use the very simple 'Can I safely stop before the line?' when the lights change on me. If the answer is yes, then I stop.

There are things you can't predict... the finnish rule is that if you get past the line during green or yellow lights, you're safe. If you can safely stop during the yellow lines you should, but you don't have to. You gotta stop only if the red light is on-- unless you're a cop and gotta hurry because the donut shop closes in 2 minutes... then you just flash the blue lights and go.
Last edited by mb; today at 10:55 AM.
2005-12-16, 8:02 AM #18
unless you're a cop and gotta hurry because the donut shop closes in 2 minutes... then you just flash the blue lights and go.

Nice to know some things are universal.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-12-16, 8:33 AM #19
*Insert obligatory Brian vs The Legal System post here*

↑ Up to the top!