Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → was t'pol a good vulcan?
was t'pol a good vulcan?
2005-12-14, 12:07 PM #1
she doesn't seem to fit into the spock/tuvok type of vulcan personality. even though spock was half human he was still so logical. t'pol seems to be more human than spock.
was it the actress or the character?
2005-12-14, 12:21 PM #2
It was supposed to be pre- TOS stuff in Enterprise, so I'm thinking that it's a mix of both. The character was designed when Brannon and Braga wanted Vulcans to be "mean" toward humans trying to explore the galaxy. Idiotic in many ways.

That basis of her character in season 1, plus the fact that she lost her Vulcan membership or whatever in season 2...and the fact that they used her for all the "we need ratings lets take 75% of her clothes off" episodes, I'd say that alot of it was Brannon and Braga's bad writing.

Apparently, as an actress, she didn't like how alot of the show was handled, and she had alot of attitude on-set.

In terms ofh er as an actress...
Well, she didn't have that "I have knowledge and understanding" look like spock and tuvok. She was more "I'm looking at the situation and thinking, and I"m stuck up and giving advice that a fortune cookie can give" ish. :P

Spock was the best :P.
T'pol was more interesting than Tuvok as a character, but not as true to Vulcanism.
my 2 cents.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-12-14, 12:27 PM #3
I was JUST talking about this with happydud last night. (Nerd +1000)

T'pol sucked as a Vulcan, she was always having more human attitudes towards emotions than vulcan do, which is remarkable in comparison to spock, who is always super vulcanny, even though he's half human.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-14, 12:31 PM #4
Vulcans have the same emotions as humans, they just control them better. Perhaps she just wasn't as good at it.
Pissed Off?
2005-12-14, 12:37 PM #5
Originally posted by Avenger:
Vulcans have the same emotions as humans, they just control them better. Perhaps she just wasn't as good at it.

Hence why she was a bad vulcan
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-14, 1:06 PM #6
There was one episode where even her mother remarked that "your emotions have always been on the surface" or some such drivel.

So yeah, she fails at Vulcanship.

Yay for conjured words!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-12-14, 1:14 PM #7
I liked the term "Not Vulcanny" myself
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-14, 1:15 PM #8
Yeah, I agree with Avenger. She was quite far from the idealistic vulcan citizen. However, if you keep that in mind, she wasn't a bad character. She just had a flaw that kind of broke her as a vulcan during the series. But that might have served the kind of makeshift, early Enterprise setting and the slightly realpolitik atmosphere of the Starfleet better than somebody like Spock.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-12-14, 1:26 PM #9
No Vulcancy
2005-12-14, 1:54 PM #10
I think fishstickz == Darth Evad.

And T'Pol a Vulcaner, Fish?
My Parkour blog
My Twitter. Follow me!
2005-12-14, 2:11 PM #11
haha!!

i think i like the character. she's just not as vulcan. maybe after a few more episodes i'll start to understand her more.

i don't like the captain. the rest of them i like.
2005-12-14, 3:03 PM #12
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]haha!!

i don't like the captain. the rest of them i like.[/QUOTE]

That's why it got cancelled.

Every other captain has been awesome. (Esespecially Patrick Stuart, but especially William Shatner.), but Archer was horrible, he's the reason I never watched the show.
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-14, 3:03 PM #13
She was a very good vulcanologist. And she introduced the audience to two perfectly shaped volcanoes.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2005-12-14, 3:30 PM #14
oh man!!! that's frickin' hilarious. nice one!!
2005-12-14, 3:31 PM #15
Picard: Perhaps we can work something out to our mutual benefit instead of fighting.

Archer: YOU ALL ARE ****ING DEAD FOR FIRING AT MY SHIP! YOU HEAR ME! DEAD! WE ARE A PEACEFUL PEOPLE AND NOT DESERVING OF YOUR VIOLENCE!

Edit: lassev wins by much.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2005-12-14, 4:23 PM #16
She wasn't a Vulcan, she was a dummy filling a catsuit. Braga only had her there for eye-candy, the whole Vulcan nonsense was to make her all strict and whatnot so we'd have stories for "omg she's not human! we must teach her to sex!"

All she really was was Seven of Nine, but since they couldn't bring in the Borg (which, really didn't stop them actually...) they had to find a new explanation for why she had a stick so far up her butt.

It seemed though the more they concentrated on T'Pol as the hot chick and ignored Hoshi Sato, that Hoshi became the hottest chick on Enterprise.

Now if Linda Park had been shown in a catsuit.... :D
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-12-14, 4:40 PM #17
i'm gonna have dreams of t'pol and hoshi now...
2005-12-14, 4:59 PM #18
I don't even think T'pol was that hot, so.... the "she's just there as a sex object" thing never really flew with me.
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-14, 5:17 PM #19
Truly, I think they should've had her explained to be a Romulan and defected to them in the end or gotten killed.
"We came, we saw, we conquered, we...woke up!"
2005-12-14, 6:11 PM #20
Only 75% of her clothes off? You must have missed that one episode when all 100% went bye-bye.
And she wasn't that good looking either.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2005-12-15, 11:57 AM #21
The captian could have been better... I thought when I was seeing scott bakula as captain I would be getting a quantum leap sam becket version of a captain... but it wasn't... and it just didn't flow right.

The character always seemed to forced, and acting without having a written, definitive, reason to be acting the way he acted other than "the other captains acted similarly in other shows."

He wasn't terrible, I always attributed it to "He'll be cool around the last 3-4 seasons, just like picard" but it didn't turn out that way :(.
This signature agrees with the previously posted signatures. To violate previously posted signatures is a violation of the EULA for this signature and you will be subject to unruly behavior.
2005-12-16, 5:02 AM #22
[QUOTE=Darth Evad]was t'pol a good vulcan?[/QUOTE]

[http://www.scifiuniverse.net/special/season3looks/looksgallery15.jpg]

i say yes
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-16, 7:28 PM #23
jolene blalock is hot.

↑ Up to the top!