Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → new V trailer
new V trailer
2005-12-15, 4:13 PM #1
I know we had a thread about V for Vendetta about 3 weeks ago but the new trailer is up.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/v_for_vendetta/hd/

I do have a few questions though,

what exactly are V's powers? there is a scene in the trailer that appears to show him dodging bullets...

I've never read the comic although I have read a few useful pages here,

http://www.shadowgalaxy.net/Vendetta/vmain.html

so yeah, anyone want to give a brief overview of V it'd be helpful,

enjoy the trailer.
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2005-12-15, 5:39 PM #2
That movie looks really cool. I wonder if the whole black trench coat and bullet dodge will become a trademark for every Wachowski brothers movie. Oh and it's an interesting coincidence that they used Batman Begins and Equlibrium music for the first trailer considering the movie seems to be like a combination of Batman and Equilibrium.
2005-12-15, 6:22 PM #3
I'm reading the comic in bits and pieces at the moment. It's not entirely clear how he seems to be so fast and deadly. His abilities seem almost ninja like, and in the comic he rarely ever seems to use his daggers which feature so prominently in the trailer. Part of his amazing abilities may well hinge more on supremely well prepared and executed plans. He has a taste for the theatrical, quoting shakespeare and the like fairly often. On top of that, much like Guy Fawkes, he just loves using explosives. Not sure how the bullet thing happens, haven't got that far into the comic yet. It's difficult to explain much without giving away spoilers, and that'd just ruin the experience of the story for you. If it's anything like the comic it ought to be great!

Brief overview:
V for Vendetta is based in an alternative future/present (it was originally written in the 80s). It's set in England after some sort of global nuclear war, which by the sounds of it was so harsh that mainland Europe is described as having disappeared. Somehow England "prevailed" and in the ensuing chaos fascist vigilante groups surfaced and came to keep order. Their power grew and as England rebuilt it's society, the fascists took over the government. V is an enigmatic character who comes to the rescue of Evey Hammond (Natalie Portman) from police thugs and takes her to his hideout where she decides to remain in safety. He tries to explain his motives to her, seemingly to convince her to help him in some act. One by one he murders various govt. officials and then starts to commit terrorist acts that ruin the governments ability to monitor, police and brainwash the masses. It's basically a tale about justice and freedom.
2005-12-16, 6:04 PM #4
that helped clear a few things up in my mind, cheers :)

Rbots
2005-12-17, 10:44 AM #5
Do you think that there's a risk that this movie might spark some sort of controversy because it might be seen as some sort of advocation of terrorism? Granted it sounds slightly ridiculous, but do recall that there was a small controversy where some people thought that Revenge of the Sith contained the symbolism of the Bush administration being the evil Empire.
2005-12-17, 10:56 AM #6
I thought that's why they pushed it back to April, if it were released in its original time of Nov. 5th people thought it would be associated too much with the London bombings. They claimed the reason for the pushback was due to editing.
twitter | flickr | last.fm | facebook |
2005-12-17, 11:16 AM #7
I reckon it's no different in ideals than say a movie about the French resistance in WW2. It's about a very nasty fascist government and a terrorist/freedom fighter doing what he can to end it. I'm not sure what they'll do about the similarities with the July London bombings, the character is based around Guy Fawkes so of course he's going to be blowing up bits of London. Although to be fair, the IRA were bombing us before and we've had movies featuring destruction and explosions in London anyway. I don't think many Brits would protest about it.
Now I've read the comic; upon seeing the trailers and hearing that the author of the comics has washed his hands of the entire movie, I suspect it will divert from the comic's storyline to a fairly large extent. That's worrying really...
2005-12-17, 11:18 AM #8
I think Alan Moore has washed his hands of every movie adaptation of his works. LXG was warranted, but From Hell was fine.
2005-12-17, 12:05 PM #9
I've got no problems about blowing up london landmarks ;)

Rbots
2005-12-17, 12:10 PM #10
Some agent of MI6 you are.

↑ Up to the top!