Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Weird Laws
Weird Laws
2005-12-18, 4:01 PM #1
http://www.dumblaws.com/

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this:

Alabama

* It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.
* Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
* It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

California

* Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.
* Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.
* Bathhouses are against the law. [Get the full text of this law.]
* It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.
* Women may not drive in a house coat.

Florida

* Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.
* A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.
* If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.
* It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.
* Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.
* Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.
* It is illegal to skateboard without a license.
* When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

Kansas

* Prohibits shooting rabbits from a motorboat.

Louisiana

* It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

Indiana

* It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks.
* Liquor stores may not sell milk.

Michigan

* You may not swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan.

Nebraska

* It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

New York

* A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.
* It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.
* A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.
* The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

North Dakota

* Beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.
* It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Ohio

* It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.
* It is illegal to get a fish drunk.

Pennsylvania

* A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

Texas

* It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
* It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.
* It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.
* It is illegal to milk another person's cow.
* A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.
* The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Wisconsin

* You must manually flush all urinals in a building.
* Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.

The one I found funniest was:
Quote:
Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

Fable
2005-12-18, 4:05 PM #2
It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps. (WV)

I actually know this one exists, but a lot of these "weird laws" sound pretty questionable.
"Art is a lie that makes us to realize the truth."
- Pablo Picasso

blog thingamajig
2005-12-18, 4:07 PM #3
i remember a website with a load of british laws like this. A lot of them were from the middle ages and were like "It's illegal to bring a cow to market on thursday" and other random stuff. I can't seem to find it though :(
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2005-12-18, 4:10 PM #4
it's illegal to drag your dead horse around on sunday in bellseville, onatrio.

:|
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2005-12-18, 4:15 PM #5
Most of the Brit ones make a fair amount of sense.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-12-18, 4:33 PM #6
I'm breaking this one (Utah) "It is illegal not to drink milk."

I know for a fact these are true.
"Throwing snowballs will result in a $50 fine." (Provo, Utah)

"No one may walk down the street carrying a paper bag containing a violin."(Salt Lake, Utah) <<No idea why though.

Oh, and when I lived in Oregon, I loved this law.

"Drivers may not pump their own gas."

It was great, you didn't even have to get out of your car.
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol
2005-12-18, 4:43 PM #7
I know in Maryland it's illegal to take a lion to the movies, and somewhere has smilling in public as being illegal and sleeping outside on a refridgerator box. I seriously want to know what inspired people to make some of these laws.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-12-18, 5:21 PM #8
It's still "legal" to hang someone for shooting your dog on your property.

Yay for Nevada law.
2005-12-18, 5:56 PM #9
Jersey.

- All motorists must honk before passing another car, bicyclist, skater, and even a skateboarder.

- It is against the law for a man to knit during the fishing season.

- It is against the law to "frown" at a police officer.

- If you have been convicted of driving while intoxicated, you may never again apply for personalized license plates.

- You may not slurp your soup.

- It is illegal to sell ice cream after 6pm, unless the customer has a note from his doctor. (Newark)

- Pickles are not to be consumed on Sundays. (Trenton)

We're also not allowed to pump our own gas, but I don't find that stupid. Take that, most other states!
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-12-18, 5:56 PM #10
Very OLD news for me. Read those back about 4 years ago. Florida has the best ones.
No sig.
2005-12-18, 6:42 PM #11
I remember that it's illegal in Ottawa for bees to buzz.
Stuff
2005-12-18, 6:47 PM #12
It used to be illegal in Arizona to have more than one dildo in a house.
2005-12-18, 7:03 PM #13
You can't park an elephant on main street in Virginia, Minnesota
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-12-18, 7:06 PM #14
A more recent "dumb" law in Kansas (not listed on the site) stated that those selling illegal drugs must purchase drug tax stamps in order to do so. Aparently, getting caught trying to sell any illegal substance without the proper number of stamps results in a hefty fine on top of the normal charges. Really, it's actually quite brilliant. Not only does it further deter people from selling illegal narcotics, but it allows the state to profit from those who do. It was passed sometime last year, but I haven't heard any more on it since.
2005-12-18, 7:28 PM #15
I think down here (florida) the penalty for stealing a horse is still hanging.
It took a while for you to find me; I was hiding in the lime tree.
2005-12-18, 7:38 PM #16
Wait, so all your gas stations are full service?
Damn, nice.
2005-12-18, 8:34 PM #17
Some of these are stupid.

For example, the one that says 'cannot kill a whale in Utah' is simply someone exagerrating the prohibition against killing endangered, protected, or animals which require a license to kill or hunt.
2005-12-18, 9:08 PM #18
[QUOTE=Squirrel King]Wait, so all your gas stations are full service?
Damn, nice.[/QUOTE]

I hate it. I'd have to wait for the attendant and it's all-around faster when I do it.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-12-18, 11:55 PM #19
in SC we dont have to have spedometers, but it still doesent excuse speeding
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-12-19, 12:05 AM #20
Missouri:

It is not illegal to speed.

:eek: :confused: I could've gotten out of a speeding ticket earlier this year? What?!

I also beleive, though it's not on that site, that in New Mexico it is legal to have a duel so long as both swordsmen are registered blood donors. And in Arizona it is legal to have intercourse in a vehicle so long as there are curtains on the windows.

I also believe I read about a town in France that ran out of room in its cemetary, so the mayor made it illegal to die.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2005-12-19, 12:26 AM #21
These are so stupid, most are all just perversions of normal laws, and most others are probably BS anyway and I would need to see written proof.

"When I went to high school they had a rule against attempting to write your mothers name on any classroom ceiling."

They called it no graffitti.

"It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle"

No ****, it the law about "Safely operating a motor vehicle"

"It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday"

Along with any other day of the week....in any other part of the country....

etc etc etc........
2005-12-19, 12:58 AM #22
^ well, you have a point. but, quit ruining the fun :p
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-12-19, 4:30 AM #23
Originally posted by Lord_Grismath:
I hate it. I'd have to wait for the attendant and it's all-around faster when I do it.

Sounds like you've got some crappy gas stations. An attendant usually comes to us right away. I love being able to stay in my warm car while being waited on.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-12-19, 7:15 AM #24
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:
These are so stupid, most are all just perversions of normal laws, and most others are probably BS anyway and I would need to see written proof.

"When I went to high school they had a rule against attempting to write your mothers name on any classroom ceiling."

etc etc etc........

Quite a bit of those "... on Sunday" laws are specifically Sunday, back from when everyone was a lot more religious, and you can't do much of anything on the Sabbath, so they passed laws to enforce it. Some are laws left over from a long time ago (1700's over here, a couple from the Dark Ages in the UK) that nobody cares enough to have repealed. They're all real, but yes there are a few that put something specific for a general law (like "Illegal to sell ice cream in a cemetary" when it's really "No peddling, advertising, posting signs, etc")
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-12-19, 7:17 AM #25
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm
thats pretty dumb
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-12-19, 7:41 AM #26
Quote:
* Beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.

This could never be enforced in Germany.

And because FGR hasn't found this thread so far:
Stupid burgerboys.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-12-19, 2:54 PM #27
Originally posted by Dash_rendar:

etc etc etc........

...sure, but why ruin our fun?
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-12-19, 2:55 PM #28
It's illegal to have sex with a live fish in New York.
nope.
2005-12-19, 3:07 PM #29
Its illegal to kill a hobo at 12:10 AM on tuesdays and thursdays, and on holidays, excepting for cases where the hobo is actually a fly.

o.0
2005-12-19, 3:38 PM #30
Originally posted by TheJkWhoSaysNi:
i remember a website with a load of british laws like this. A lot of them were from the middle ages and were like "It's illegal to bring a cow to market on thursday" and other random stuff. I can't seem to find it though :(

i believe theres a law that makes it mandatory for all boys under the age of 14 to recieve archery training from a priest on sunday.
2005-12-20, 8:24 AM #31
It's also still legal to shoot a scotsman in the back with an arrow on a tuesday in York.
nope.
2005-12-20, 8:33 AM #32
Wow, I would be suprised if some of those dumb laws could still be found in the legal systems of the respective states today.
2005-12-20, 8:39 AM #33
in my town it's illegal to drive down main street with your lights on...(though a large chunk of main street is illegal to drive on at all)

in south bend indiana It is illegal to make a monkey smoke a cigarette. (however they say nothing about teaching a monkey to smoke... also says nothing about cigars, pipes, other things you can smoke that do not qualify as a cigarette)

and it would seem i've broken the following indiana dumb laws

No one may catch a fish with his bare hands.

Anyone 14 or older who profanely curses, damns or swears by the name of God, Jesus Christ or the Holy Ghost, shall be fined one to three dollars for each offense, with a maximum fine of ten dollars per day.

Baths may not be taken between the months of October and March.

Oral sex is illegal.

It is against the law to pass a horse on the street.

Men are prohibited from standing in a bar.

"Spiteful Gossip" and "talking behind a person's back" are illegal.

All males 18 to 50 years old must work six days a year on public roads.
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-12-20, 8:47 AM #34
Here are some dumb ones for West Virginia:

It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.

If you wear a hat inside a theater, you may be fined.

Roadkill may be taken home for supper.

Whistling underwater is prohibited.
2005-12-20, 9:04 AM #35
Hold the phone, why the hell are TV liscenses in that?

And my mistake - "Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow."

Only applies to Scotland - "If someone knocks on your door and requires the use of your commode, you must let them enter."
nope.
2005-12-22, 8:12 AM #36
Originally posted by Fable:

Florida

* When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

:eek:

I gotta move out of Florida!
||||||||||||||||||||
2005-12-22, 9:18 AM #37
Of course, some of those laws once made sense, but by now they're horribly antiquated. o.o;;
Seishun da!

↑ Up to the top!