Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Can everybody "sense" CRT TVs when they are on? Can somebody explain this?
Can everybody "sense" CRT TVs when they are on? Can somebody explain this?
2005-12-19, 12:09 AM #1
Everybody i've tried to explain it to thinks i'm crazy. I can sense when TVs are on in the vicinity, even when they are in a closed room at the other side of the house. Its like this very high pitched "noise", not so much a noise as it is just something I can...sense I guess. Its almost impossible to judge which direction its coming from. I dont even really "hear" it, I just kinda sense it within my head. Very hard to explain, hopefully somebody knows what I am talking about.

I've proven it to myself MANY times, 99% of the time if I sense it and look around the house there will be a TV on. Sometimes I will wake up in the middle of the night with my door shut and sense it, I will walk downstairs to find that somebody left the TV on "Video" so it is all black so they thought it was off but wasnt. One night I woke up and heard it, and ran around the house going CRAZY because there were not TV's on and I was trying to zero in where it was coming from...it ended up being from a Cell phone that was charging in the kitchen on the other side of the house and DOWN a floor, so I know it is some kind of electronic emission. Sometimes it almost hurts, but for the most part is just an annoyance.

So is there anybody that can explain this to me, why it happens or what exactly within the TV is making the "sound"?
2005-12-19, 12:12 AM #2
I dont generally notice it, but if the power goes out I sometimes wake up from the lack of ambient "noise". Kinda a strange phenomena, but fun none the less.

o.0
2005-12-19, 12:17 AM #3
Yes, that happens to me too. We recently got a new TV, and the sound it makes (which apparently my parents can't here) bugs the hell of me.
2005-12-19, 12:22 AM #4
Yep, I can hear that, too.
"And lo, let us open up into the holy book of Proxy2..." -genk
His pot is blacker than his kettle!
2005-12-19, 12:24 AM #5
Happens to me. I can even detect it from my PDA. My alarm clock bugs me so much that I have a hard time sleeping with it plugged in.

And my computer makes a buzzing noise if I drag windows. It's not coming from the speakers, it's actually coming from the computer. :confused:
2005-12-19, 12:27 AM #6
It's just a very high frequency sound coming from the flyback transformer. Most CRTs don't use very good ones, hence the noise. Sometimes they go "bad" over time and the noise they produce is incredibly irritating, at which point most people notice.

You probably can't tell the direction because it's rather faint and of a rather high frequency. The frequency is probably just right so that it bounces off walls without being attenuated significantly.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-12-19, 12:29 AM #7
Why can some hear it and some not? My hearing is no better than anybody I have asked who cannot hear it.
2005-12-19, 12:39 AM #8
It depends on your level of exposure to high-frequency noise over the course of your lifetime. As you get older you lose your ability to hear it.

Some companies are actually investigating the use of ultra high-frequency sound to prevent teenagers from congregating in front of stores.
2005-12-19, 12:43 AM #9
Originally posted by Jon`C:
It depends on your level of exposure to high-frequency noise over the course of your lifetime. As you get older you lose your ability to hear it.

Some people also may not know what it is they are listening for. If you put them in a quiet room and turned the CRT on and off, it's more likely they'll be able to catch it.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-12-19, 12:52 AM #10
Yeah. It's probably such a common noise for people that they don't even notice it.
Pissed Off?
2005-12-19, 12:55 AM #11
(omg i got quoted in a sig YES!, one goal down, whoohoo!)

i hear it too, and, yes it annoys the bug out of me. i cant hardly stand to be in a room with a muted tv on, but i tend to block it out when other noise is comming from it.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-12-19, 1:05 AM #12
I've been able to do this since I was a kid. I can almost still feel the "buzz" of the CRT on my Apple IIe if I think about it hard enough.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-12-19, 3:03 AM #13
I can hear it, quite easily
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-12-19, 4:13 AM #14
I can hear it, my grandparents can't (no suprise there).
2005-12-19, 4:20 AM #15
Yup. I can hear it.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2005-12-19, 4:51 AM #16
I, too, can hear it.

What bugs me worse is a low refresh rate
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-12-19, 5:03 AM #17
I hear it too, but its a more general sense of EM fields. Seriously. If its an electronic device, I can hear it.

I tried to explain it to my parents once, they thought I was going nuts.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-12-19, 5:21 AM #18
That's nothing, I can hear pudding.
The Massassi-Map
There is no spoon.
2005-12-19, 5:43 AM #19
Yes, I feel and hear it. Sometimes funky.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-12-19, 5:45 AM #20
I feel it baby.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2005-12-19, 6:46 AM #21
Yeah, it used to bug the hell out of me. I eventually learned to tune it out, but I can still hear it if I listen for it.
2005-12-19, 6:50 AM #22
Yeah I too can "sense" when they are on, it's a very weird thing because in my experiance, most people can't tell. I tried it with my folks, they couldn't tell if a TV was on/off.

And...I dunno about the rest of you but for me it's a tingle of sorts...

Another strange thing is that when you are watching TV with the lights out and you turn it off, it goes black but when you look at it with peripheral vision, it's still bright.
2005-12-19, 7:09 AM #23
Yeah, the residual light is still being emitted for a little while. I can hear it as well, wake up and know that my brother's already on the TV down the hall and hearing it when it's on Video. Various electronics as well.

Of course, I was shooting a lot of guns yesterday, so right now I think it's more of regular ringing in th ears :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2005-12-19, 7:10 AM #24
I don't have that problem, because my hearing sucks.

When it's quiet, all I can hear is my own ears ring.
2005-12-19, 7:17 AM #25
"I felt it!"

"Go Janet!"
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2005-12-19, 7:30 AM #26
"I sense a disturbance in the EM waves..."

"Yes, I sense it too"

"Ah, I think I can tell where it's coming from... oh wait... we're almost there..."

"JIMMY TURN OFF THE TV WHEN YOU'RE DONE HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU"
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2005-12-19, 11:39 AM #27
I'm the only person in my house who can hear it, except I can tell which TV it is. Don't ask me how, but when I wake up at 10 AM and my dad's watching the news and my brother's in there with him, I can tell it's that TV or if my brother is playing PS2 I can tell it's that TV versus the other one.

And yeah, it bugs me. I hear it with a lot of things..
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-12-19, 11:51 AM #28
Just about everyone I know can "feel" the TV.
nope.
2005-12-19, 12:01 PM #29
Originally posted by Spork:
That's nothing, I can hear pudding.

I laughed at that.

About the TV noise...I used to be able to hear it really well. Not so much recently...too much rock and roll I guess.
2005-12-19, 1:09 PM #30
Yeah, I can hear it. Only CRTs though; not other electronic devices.
Stuff
2005-12-19, 4:10 PM #31
I can. Almost every TV at school is always on, and it used to annoy the hell out of me. Recently I've figured out how to tune it out, but usually I can hear it even if the sound is turned up on the set.

I'm happy to see that there are other people that can sense it too.
2005-12-19, 4:16 PM #32
I hear it. It's really annoying when you're the only one in the room who does, because people generally ignore my requests for the offending device to be properly modified (often means turning it off) so that it's not so damn annoying.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-12-19, 4:36 PM #33
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
"I felt it!"

"Go Janet!"
Hahaha
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-12-19, 4:47 PM #34
Quote:
Everybody i've tried to explain it to thinks i'm crazy.

Same here. Glad I'm not alone anymore. :D
||Arena of Fire || Grand Temple of Fire ||

The man who believes he can and the man who believes he can't are both right. Which are you?

↑ Up to the top!