Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → NYC transit strike
NYC transit strike
2005-12-20, 9:48 AM #1
So, after several days of failed negotiations and threats, the transit workers' union decides to shut down all subway and bus lines in the city. The result? 5 hours in a car to get to work this morning - covering a total distance of 8 miles from 190th to 29th in Manhattan. We averaged about 10 minutes a block for most of the way. No way I'm sitting in traffic tonight as well though, I'm going to walk back. Even though it's like 20 degress out. Wish I had a bike.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-12-20, 9:58 AM #2
Yea... that sucks alot. I really wanted to visit some people in the city during my break before they left. No way im dealing with that though.

[spelt before wrong. whoops]
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-12-20, 10:02 AM #3
Yeah, doesn't look like it's going to be over any time soon. At least a week it seems.
2005-12-20, 10:21 AM #4
Thank god trains in and out of the city are still running. I want to go in tomorrow.

<3 my city!
former entrepreneur
2005-12-20, 10:29 AM #5
Originally posted by Eversor:
Thank god trains in and out of the city are still running. I want to go in tomorrow.
Hmm, sure, if you don't mind waiting in line two hours for a train ticket.
2005-12-20, 11:14 AM #6
I hate unions
Pissed Off?
2005-12-20, 11:30 AM #7
Originally posted by Avenger:
I hate unions

America, home of the free gift with purchase.
2005-12-20, 11:36 AM #8
Then go to China.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-12-20, 11:48 AM #9
That's a great idea! :rolleyes:
Pissed Off?
2005-12-20, 11:57 AM #10
I hate unions
I have no problem with unions, or with strikes for that matter, but they're overdoing it. They're not willing to make ANY compromises it seems, basically turning down every offer the MTA is making. It's like they were hell bent on striking first, talking later.
2005-12-20, 12:07 PM #11
come to the south, where "union" is a bad word. (yes, i'm serious)
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-12-20, 12:44 PM #12
Ah, small town (compared to some), how I love thee. No mass transit to work, just a little hard to pull out of the McDonalds on Main Street between 3 and 4 PM because everyone is leaving Hershey Chocolate.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-12-20, 12:56 PM #13
Originally posted by Fardreamer:
I have no problem with unions, or with strikes for that matter, but they're overdoing it. They're not willing to make ANY compromises it seems, basically turning down every offer the MTA is making. It's like they were hell bent on striking first, talking later.

Yeah, that's the problem. The union has trnaformed from an entity desinged to protect works to something that demands that the workers are paid more and more.
Pissed Off?
2005-12-20, 1:39 PM #14
Union = owned
Pissed Off?
2005-12-20, 1:57 PM #15
Hmm. I doubt that'll change anything now that they've started striking, but it's still a pretty powerful deterrent.
2005-12-20, 2:56 PM #16
I hope they realize they are hurting alot of NYC businesses and people's lives. There are alot of people who can't afford to miss a day of work in the city. And kids need to get to schools. This isn't a strike at a local store or factory, the MTA is the "bloodlines" that make the city function.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-12-20, 3:05 PM #17
Of course they realize that, that's why they're striking - it's a form of blackmail. Unfortunately for them it's illegal.
2005-12-20, 4:38 PM #18
I hate unions

Me too. I'm all for enacting something like Order 66 to deal with them.

↑ Up to the top!