Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Indiana Jones is Awesome
Indiana Jones is Awesome
2005-12-23, 7:31 PM #1
So I just got done watching the 3rd one ( Last Crusade) with my family, and I have to say Indy is awesome, and the trilogy as a whole, with the possible exception of Temple of Doom, is solid gold.

I just love the movies, both the first and third are kinda tied in my books. I can watch them over and over again, and never get tired. Even though I have many of the lines memorized, I still pick up something different each time I rewatch them.

Like in the third one, check out the hat symbolism. :D In the beginning, [River] Phoenix gets the fedora from the old guy, and it fades into an adult Indy. THen there's the guy in the white suit, and you see his hat floating on the water. And towards the end where the tank rolls off the cliff, you see Indy's hat return to him in the wind out of nowhere. Seriously, you could write a whole freaking Thesis paper on it.

Finally, discuss some of your favorite one liners and scenes from the movies. I have so many, but one in particular is the part where Indy and his Dad are on the beach, and the German fighter plane is pursuing them. Indy's out of ideas, so his Dad runs up to the seagulls with his umbrella and drives them at the airplane, which gets overun with birds and crashes. Then Sean says, "I remembered my Charlemagne: Let my armies be the rocks and the trees and the birds in the sky."

So many Great Lines!
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-12-23, 7:43 PM #2
I think Temple of Doom is underrated. I will admit it doesn't match the adventurous feel that permeates the other two (and probably gives them their strength), and there are some scary bits that kept me from watching it as a child, but there are some classic Indy moments. The entire bridge standoff has to be one of my favourite bits of all three films.
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2005-12-23, 8:05 PM #3
I must agree.
I think the only thing that brings temple of doom down is that little kid.
he's a horrible actor.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2005-12-23, 8:16 PM #4
All three movies are fine, and don't mess with that kid, he did a fine job from my point of view.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-12-23, 8:21 PM #5
Shut it, infidels, Shortround owns you.
Needless to say, watching the Temple of Doom at the age of 8 scared the crap outta me, that whole sacrifice part and the blood drinking just creeped me out.
2005-12-23, 8:22 PM #6
Temple of Doom sucked for 2 major reasons.

A) That stupid asian kid

B) Seriously lack of Nazis.

Now, if they had replaced all the wierd guys with nazis, and then replaced the asian kid with a nazi. And then killed him. It would have been great.
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-23, 8:26 PM #7
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Shut it, infidels, Shortround owns you.
Needless to say, watching the Temple of Doom at the age of 8 scared the crap outta me, that whole sacrifice part and the blood drinking just creeped me out.

Amen, Mono, amen.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-12-23, 8:30 PM #8
What the hell are you guys talking about? It wasn't the asian kid that sucked, it was Spileberg's *****y wife.

Jesus I hate that scream.
2005-12-23, 9:53 PM #9
Hahaha Doctor Jones, I have all your money! Hahaha!
"We have first raised a dust and then complain we cannot see." - George Berkeley
2005-12-24, 2:26 AM #10
Hey, Dr. Jones, no time for love! We've got company!

Temple of Doom has some great moments. Aping a James Bond entrance in the white suit (Spielberg had wanted to do a Bond film but did Indy instead), running behind the rolling gong being tommy-gunned to jump out of the window and fall down to the street, "nocturnal activities" and the Thuggee henchman completely unexpectedly stepping out of the mural, the rock-crusher fight, the mine-cart chase, and the bridge standoff.

My absolutely favourite action scenes in the trilogy are from Raiders though. Marion's Nepalese bar, or the fistfight on and around the Flying Wing, and the Ark truck convoy.
If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
2005-12-24, 2:27 AM #11
Temple of Doom was the weakest, but still very enjoyable movie like the rest.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2005-12-24, 2:43 AM #12
What FGR said. I watched it recently with two friends because one had only seen the first and the third movie, because we told him the second one sucked and we had really much fun. I think you only recognise it as beeing bad, when you watch the movies in a row.
Just think of the meal with the monkey-brain and so on. Pure classical Indiana Jones moment.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-12-24, 2:46 AM #13
Indian Jones is hot.
2005-12-24, 6:42 AM #14
The only wholly negative aspect to the trilogy IMO is Shortround. Child actors rarely do well, and he was not one of those who did. But the action, romance, and kick *** acting makes that trilogy absolute gold. I never get tired of watching them.
www.dailyvault.com. - As Featured in Guitar Hero II!
2005-12-24, 7:06 AM #15
River Phoenix, damnit! Joaquin is his younger brother.
Xbox Live/PlayStation Network/Steam: tone217
http://twitter.com/ourmatetone
2005-12-24, 7:10 AM #16
Originally posted by Nubs:
The only wholly negative aspect to the trilogy IMO is Shortround. Child actors rarely do well, and he was not one of those who did.

And the severe lack of nazis in the second movie
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-24, 8:00 AM #17
I don't remember much of the second film.

But I agree, little kids ruin movies. How many movies have annoying little kids?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-12-24, 8:05 AM #18
anyone see the movie Frailty? with Bill paxton?
That has a couple of kids as the main folks and they did a fantastic job, they made the movie.
and it's a great movie if you haven't seen it.

So not all child actors suck, but most certainly do.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2005-12-24, 8:06 AM #19
Originally posted by AKPiggott:
River Phoenix, damnit! Joaquin is his younger brother.

Dang, how did I do that. :o

Anyway, you guys have somewhat derailed the thread. This thread isn't about Temple of Doom exclusively, nor is it about which movie is better. Give me some quotes and favorite scenes, dammit. :mad:
2005-12-24, 8:09 AM #20
I always loved the scene when indy was trying to break the floor in the library at the same time as the librarian was stamping books.
Quote:
X marks the spot.
2005-12-24, 8:10 AM #21
I have been wondering, in the last movie, was the "leap of faith," or whatever the obstacle before the Holy Grail was called, a bridge that was painted exactly like its surrounding or was it "magical"?
2005-12-24, 8:14 AM #22
It's ambiguous, but I think it was a clever optical illusion.
The Last True Evil - consistent nobody in the Discussion Forum since 1998
2005-12-24, 8:14 AM #23
Originally posted by djwguitarman:
I always loved the scene when indy was trying to break the floor in the library at the same time as the librarian was stamping books.

me too

i think the Leap of Faith was made by medieval magics >.>
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-12-24, 9:03 AM #24
I think it was an optical illusion, but as the camera showed it wouldn't work when someone is moving.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-12-24, 9:17 AM #25
Yeah, the Indiana Jones trilogy is one of my all time favorites, and it never gets old...There will never be another movie like "Raiders of the Lost Ark"...ever...
The top ten times in history when using the "F" word
was appropriate.....
10) "What the *&%# was that?" -Mayor of Hiroshima - August 1945
9) "Where did all these *&%#ing Indians come from?" - Custer 1877
8) "Any *&%#ing idiot could understand that." - Einstein 1938
7) "It does SO *&%#ing look like her!" - Picasso 1926
6) "How the *&%# did you work that out?" - Pythagoras 126 BC
5) "You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo 1566
4) "I don't suppose it's gonna *&%#ing rain." - Joan of Arc 1434
3) "Scattered *&%#ing showers...my a$$!" - Noah 2114 BC
2) "I need this parade like I need a *&%#ing hole in my head!" -
JFK 1963
1) "Aw c'mon, who the *&%# is going to find out?" - Bill Clinton 1997
2005-12-24, 9:46 AM #26
I thought this thread was going to be about the new one.

Silly me
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2005-12-24, 2:04 PM #27
I had no trouble with Short Round, especially seeing that the kid at the time spoke a little bit to no english and had to learn his lines phonetically.

I say the biggest problem with Temple of Doom is a lack of John-Rhys Davies. *nod* Sallah/John-Rhys makes everything better.
Seishun da!
2005-12-24, 3:36 PM #28
[QUOTE=The Last True Evil]It's ambiguous, but I think it was a clever optical illusion.[/QUOTE]

I guess. But then Indy, if I can recall, poured some sand on it. :confused:
2005-12-24, 9:00 PM #29
Originally posted by Echoman:
I guess. But then Indy, if I can recall, poured some sand on it. :confused:

Yeah, that's right - I don't quite know how the illusion worked after I saw that.

Originally posted by Ewoklover:
I thought this thread was going to be about the new one.

Silly me

Yeah, I don't know exactly how that's going. Personally, I think it's crazy that they're doing a 4th one. The 3rd ended on such a good note. And a trilogy is so much nicer than 4 movies. I think Harrison Ford is quite simply too old to do any more now. The guy's about 63. They should have Indy's son do the next one, and Sean can come back as the grandfather! :p
2005-12-24, 9:10 PM #30
There is a scene in The Lost Ark where Indy encounters a sword-wielding madman in a crowded street. The man spends a good 30 seconds flailing his sword around, then waits for Indy to make his move. Indy pulls out his pistol and shoots him down.

Best. Scene. Ever.
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2005-12-24, 10:21 PM #31
Originally posted by gbk:
There is a scene in The Lost Ark where Indy encounters a sword-wielding madman in a crowded street. The man spends a good 30 seconds flailing his sword around, then waits for Indy to make his move. Indy pulls out his pistol and shoots him down.

Best. Scene. Ever.

not only the best scene ever but it was written by harrison ford's ***

he was sick and didn't have time to do a long fight scene between trips to the crapper...
eat right, exercise, die anyway

↑ Up to the top!