Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → My new LCD monitor for Christmas
My new LCD monitor for Christmas
2005-12-25, 3:35 PM #1
Hey guys, I have some questions about my new monitor that I received for Christmas today, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I just switched today from using my 8 year old 17 inch Sony CRT monitor to a new Sceptre 19 inch LCD monitor. The monitor is really great, but I have a few questions/concerns.

The monitor seems to display some things a bit funky, I.E. icons on my desktop. For instance, they seem pixelated and discolored a bit. (For instance, my battlefield 1942 icon is a very dull green instead of the dark green tank color it should be) Also, the Jedi Academy icon is very pixelated in the firey blue behind the saber.

Also, the screen seems pretty bright sometimes when viewing sights such as Google, and other pages that are white.

Now I realized these are all very small nitpicky things, and that they could be changed easily with the brightness/contrast/gamma settings, and I wanted to know if anyone knew a good website/program that helps you configure your monitor's brightness based on shades of color/grey or whatever.

This LCD monitor that I have is also using DVI instead of the old analog that my CRT used. So anyways, if anyone could just help me out a little, then that'd be great. I'm wondering if some of it may just be that I'm making an adjustment by looking at an LCD screen instead of viewing a CRT for 8 years.

-Thanks in advance :)
Author of the JK levels:
Sand Trap & Sand Trap (Night)

2005-12-25, 4:01 PM #2
Probably a silly question, but have you checked the colour mode? Your computer might have detected a new screen and decided to feed it 8-bit colour for some reason.
Stuff
2005-12-25, 4:17 PM #3
What kyle said.

Also, check the manufactuer. Sometimes they have some Color Profiles for specific monitors.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2005-12-25, 4:23 PM #4
Yes, the color mode is still in 32 bit, and I'm not exactly following what you're asking buck
Author of the JK levels:

2005-12-25, 7:20 PM #5
Sorry to reply to my own post but...anyone else?
Author of the JK levels:

2005-12-25, 7:30 PM #6
I have a new 17" LCD monitor too. Everything is huge now.
2005-12-26, 1:17 AM #7
are you running it at 1280x1024?
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-26, 9:32 AM #8
yeah
Author of the JK levels:

2005-12-26, 9:41 AM #9
crt4life

Have you tried pressing your finger to the screen in all the places it doesn't have the colors you want? You could break it into displaying correctly..
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-26, 10:10 AM #10
are you joking or are you serious?
Author of the JK levels:

2005-12-26, 10:12 AM #11
hahaha that is a JOKE. kirby's advice makes others cry.

anyway, it might just be the LCD... ~$280 isn't much for a 19", and i've never heard of that brand. it could also be that your crt was old and didn't display stuff right, and now you are seeing what it should look like.
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-26, 10:17 AM #12
I'm totally being serious. Tap it with a hammer. Hard.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-26, 10:20 AM #13
Hammers aren't nearly as effective as large caliber handguns.

Seriously though, if your running in the same resolution and color settings that you were before, try checking the manufacturers web site or your instruction manual to see if it says anything about color settings. Other then that, I can't give you any advice. And since you switched from a really old monitor to a new one, your old monitor might just not have been displaying things right. That happens sometimes.
Life is beautiful.
2005-12-26, 10:24 AM #14
Well after tinkering around with some gamma/brightness/contrast settings things are a lot better looking now.

However, it would be nice knowing if things are being displayed properly, that's why I wanted to know if anyone knew of a site that was basically a test that configures your monitor's brightness/contrast settings correctly.

(for instance, I don't know how dark the dark green vs. black should be on these forums, because on my old monitor the dark green was barely visible, and on this one it's clearly visible)
Author of the JK levels:

2005-12-26, 6:18 PM #15
i can see the dark green clearly
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-26, 6:24 PM #16
If your desktop icons are "pixellated" it probably means you aren't running at the monitor's native resolution. You should run at 1280x1024 - and nothing else, ever.

Edit: I know you said you are, but check again anyways
2005-12-26, 7:41 PM #17
Check the color temperature on the monitor itself. It should be at 9300K and nothing else for desktop use. It'll be in the options on the OSD somewhere.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2005-12-26, 9:45 PM #18
Originally posted by Emon:
Check the color temperature on the monitor itself. It should be at 9300K and nothing else for desktop use. It'll be in the options on the OSD somewhere.

Meh, too blue too me, at least on my screen...
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-26, 11:23 PM #19
Hey I got an LCD monitor for Christmas too :D
"DON'T TASE ME BRO!" lol

↑ Up to the top!