Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Woohoo! Star Wars bender!
Woohoo! Star Wars bender!
2005-12-27, 2:30 PM #1
Note: Even though most people here have seen the movies, there are still a few parts I'm going to spoiler tag just in case.

Before this Christmas I had seen all six Star Wars movies, though I only owned Episode 1 and 2(with the former being on VHS). This Christmas I received Episode 1 and 3 DVDs and a 4-6 Triliogy DVD boxset. I thought it'd be appropriate to watch all six in storyline order, which I did yesterday and I just got done watching some of the bonus material from Episodes 1-3 DvDs. Even though it took all day(16 hours), it was very satisfying. Has anyone else done a Star Wars bender? What was your experience?

Personally, I like the Special Edition 4-6(which is what I evidently have) for two reasons. First was better picture quality. In some places it almost looks like they were filmed at the same time 1-3 were. Second were the minor additions that emphasized certain things. For instance, when Han is in the Death Star and chasing those Stormtroopers. In the original he runs into a room of six stormtroopers and runs from them. In the SE he runs into a hangar of probably 50 stormtroopers. Gets the point across better. The one addition I don't like is that damn musical number in the beginning of RotJ. One of the additions I didn't expect though and caught me completely off guard was at the very end of RotJ. Well, the movie shows some celebration on Endor than moves to Bespin. Then it moves on to Naboo, Tatooine, and Coruscant*. This was interesting and I replayed those parts to make sure. The big suprise for me came when Yoda, Obi-wan, and Anakin were together as ghosts though. I'd seen the original RotJ so I thought I knew what would happen. Well, that scene plays and I see Alec Guinness, Yoda,......and RotS Hayden Christensen. I wasn't displeased since I actually liked him in RotS, but I was quite shocked and I find it very funny.

Something I found myself listening into was the voice of Boba Fett. I was pleased with how similiar the Jango and Boba voices were. Still Jango > Boba.

* At first I was confused about why they would be celebrating on Coruscant since that planet was most likely under the indocrination of the Empire. Then I realized/remembered that in one of the Rogue Squadron books when they went to a museum on Coruscant while it was still under Imperial control and they saw an exhibit where it portrayed the battle of Endor as the Emperor sacrificing himself to destroy a Rebel Death Star. It would make sense that the Imperials would tell Coruscant this and that is why they would be celebrating. However, for some reason, I doubt Lucas intended that, even though I see it as a logical conclusion.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-12-27, 2:34 PM #2
"jango>boba"

nooooo...

and the reason they're similar is because they re-recorded his lines with temuera morrison. which is dumb.. i always though the reason boba's voice sounded so weird was because he had a voice changing chip or because of his helmet.
2005-12-27, 2:35 PM #3
OK, cool I'll have to watch for those.

Oh, and there's no difference between Special Edition and the DVDs they released last year because I DO remember the celebrating planets..
I had a blog. It sucked.
2005-12-27, 2:37 PM #4
The original Boba Fett lines were MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the stupid DVD voiceovers. The new lines are HORRIBLE.
2005-12-27, 2:37 PM #5
Oh, one more thing I noticed. I've grown a hatred for Aayla Secura because of Battlefront 2. However, I noticed that in both 2 and 3 she only carries a single lightsaber(there is a humorous editting screw up when Order 66 is carried out with her lightsaber placement in two different shots though). I haven't seen her with two sabers at all. Did Lucasarts just give her two sabers in Battlefront 2 to balance out Darth Maul or something?
2005-12-27, 2:37 PM #6
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:

Oh, and there's no difference between Special Edition and the DVDs they released last year because I DO remember the celebrating planets..

They added Naboo to the other planets.
2005-12-27, 2:48 PM #7
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]The original Boba Fett lines were MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the stupid DVD voiceovers. The new lines are HORRIBLE.[/QUOTE]

How so?
"Well ain't that a merry jelly." - FastGamerr

"You can actually see the waves of me not caring in the air." - fishstickz
2005-12-27, 4:15 PM #8
the new ones sound like crap
Moo.
2005-12-27, 5:02 PM #9
Originally posted by A_Big_Fat_CoW:
the new ones sound like crap
I concur. The original actor was hissing and menacing, but Tamuera Morison's lines sound like he dropped by the recording studio on his way to the parking lot at the end of the day.

And Hayden at the end? I almost puked when I saw that. Ridiculous nonsense by Mr. Lucas. Completely ruins the ending for me. Seriously.

Also, the sabers in the DVD look like crap due to some image enhancing filter used throughout the movie.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-12-27, 5:11 PM #10
Originally posted by Zloc_Vergo:

Original to ReRelease to Special Edition to DVD SE

From SE to DVDSE they added stuff

I don't know whats on the latest version
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2005-12-27, 5:19 PM #11
It makes sense to have Hayden at the end, at least to me.

*shrug*
2005-12-27, 5:34 PM #12
[QUOTE=Vincent Valentine]It makes sense to have Hayden at the end, at least to me.

*shrug*[/QUOTE]How exactly? Hayden represents the young Anakin who became corrupt, whereas whatsisnem the old actor represents the redeemed Anakin who finally brought balance to the force and all that. It defeats the entire purpose of the prophecy. Also, it doesn't make any sense.

/rant
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-12-27, 7:10 PM #13
But Anakin was Hayden Christiansen longer than it was whoever.

Besides, Hayden is hotter.
2005-12-27, 7:27 PM #14
Did anyone else not like the 'latest' Jabba the Hutt in ANH? I thought the older one was great, and now this new one looks completely fake/out-of-place.

And I can't stand that they changed Boba Fett's voice. It's the stupidest thing in the world.
2005-12-27, 8:13 PM #15
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]* At first I was confused about why they would be celebrating on Coruscant since that planet was most likely under the indocrination of the Empire. Then I realized/remembered that in one of the Rogue Squadron books when they went to a museum on Coruscant while it was still under Imperial control and they saw an exhibit where it portrayed the battle of Endor as the Emperor sacrificing himself to destroy a Rebel Death Star. It would make sense that the Imperials would tell Coruscant this and that is why they would be celebrating. However, for some reason, I doubt Lucas intended that, even though I see it as a logical conclusion. [/QUOTE]

Actually, in one of the books, a character (unfortunately I can't remember who or in what book) mentions that he was in the plaza on Coruscant where they pulled down that statue of the Emperor. He explains that there were riots, and that shortly after the statue was brought down, the stormtroopers came through and started shooting people.
If you think the waiters are rude, you should see the manager.
2005-12-27, 8:25 PM #16
Found it. Iron Fist, by Aaron Allston.

"'The crowd went crazy. Loyalists were turning white. Some of them fainting dead away. Rebels and people with rebel leanings were going berserk. Before very long, they actually tearing a statue of Palpatine down. A big one. It took cables and skimmers to knock it over.' Castin shrugged. 'And then the stormtroopers came.'"
2005-12-27, 8:46 PM #17
Three words:

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Not that its legal or anything, but there are versions of the Laserdisc trilogy (4-6) that have been copied over to DVD (at 2/3 DVD quality or so). The laserdisc version was the last one released by lucasarts without modification.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2005-12-27, 10:39 PM #18
[QUOTE=West Wind]Three words:

HAN SHOT FIRST!

Not that its legal or anything, but there are versions of the Laserdisc trilogy (4-6) that have been copied over to DVD (at 2/3 DVD quality or so). The laserdisc version was the last one released by lucasarts without modification.[/QUOTE]

yeah that's what i have
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2005-12-27, 11:12 PM #19
lucasfilm

lucasarts does the games
Moo.
2005-12-27, 11:26 PM #20
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]Found it. Iron Fist, by Aaron Allston.

"'The crowd went crazy. Loyalists were turning white. Some of them fainting dead away. Rebels and people with rebel leanings were going berserk. Before very long, they actually tearing a statue of Palpatine down. A big one. It took cables and skimmers to knock it over.' Castin shrugged. 'And then the stormtroopers came.'"[/QUOTE]

Now, was this book released before the Special Edition, or after?

Lucas: Let's have Coruscant celebrate too.
Some worker guy: Mr. Lucas, that actually wouldn't make-
Lucas: Shut up! It's my story, and Coruscant is cool, so put it in there!

Who's celebrating on Naboo? Aliens are repressed, but humans love the Empire there.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-12-27, 11:27 PM #21
I still have no idea why lucas made greedo shoot. That makes no sense at all. I also don't like how luke falls down the big shaft at the end of ESB - They added in a scream. Why? in the originals he didn't scream, and it was cooler for it. The lightsabers for the most part look really bad as well. Very dissapointing. And I'm not really a fan of boba's new voice. [/rant]
2005-12-28, 4:12 AM #22
The scream was in the originals as well. I always hated it because of how fake it sounded. Didn't even sound like Mark Hamil...
"The solution is simple."
2005-12-28, 5:37 AM #23
Oh. Was it?
2005-12-28, 7:11 AM #24
They cut the scream again for the DVD release.

I never heard the original Boba voice. I only saw (and heard) the actor in person. But since the DVD release was my only chance to get the movies in English I never got to hear him in the movie.
Sorry for the lousy German
2005-12-28, 11:42 AM #25
Nobody bothered to mention the wonderful thing lucas did in adding Ian Mcdiarmid to TESB. Best change to the entire trilogy. And for those too lazy to notice, they changed the Han/Greedo scene again to a more acceptable "They shoot at the same time"
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2005-12-28, 12:01 PM #26
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]Now, was this book released before the Special Edition, or after?

Lucas: Let's have Coruscant celebrate too.
Some worker guy: Mr. Lucas, that actually wouldn't make-
Lucas: Shut up! It's my story, and Coruscant is cool, so put it in there!

Who's celebrating on Naboo? Aliens are repressed, but humans love the Empire there.[/QUOTE]

After the Special Edition.
2005-12-28, 12:06 PM #27
Quote:
Who's celebrating on Naboo? Aliens are repressed, but humans love the Empire there.
Not really since the Empire is everything Naboo is not.
2005-12-28, 12:51 PM #28
[QUOTE=Michael MacFarlane]After the Special Edition.[/QUOTE]

So it's the EU trying to explain Lucas' mistake. That's one of the thing's it's best at.

Quote:
Not really since the Empire is everything Naboo is not.

Palpatine is from Naboo. It's the Emperor's home planet. They love the Empire. In fact, I think they're one of the most loyal Imperial controlled planets.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2005-12-28, 1:08 PM #29
[QUOTE=Chaz Ghostle]So it's the EU trying to explain Lucas' mistake. That's one of the thing's it's best at.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, more or less.
2005-12-28, 7:26 PM #30
Quote:
Palpatine is from Naboo. It's the Emperor's home planet. They love the Empire. In fact, I think they're one of the most loyal Imperial controlled planets.
I suppose that makes since. I'm amazed that a whole planet would throw away their ideals because one of their own is in power though.
2005-12-28, 7:56 PM #31
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]I suppose that makes since. I'm amazed that a whole planet would throw away their ideals because one of their own is in power though.[/QUOTE]

They didn't. Naboo became an imperial planet, yes. But so did Alderaan, Corellia, Tatooine, etc. Just because there's an imperial fleet in orbit and a moff in control, doesn't mean that the planet itself actually supports the empire.

I would say that it is likely that palpatine was able to keep a number of Naboo's governmental officials on his side, simply because he's sneaky like that, and politicians are susceptible to bribes, but most of the citizens were unhappy with the empire.
Moo.
2005-12-28, 8:23 PM #32
Or because if you supported the rebellion he blew up your planet
"If you watch television news, you will know less about the world than if you just drink gin straight out of the bottle."
--Garrison Keillor
2005-12-28, 10:37 PM #33
Not to mention that the most beloved political figurehead of Naboo was "murdered by a jedi." It's that type of manipulation that would allow the people of Naboo to eat from the Emperor's palm.
Completely Overrated Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Comple...59732330769611
A community dedicated to discussing all things entertainment.
2005-12-30, 5:53 PM #34
It was mostly the Gungans celebrating anyways.
Lucas has this whole thing about how when Anakin turned to the dark side, he died, and became one with the force while stil preserving his personality. Or something. I dunno, it starts to get a little hazy towards the end there.
Yeah, the new Palpatine is a 10000% increase in quality. I also like how Vader is sort of revealed as keeping things from the Emperor, in that Palpatine tells him Luke's his son and he acts surprised.
Now, Greedo.
Greedo Greedo Greedo.
I have seen 0 (zero) evidence to sugest Han Solo shot first. Ever.
Let's go to the Original Video.
"Yeah, I bet you have." *flash of light and smoke fills the screen*
For all we know, Greedo's gun exploded.
Now, let's go to the book. This is the original, the pre-movie novelization, released in 1976 (a time many Star Wars fans seem stuck in):
Page 104, 14th paragraph down (second from the bottom). Everyone read along now:
"Light and noise filled the little corner of the cantina, and when it had faded, all that remained of the unctious alien was a smoking, slimy spot on the stone floor."
Doesn't mean he didn't shoot first.
But yes, the DVD version looks best. It's a conciveable miss from two feet this time.

-On a related subject, turn to page 36, second paragraph down. Tarkin is explaining that the senate has been dissolved "for the duration of the emergency". Heh.

↑ Up to the top!