Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Phone = teh crap.
Phone = teh crap.
2005-12-28, 7:29 PM #1
I hate phones. When you call someone up, you have to keep the conversation moving, otherwize there will be long pauses during which the other person will think you are an idiot, calling up with nothing to say. It's not so bad if it's some one you know and you can talk about hard ware with, but if it's a girl or something and you don't have a whole lot of common ground you run out pretty quickly. You can't very well say, "Man, those 5.13 Cat drivers really do wonders for the X--- series cards. Pity Nvidia doesn't do monthly driver releases." So you're brain is on over drive thinking of something to say, and everything you say after that (like this post) is incomprehensible drivel spewn out at 90 miles an hour.
2005-12-28, 7:30 PM #2
ok
2005-12-28, 7:38 PM #3
:eek:
2005-12-28, 7:38 PM #4
Originally posted by 'Thrawn[numbarz:
']ok

2005-12-28, 7:44 PM #5
Obi_Kwiet I believe we understand each other... I had the same problem too... now the thing is to know what to say and when to say it. If this girl is in the same class/area of work that you are in, here are some topics to consider:
-Work/School Gossups (don't overdue it however)
-Things that interest her (her favorite bands/songs/tv shows/)
-Getting together events (Preferably with many people, so you can spend more time talking and organizing things)
-If she is your girlfriend, she must be for a reason; so you should speak about your relationship, like where you met, what you feel for each other, your first kiss, etc etc... HOWEVER I advise this to ONLY be said to your TRUE GIRLFRIEND...

Thats my suggestions... I invite all Massassians to try it out and tell me what turns out.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-12-28, 7:52 PM #6
I think you need to grow up and stop thinking about computers in real life.
D E A T H
2005-12-28, 7:59 PM #7
Good point Yoshi... I can never see my self telling a girl about my Nvidia card... Heck, half the girls down here don't even know what an OS is.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-12-28, 8:33 PM #8
If you can't keep a conversation going, let alone with a girl, then there is something wrong with you, not the phone.
All your bacon are belong to me

< robT> Name ONE thing that your windows comp can do that my MAC cant
< bawss> Right click.

http://www.bash.org/?462310
2005-12-28, 8:44 PM #9
Yeah. It means you suck at girls.
Pissed Off?
2005-12-28, 8:55 PM #10
so you need to work on reversing this and making girls suck at you.
"NAILFACE" - spe
2005-12-28, 9:01 PM #11
Easily fixed. When dealing with chicks, keep the phone conversation to a minimum and save all the real talking for the date. It's just better that way. Just stay on the phone long enough to set something up.
2005-12-28, 9:13 PM #12
wow, page gave some advice that would work in real life, and not lead to a potential slap.
Snail racing: (500 posts per line)------@%
2005-12-28, 9:15 PM #13
Actually, nearly all the advice he gives about girls is sound, just not worded that well at time.
Pissed Off?
2005-12-28, 9:25 PM #14
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I think you need to grow up and stop thinking about computers in real life.[/QUOTE]

Says the man who bought a $100 piece of glass... for his computer....

.... in real life.
2005-12-28, 9:40 PM #15
Originally posted by -Monoxide-:
Says the man who bought a $100 piece of glass... for his computer....

.... in real life.

I did? I could've sworn I got it as a gift and it was only 30 bucks. Huh. Odd, that?

But that's neither here nor there. I've spent a good 1600 dollars on this system--but that doesn't mean I don't have a life. It just means I like enjoying my online one. Now, off to go get drunkenated.
D E A T H
2005-12-28, 9:44 PM #16
I know what you mean, it's easier talking in real life than on the phone. And yeah, good advice, Page. I mean if the conversation is flowing just fine then don't hang up, but otherwise, just call to set something up.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-12-28, 9:49 PM #17
This doesn't happen to people who are interesting enough to hold a conversation, yes, even over the phone.

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-28, 9:50 PM #18
lol I know that wasn't directed at me, but I find that so funny because while I usually am, but I have to laugh considering I was redered unable to speak a few minutes ago and had to resort to the "smile pretty!" approach
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2005-12-28, 10:42 PM #19
Get a gf who lives 100 miles away. When your only means of contact is a phone, you'll find plenty of things to talk about.
I'm not wearing any pants...
2005-12-28, 11:07 PM #20
Or you wont and she'll break up with you. Whichever.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-28, 11:12 PM #21
Personally, if she lives 100 miles away, I think you're doing something wrong.

That's just me though.
2005-12-28, 11:19 PM #22
I don't mind talking on the phone all that much, but I had to call a bunch of people today to inform them of a band practice coming up. I have their emails but if I send them an email, most will probably not check it. That pisses me off.

I hate it when people just keep going and going and going, and you're just like, "SHUT THE EFF UP!" :mad:
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2005-12-29, 1:07 AM #23
Originally posted by Stinkywrix:
Personally, if she lives 100 miles away, I think you're doing something wrong.

That's just me though.

only 90
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-12-29, 3:16 AM #24
talk about your history. *shrug*
Peace is a lie
There is only passion
Through passion I gain strength
Through strength I gain power
Through power I gain victory
Through victory my chains are broken
The Force shall set me free
2005-12-29, 3:17 AM #25
Originally posted by Avenger:
Yeah. It means you suck at girls.

Quoted for comedy.

/Tee hee!
2005-12-29, 6:36 AM #26
I guess if you're finding it hard to talk to someone on the phone, whats going to happen when your talking with them in person? I don't really see it being that much different as far as conversation goes. If i find it awkward to talk to people over the phone its usually because either i don't know them or i just don't really get along with them that well.
/fluffle
2005-12-29, 7:05 AM #27
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Or you wont and she'll break up with you. Whichever.

<3
2005-12-29, 8:13 AM #28
Girl here who hates having to keep conversations going and going talking about nothing, especially over the phone... unless that nothing is something the both of us are really interested in.

Oh hates long distance relationship calls where one has talked to the other day before for an hour or more, they call again wanting to talk for another hour, and the next day...and the next. Untill the "converstions" turn into nothing but hours of sqeeky baby talk, and phrases of "I love you", "I love you too", "honey are you still there?" "I miss you, I miss you to ... *kissy noises*. BLECH!

That and I don't think talking on the phone is really the same as RL. Sure you can hear someones tone of voice but it is nothing like having eye contact.
2005-12-29, 8:21 AM #29
Why talking on the phones suck:

You can't see their reaction to what you say, so you don't know if you've offended them or something. So then you get the awkward silence, and the glare the next day, and you have no idea why.

Chatting on the net is easier, because it is much more laid back, and the lack of "tone" means you are able to tell someone exactly what you mean and not have it misinterpreted.

But talking face to face > *
2005-12-29, 8:49 AM #30
Well, it seems everyone here's already said what I think about conversations on the phone vs. IM vs. real life.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2005-12-29, 8:54 AM #31
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]I think you need to grow up and stop thinking about computers in real life.[/QUOTE]

Or just find girls that are interested in stuff like Nvidia's and ATI's cards.

Yes, they do exist. Rare, but they do exist.

And they're all taken. :(
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-12-29, 8:54 AM #32

What!? No! Nevar! Day of Defeat! Must play... And my Opteron 165! :eek:

Annny way, I was just saying I don't like the phone. I don't have a girl friend, I was just using a girl as an example. But, as it happens it was a phone conversation with a girl that led up to this thread. It's just that I talk really quickly on the phone and others talk really slowly. And there are tonnes of awkward pauses. I hate those things. Also, why do phones have such terrible voice quality? You'd think they could have done something about that by now.

Originally posted by Wolfy:
Or just find girls that are interested in stuff like Nvidia's and ATI's cards.

Yes, they do exist. Rare, but they do exist.

And they're all taken. :(

This is why we need geek missionaries. "Hi, I'm Obi_Kwiet and I like to talk to you about... AMD!"
2005-12-29, 9:38 AM #33
Originally posted by JediKirby:
This doesn't happen to people who are interesting enough to hold a conversation, yes, even over the phone.

JediKirby

It's interesting you say that, because, you know, a conversation tends to be a two-way thing. :p

Seriously, I've had conversations with people before where I am the epitome of soul and wit - I'll have people laughing and all that jazz. Other times .... my conversational skills suck. Why is this? Many factors, including my mood, how much sleep I got, what I had for breakfast, a full moon, etc. .... but the one big factor is the other person. You need to have two good conversationalists to get a good conversation, otherwise it just turns into either the good talker dominating the conversation, or there being an awkard silence because the bad talker has given the good talker no means to have a successful chin-wag.

Those are my thoughts, anyway.
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-12-29, 9:41 AM #34
Phones at least show proper emotion

Online you can hardly tell teh difference between seriousness and sarcasm.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2005-12-29, 10:56 AM #35
mb's right. I mean, I think he's an idiot.

Was that sarcasm, or serious?

YOU DECIDE.
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken
2005-12-29, 11:37 AM #36
teh lol.
Laughing at my spelling herts my feelings. Well laughing is fine actully, but posting about it is not.
2005-12-29, 11:58 AM #37
Originally posted by Kanchi:
Get a gf who lives 100 miles away. When your only means of contact is a phone, you'll find plenty of things to talk about.

Haha. Untrue!

My girl has been about 100 miles away for the past week (winter break from college). We cannot find anything to talk about on the phone. When we actually see each other, we never stop talking, but like many people have already said in this thread, phone conversations generally degenerate into i miss you/i love you/i don't trust you/i need to see you.

There should be a constitutional ammendment against any phone conversation longer than 5 minutes, and the phone conversations topic should be limited to "I'm coming over."

Trust me on this, talking on the phone blows. Many of you may say something like "oh I know if I had a girlfriend I would never run out of things to say." Yeah, I used to say the same thing. Then I stopped judging other people based on the things they do in relationships because the fact of the matter is: All of those things that you think you would never do in a relationship, and you can't understand how two people could actually act like that... you will do each and every last one of them. And it will feel normal. Because it is.

In short: The phone sucks. For all of the reasons Obi_Kwiet listed.

Best advice I can give you, Obi: Stop talking to her on the phone and go talk to her in person. Then if you run out of things to say you can just make out/have sex for a few hours depending on the relationship and your and her beliefs.
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 3:23 PM #38
Originally posted by Bill:
Best advice I can give you, Obi: Stop talking to her on the phone and go talk to her in person. Then if you run out of things to say you can just make out/have sex for a few hours depending on the relationship and your and her beliefs.

Quote:
I don't have a girl friend, I was just using a girl as an example. But, as it happens it was a phone conversation with a girl that led up to this thread.

?
2005-12-29, 4:00 PM #39
Oh, sorry. Forgot you said that. Everyone was going on and on about relationships and such...

Well, if it bothers you so, maybe you should get a woman... and then take my advice.
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 4:09 PM #40
I be da pimp-dizzle. Seriously, I could talk on the phone for hours with a girl. Pretty easy for me.
obviously you've never been able to harness the power of cleavage...

maeve

↑ Up to the top!