Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Exelent topic on the War on Drugs.
Exelent topic on the War on Drugs.
2005-12-29, 9:35 AM #1
http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/ct-prohibition.html

Very good article. And, *yes* there is some launguage, not that any of us care. :p
2005-12-29, 11:03 AM #2
THOUGHTCRIME
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2005-12-29, 11:22 AM #3
We all know very well why drugs are prohibited. Its in the best interest of the individuals... however the law is slowly becoming more and more blind, and letting some things slip, such as gay marriage, which is in no way, in the interest of the individuals.
Nothing to see here, move along.
2005-12-29, 11:29 AM #4
Originally posted by SF_GoldG_01:
We all know very well why drugs are prohibited. Its in the best interest of the individuals... however the law is slowly becoming more and more blind, and letting some things slip, such as gay marriage, which is in no way, in the interest of the individuals.

:eek:
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2005-12-29, 11:55 AM #5
And you complain about people derailing threads?

Anyway, it was an interesting read.
2005-12-29, 11:57 AM #6

Oh no! We can't let the gays get married! Theyd hate it!
2005-12-29, 11:58 AM #7

How about we let the individuals decide what's best for them, hm?
2005-12-29, 11:59 AM #8
"Thou shall not lie, steal, kill, or worship at the golden bong."

awesome.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-12-29, 12:03 PM #9
Hahaha. SF_Gold == Newt.

Gay people totally infringe upon you, don't they? I'll bet you've lost a substantial amount of money due to gays.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-29, 12:05 PM #10

First of all, since when did the law start letting gay marriage go?

Second of all... And I feel this is the only fitting way to put this: [edit- Bill should read this: http://forums.massassi.net/vb3/showthread.php?t=37627 ]
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 12:15 PM #11
The point is that alcohol and drugs are viewed as two different things. There is a taboo on 'drugs' that does not exist for alcohol. While alcohol is ofcourse, just as much of a drug (and even lots more dangerous and damaging than, for example marijuana). One is publicly accepted, the other isn't.

People and their stupid perceptions...

Hey SF_Gold, you don't sound like you really believe in 'Freedom'.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2005-12-29, 12:16 PM #12

"If homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in queer to work. 'Hello. Can't work today, still queer.'"

Maybe thats what your out of work loser dad does?
2005-12-29, 12:28 PM #13
I think every fiber in my body just laughed.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2005-12-29, 12:43 PM #14
Sometimes I feel the urge to tell people off for flaming SF_Gold.

Now I remember why I never do.
2005-12-29, 12:51 PM #15
Ah, ****, vinny, you practically just gave us a license to flame...
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 12:53 PM #16

I get increasingly more pissed off with each post of yours that I read.
2005-12-29, 1:00 PM #17
Massassian #1: Hey guys, what's that?
Massassian #2: I dunno, I can't quite see it.
Massassian #3: It's kind of hard to make out, but it looks like this thread.
Massassian #1: And what's that little Mexican guy with the battle axe doing?
Massassian #2: He's beating that poor thread to shreds!
2005-12-29, 1:01 PM #18
Drug laws are gradually loosening as the general populace edges further towards supporting legalization. Unfortunately the Supreme Court recently ruled against medical marijuana for who knows what reason.
Why can't we leave it up to individuals to decide what to do with their own body, damnit!
2005-12-29, 1:10 PM #19

Oh man, this is classic. Would you mind if I used it as my sig?
2005-12-29, 1:14 PM #20
Originally posted by Warlord:
Drug laws are gradually loosening as the general populace edges further towards supporting legalization. Unfortunately the Supreme Court recently ruled against medical marijuana for who knows what reason.
Why can't we leave it up to individuals to decide what to do with their own body, damnit!
Because the government knows what's best for you!
2005-12-29, 1:30 PM #21
Out of curiosity, I wonder if he was being sarcastic....
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 1:40 PM #22
Originally posted by Bill:
First of all, since when did the law start letting gay marriage go?Second of all... And I feel this is the only fitting way to put this: You're an idiot.
[jon'c]Jedi High School is the worst level ever. JK is dead. SITH2 owns you. You're an idiot.[/jon'c]

We're so much alike bill! I think we should be friends. :D
2005-12-29, 1:48 PM #23
Woah... Idiocy annoys us both! What an astonishing development. lol
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 1:58 PM #24
The powers Bill and Jon`C combined? Whoah, there's a force to be reckoned with!
2005-12-29, 2:35 PM #25
The forums would implode due to the number of "I'm leaving. I'm tired of being called stupid. This place sucks. It used to be so special" threads.
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 3:14 PM #26
Quote:
Because when taking drugs, specifically the harder drugs, you usually aren't affecting only yourself. This rule is applied to alcohol too, but we call it drunk driving, drunk in public, and reckless endangerment.
Democracy: rule by the stupid
2005-12-29, 3:22 PM #27
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]Because when taking drugs, specifically the harder drugs, you usually aren't affecting only yourself. This rule is applied to alcohol too, but we call it drunk driving, drunk in public, and reckless endangerment.[/QUOTE]
Kieran does have a point, but of course nothing in life is as cut and dry as the posts on this thread make it out to be. Personal rights vs. the rights of the government has been a constant issue ever since the dawn of time, especially in the U.S. since it's inception.

Just look at the civil war. Slavery, women's rights, etc. I'm not quite sure if we're making progress any more, or what direction we're heading in for that matter. Are we moving more and more towards 1984, or are we moving towards anarchy? Katrina is a perfect example of "personal liberties" taken to the extreme, but then Communist China is a perfect example of government rights taken to the extreme. :(
2005-12-29, 3:26 PM #28

If they really want to smoke pot, and that's their idea of a good life, I really don't want to have to spend my money to prevent them form doing it. Besides they'll do it anyway. Victimless crimes should not be punished.
2005-12-29, 3:36 PM #29
[QUOTE=Kieran Horn]Because when taking drugs, specifically the harder drugs, you usually aren't affecting only yourself. This rule is applied to alcohol too, but we call it drunk driving, drunk in public, and reckless endangerment.[/QUOTE]
When you're endangering others, you're no longer affecting only your own body. This is obvious.
2005-12-29, 4:24 PM #30
There are alot of things which are legal to do on your own, but illegal if it results in the potential harm of another person.

Fantasizing about rape comes to mind. Perfectly legal. Morally questionable. Don't... you know... take it outside your own little twisted world. Same goes with smoking crack. If it tickles you, go for it. Just don't bring it near me.
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 4:26 PM #31
There are alot of things which are legal to do on your own, but illegal if it results in the potential harm of another person.

Fantasizing about rape comes to mind. Perfectly legal. Morally questionable. Don't... you know... take it outside your own little twisted world. Same goes with smoking crack. If it tickles you, go for it. Just don't bring it near me.

Funny you should use that word to describe crack--that's actually exactly how it feels so says my friend's sister.
D E A T H
2005-12-29, 4:45 PM #32
Originally posted by Warlord:

Well.. think about it they can't just up and say, "Ok everyone you can do drugs now!".. it's like, what if they lowered the drinking age to, 18.. everyone who was 18-20 would go out and get drunk.. so if you can imagian that's probably not a good idea.
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2005-12-29, 4:48 PM #33
i hear that america is in the minority for having such a high drinking age, the rest of the world doesnt seem to be in disarray.
2005-12-29, 4:49 PM #34
Ever seen an addict of Crystal Meth?

If you have, I'm sure you'll agree with me on this.

My solution:

WIPE THEM OUT. ALL OF THEM. [/snidious]
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2005-12-29, 4:57 PM #35
Originally posted by Ruthven:
Ever seen an addict of Crystal Meth?

If you have, I'm sure you'll agree with me on this.

My solution:

WIPE THEM OUT. ALL OF THEM. [/snidious]

Meth addicts aren't that bad. In fact, they're just spaced out fiends. It's kinda funny to watch, actually.

Zanardi--Uh...look at the rest of the world dude.
D E A T H
2005-12-29, 5:00 PM #36
We should say "look at the rest of the democratic/civilized world.

A third world country where someone can consume alcohol instead of breastmilk as an infant probably isn't the best example.
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 5:03 PM #37
You guys forget the problems that accompany drugs. Doing drugs does NOT only effect yourself. There is the already mentioned endangerment of others, but there is ALSO...

The distribution system.

Do you think legalizing drugs will suddenly get rid of all the violent drug related crime? Drugs aren't the same boat as alcohol was anymore.

Also, why do we not allow people to kill themselves? Because something that is 'only harming them' is, in fact, ruining the lives of everyone around them. I don't know if any of you have ever had friends or family experience the negative effects of drugs, but it is a terrible, terrible thing.

Don't even try and bring up how you do drugs and are fine, those are exceptions to the rule. Marijuana, sure, it's hard to argue against that except for most people are annoying and thoughtless while stoned. Then again, lots of people are like that otherwise.

But still, my point stands. Somewhere in all that text.

Also 'look at the rest of the civilized world'? Yeah, just look at them. Tearing themselves apart as much as we are.
2005-12-29, 5:04 PM #38
I don't see what people complain about. It seems like plenty of people have opportunities to get high. It's pretty easy to not get busted by cops. I don't think society would be advantaged if people could buy cocaine at gas stations. The drug culture now is fine.
former entrepreneur
2005-12-29, 5:07 PM #39
Illegalizing anything in demand gives power to the people who acquire and distribute it illegally.

Alcohol bootleggers don't really run things in chicago anymore, you know. And back then drinking some hooch was considered a horrible thing.
>>untie shoes
2005-12-29, 5:26 PM #40
Originally posted by RN2804:

The distribution system.

Do you think legalizing drugs will suddenly get rid of all the violent drug related crime? Drugs aren't the same boat as alcohol was anymore.

The drug trade is profitable because drugs are scarce due to their illegality. Legalize them, and the prices will drop insanely, = no more drug crime.

↑ Up to the top!