Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → HDD mp3 players
HDD mp3 players
2005-12-30, 8:17 AM #1
I'm thinking of getting one. Actually I want to get one really soon. Right now iPod isn't at the top of my list because of it's dependence on iTunes and lack of directory control (I have a large music collection arranged on my pc and I want the structure to remain intact for easy syncing), so I'm interested in hearing about other players as well. The ideal player for me would have the following features -
  • 30 GB minimum, I'd consider 20 if a player meets all other requirements.
  • Battery life - the more the better. I'm going backpacking in South America and I need something to last me long bus rides and often days with no recharging. Something with replaceable batteries would be the best.
  • Size. It has to fit in a jeans or coat pocket.
  • Comfortable navigation, easy volume control. iPod's wheel is hard to beat probably, but I'm botherd by lack of volume buttons. I like reaching into my pocket and changing volume without taking the player out to look at the screen.
  • Easy file transfer that is not software dependent. Ideally: plug into USB, copy & paste.
  • Hebrew support. Though I doubt anyone here will know something about that. Only iRiver's players support Hebrew at the moment I understand.
  • Of course, audio quality has to be good, but I'm not much of an audiophile and everything sounds pretty much the same to me.

I'm leaning towards the COWON iAudio X5L 30GB mainly because it's small, sturdy and has 35 hours playtime per battery charge, which is over double anything else. It's got shortcoming however - it's menu system isn't the best (navigation by directory structure only, too colorful), no dedicated volume buttons and no Hebrew support. Here are others I'm considering -

I'd be interested in hearing opinions from anyone who owns / has used one of these players, or anything else that might be recommended.
Dreams of a dreamer from afar to a fardreamer.
2005-12-30, 8:25 AM #2
I would always put a vote in for iRiver. If you need more battery time, invest in one of the many battery extending accessories you can get.
2005-12-30, 8:34 AM #3
If the iPod's not for you, I'd agree with with Matty and say iRiver.
2005-12-30, 8:38 AM #4
Have you used the H-10 or do you recommend iRiver in general? Because I have an iRiver CD player that works great except for a bug in the hold button that occasionally causes the player to start up despite the hold button being on, thus draining the battery. Sucks.
2005-12-30, 8:52 AM #5
I have had nothing but pleasant experiences from iRiver.

Once, my iRiver stopped working cause I unplugged it incorrectly from USB. It fried the memory. It was over a year outside warranty. They still gave me an RMA and replaced it for free. And by replaced, I mean a whole new package, as if it came off the shelf, with new headphones, and everything.
2005-12-30, 9:17 AM #6
iAudio X5L

iriver's HD players have gone down in quality lately
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-12-30, 10:47 AM #7
Originally posted by DrkJedi82:
iAudio X5L

I have one, and it kicks my ***.
2005-12-30, 10:51 AM #8
iAudio X5L

I have an iHP140 and it's great. I recommend that one, if you don't need the fancy colors, etc...
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■■
enshu
2005-12-30, 11:00 AM #9
iAudio X5L

100% agreement.
D E A T H
2005-12-30, 11:09 AM #10
Originally posted by Tenshu:
I have an iHP140 and it's great. I recommend that one, if you don't need the fancy colors, etc...

they haven't made those for a while... hell the H300 series (which replaced the iHP100 series) has been discontinued for a number of months now
eat right, exercise, die anyway
2005-12-30, 11:19 AM #11
Originally posted by SiliconC:
I have one, and it kicks my ***.
Ah! Then here are a few questions for you:
How do you organize your music on it? Folders with 01 - track name.mp3?
How intuitive is the file browser navigation in general?
How's the text display on the screen? Font/colors etc.
Is that little joystick thingy comfortable?
Can I change all those orange and blue colors that hurt my eyes?
2005-12-30, 11:55 AM #12
I've heard nothing but bad things about the H10, i know (in real life) loads of people for who it's really unstable and dodgy.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-12-30, 12:20 PM #13
Yeah that's what I've been reading as well. Anyone here actually have it though?
2005-12-30, 12:25 PM #14
Yes, I have it. It doesn't work. Well, it worked for a while, then it didn't work.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2005-12-30, 12:48 PM #15
iTunes still lets you control your directories (though it takes a bit of work. i don't leave anything in the iTunes directory anyway). I've also had an iRiver for a while as well (flash-based), so i'd have to recommend them (especially as they come with Sennheiser earbuds stock).
50000 episodes of badmouthing and screaming like a constipated goat cant be wrong. - Mr. Stafford
2005-12-30, 1:27 PM #16
iRiver's flash players are only beat by iAudio's flash players. But their harddrive line sucks.
D E A T H
2005-12-30, 2:08 PM #17
Ack. X5L sold out on NewEgg! Maybe I waited too long...
2005-12-30, 3:11 PM #18
[url]www.pricegrabber.com[/url]
D E A T H
2005-12-30, 3:18 PM #19
iRiver's H120 and H300 series for the win...
they aren't made anymore, but ebay has them
soooo much better than iRiver's new crap H10 series
yay for not posting much ever
2005-12-30, 3:19 PM #20
I love my nano. Solid state is the best!

↑ Up to the top!