Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Calling All Massassians!
Calling All Massassians!
2006-01-26, 4:06 PM #1
For Lazy Folks

JKHub is putting together a CTF level pack, and we're looking for YOU guys to put some levels together! Go check it out here:

http://jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=209

For Former Editors

I know not a lot of you visit the main page, so I figured I'd crosspost onto these forums. I didn't put it in the editing forums because I'm not looking for the people who go there; they'll already know about this.

I'm trying to attract all of you editors who've put away the cleave-tool. Those of you who still have a disk with JED on it, sitting somewhere on your HD. I know who you are, and I want to invite you back to JK editing.

Being an admin over at JKHub, and one of the co-founders, I obviously have a love for JK. I, personally, love JK's amazingly unmatched CTF gameplay. Every amazing pure-jk experience I've ever had has been on The Duel, or Nar. Those maps, along with JK's gameplay were ASTOUNDING.

I'm not going to kid you; JK was on it's last leg for a long time, but we've revitalized her. With new improvements like the Thing/Adjoin Limit Remover, several ambitious projects, and several tools for editors to enhance their projects, JK is recovering.

Because of my love for CTF, as well as JK editing, I decided to kick off 2006's editing season over at JKHub with the HPC, Hub CTF Pack contest. This is the first of several editing challenges we'll be having over at the JKHub in hopes to peak people's interest in our friendly old game.

If you didn't catch it, The JKHub has released a level pack already. The HLP is a grand success in the eyes of the JKHub admins, considering it over received 15 submissions: That's more Quality JK levels than Massassi's seen in the last 2 or 3 years. All amazing in their own light, these levels in the pack shine greater than any levels released at any time during JK's higher points.

The HLP was an outstanding success. We'd like to make the HCP even more amazing. JK has a pulse; it's time to give her a breath of air, the ability to blink, and a rush of excitement when she wakes up. I'm calling out to all of you editors who gave up on JK long ago, as I had. I'm asking you to get your asses into gear and support your JK community!

I'll even get you started with a nifty little treat. This is ZeqMacaw's [founder and God of JKHub] personal compile of JED. It does not check for a CD, and has 200 undo's, and also allows you to undo a lighting calculation. This handy little JED update can speed up your projects, and save you reconstruction time. You can get ZED here.

For the rest of you:

This pack will be voted on by all of YOU. All levels will be voted on BY the community. That means we'll be able to see the support our level editors have by the amount of community feedback they receive on their levels. Go, sign up for the JKHub, comment on levels, give constructive criticism! We're ALWAYS open for ideas, and it'll really help with bringing back JK. This thread should be about discussing how we can improve the community, and what you guys think we need to do to ensure JK's future. Those of you who are cynical about JK's life: This thread isn't for you.

Everyone is welcome to #JKHub on irc.holonet.org, and #JKGames if you're interested in a fun filled game of JK. I admin in both rooms, and am almost always available for discussion, answering questions about my projects or the Hub's projects in general, or anything.

So please, support JK, help make my pet competition run smoothly, and get editing!

JediKirby
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-26, 4:08 PM #2
Jedi Knight? What's that?
Stuff
2006-01-26, 4:12 PM #3
What does "Voting" mean?
2006-01-26, 4:14 PM #4
Actually, it's JK2 that has the unmatched CTF gameplay, but you were close.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-01-26, 4:23 PM #5
I think the first HLP was a success, but I really don't think a CTF pack is a good idea. Thousands of DM levels, only 30 or so CTF. CTF isn't really popular for JK, despite how good it may be. I think another DM level pack is the way to go.

Nevertheless, I do support this pack, and I'll probably have a submission for it.

I think for this pack to be successful, we should redo JK's CTF completely. Perhaps push the bounds of what CTF really is, at least in terms of JK. Fresh gameplay elements would be fantastic. Anybody have ideas?
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-01-26, 4:29 PM #6
I do realize that there haven't been many CTF levels made for JK, and even fewer are mentionable... but that's the idea! We're trying to expand our community, and for all of those JK gamers out there who want a fresh JK experience, we're offering this up. We'll be making an entire pack devoted to the lacking part of the community.

I think it CAN be a success, and that's why I'm putting so much effort into getting people geared up and interested. If it doesn't work out, I can only say that we tried. There will be other competitions that are geared towards the more popular aspects of JK, so it's not like we're devoting all of our time to a dying contest. It's just one of the many new thngs happening at the hub.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-26, 4:31 PM #7
[19:27:06] <Emon> reshape CTF while you're at it
[19:27:08] <Emon> come up with something fresh
[19:27:13] <Emon> even push the bounds of what CTF is, maybe
[19:27:26] <+landfish> moving flag
[19:27:38] <Emon> that's an idea
[19:28:43] <+landfish> one member of each team "is" the flag

idea is similar to the Counter-Strike mode "Assassination".
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-01-26, 5:20 PM #8
Can I submit a level that I've already started?

http://jkhub.massassi.net/project/show.php?projid=191
Aquapark - Untitled JK Arena Level - Prism CTF
2006-01-26, 5:47 PM #9
Yep!
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-26, 6:03 PM #10
JediKirby is doing an excellent job at the new models for the game. I highly suggest any good level editors help him out, he's got a lot of talent.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-01-26, 6:59 PM #11
Originally posted by 7:
[19:27:06] <Emon> reshape CTF while you're at it
[19:27:08] <Emon> come up with something fresh
[19:27:13] <Emon> even push the bounds of what CTF is, maybe
[19:27:26] <+landfish> moving flag
[19:27:38] <Emon> that's an idea
[19:28:43] <+landfish> one member of each team "is" the flag

idea is similar to the Counter-Strike mode "Assassination".

This would be awesome! It'd be better if you didn't have to kill the flag though... Like you run up to and catch the flag (all the while it's shooting at you) and use the activate key to "kidnap" it (like... if you touch him, the flag's weapons deactivate for 30 seconds so you can try to kidnap him). then you take him back to your base. That would be intense.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On
2006-01-26, 8:56 PM #12
I've never done or attempted CTF before... how ever I've got an idea. Have any of you ever played "Capture the Flag" Football?
Nothing to see here, move along.
2006-01-27, 12:56 AM #13
Quote:
I'll even get you started with a nifty little treat. This is ZeqMacaw's [founder and God of JKHub] personal compile of JED. It does not check for a CD, and has 200 undo's, and also allows you to undo a lighting calculation. This handy little JED update can speed up your projects, and save you reconstruction time. You can get ZED here.
ZeqMacaw is my new hero. 200 undos! :D
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-01-27, 4:19 AM #14
Originally posted by Emon:
I think for this pack to be successful, we should redo JK's CTF completely. Perhaps push the bounds of what CTF really is, at least in terms of JK. Fresh gameplay elements would be fantastic. Anybody have ideas?

How about CTF with 4 teams?

I've been looking at the cogs for CTF a lot lately to get ideas on how to do certain things with my Onslaught Mod. I think it would be pretty easy to add another two teams to the cogs. I'd be willing to alter the cogs to allow that if anyone was interested in building a level to use them.
2006-01-27, 6:25 AM #15
Done. I'll design my level around 4 teams if necessary.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-01-27, 6:44 AM #16
You should make a new Infiltrate pack. (I think that was the name)

Anyways, that mod was great! Assault gameplay in JK rocked my shorts.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-01-27, 12:28 PM #17
As a long-time NF CTFer, I'm glad to see that the JKHub is doing this. I have a few CTF maps that I've been working on, on and off for a few years now, so if I can find the time away from work, I may even submit at least one of them. I may even be able to talk Purity, who has already released a few CTF maps for JK, in to popping open JED again. It's too bad Mormegil isn't around anymore. :(
2006-01-27, 12:46 PM #18
I would, but there's the FGR curse around me.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-01-27, 12:50 PM #19
I would, but there is the Jepman curse around me.
(aside from JKRPG and a handful of levels and skills, there is not much I've ever released)
2006-01-27, 1:19 PM #20
Urgh. I remember why I put down my cleave tool.

I suck with it, and I never finish things.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-01-27, 2:22 PM #21
Originally posted by Giraffe:
How about CTF with 4 teams?

I've been looking at the cogs for CTF a lot lately to get ideas on how to do certain things with my Onslaught Mod. I think it would be pretty easy to add another two teams to the cogs. I'd be willing to alter the cogs to allow that if anyone was interested in building a level to use them.

I'd rather we SUPPORT this, than actually require it.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-27, 7:02 PM #22
I'm REALLY tempted to try and make something for this, but I dunno. I've got a musical going on and tons of homework lately. It's been hard to find time honestly. My internet's been down for about a week up til now and I've hardly been on the computer, which to be perfectly honest is kind of a nice feeling.

I may try making something, but CTF kinda scares me - how do all the cogs work? Could someone post an updated tutorial? That'd be great! ;)

-Daft
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-01-27, 7:03 PM #23
The entire #JKHub chatroom is willing to help you with CTF cogs, as that's one of our biggest worries. Daft, your submission to this project would make me tickled pink.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-01-28, 1:39 AM #24
Originally posted by JediKirby:
I'd rather we SUPPORT this, than actually require it.

Yeah, I wasn't planning to overwrite the cogs, just copy and change them. Then it's simply whether you implement the original CTF cogs in your level, or the modified ones.
2006-01-28, 4:22 AM #25
I think I have done a CTF for the last Massassi CTF contest before but I never submitted it in. The only released CTF level I have for JK is floating around Massassi called "SavageX's CTF". I might consider doing one for this contest since I've been looking for a excuse to do some JK editing again (and no, I'm not considering doing any mods). No guarantees though.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-01-29, 12:59 PM #26
Originally posted by SavageX378:
(and no, I'm not considering doing any mods). No guarantees though.

You might wanna consider doing a mod for JK, because Sige has just programmed/hacked the JK.exe again, to allow for an external .dll to register new cog verbs! So far hes got:

HeapSave("path\filename.ext"); //saves the calling cogs heap
LoadHeap("path\filename.ext"); //Will automatically create and load the heap in the calling cog
HeapSize(); //Grabs the number of elements in the calling cogs heap (I think...)
GetPlayerPitch(); //Returns a flex for player torso look in degrees.
GetPlayerLvec(); //Returns a vector for player torso look

It's in it's infancy, but currently it's all stable and works well. :D I'll have a project page for it once ZeqMacaw is done rewiring some things on the Hub. :)

[Sorry to kind of Hijack the thread. :( Now on to ON TOPICNESS! :D]

I would LOVE to help out with the 4 team CTF cogs, and any other trap cogs people might be thinking about. I might even do up a JK Tactical Assault (JKSF rename) kind of CTF map, with some ships via level cogs. ;)
-Hell Raiser
2006-01-29, 1:45 PM #27
The only level I almost released was too annoying to release.

Damn near everything smashed or flung you across the level.

I wish I didn't suck at editing so much, because I'd learn something new like HL2.
2006-01-30, 5:46 AM #28
anyone want to implement keys in a 4-team CTF level? I'm going to use the two bins that were used for the CTF team keys for the blue and green flags if no-one objects...

If anyone does want to make a 4-team CTF level with locked doors, you'd better let me know, so I can find some other bins to put them in.
2006-01-30, 5:52 AM #29
Originally posted by Jepman:
You should make a new Infiltrate pack. (I think that was the name)

Anyways, that mod was great! Assault gameplay in JK rocked my shorts.

Do it. :(
2006-01-30, 5:53 AM #30
It's been a long time since I've touched anything to do with editing, but I think I've got an idea for a really fun CTF map.

I've already got the cogs half worked out and I've started work on the map. This could be fun! :D
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-01-30, 6:01 AM #31
Infiltrate was fun, but I agree, a new pack for that would be awesome. Someone made an attempt at a JailBreak mod for JK once as well, which was decently fun, but the levels weren't that great. I'd love to see a pack for that as well.
2006-02-02, 5:07 AM #32
If anyone was thinking of implementing a four-team CTF, you can follow progress at the project page I've set up.
2006-02-02, 2:35 PM #33
Attention:

The Hub is back up, so you can go check out those links now.
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-05, 12:45 PM #34
hmmm... I like the idea of capturing some sort of VIP and bringing him back alive. That way, everyone has to watch out for the VIP, even his captors.

Also, if I make a submission, which I probably won't, but if I do, here's my idea:

Each team starts off on a different world... each with it's own distinctive environment that has different flow strategies. By using teleporting machines, teams can spawn a teleport at a random location on the other team's world, as long as it's outside a certain 'flag zone' (to prevent a team from spawning right next to it). Players can then go through this one-way portal, pop out of a vortex and snag the flag... they then have to commander the enemy team's teleport machine and travel back to a random location on their world and get the flag back to their base.
Cordially,
Lord Tiberius Grismath
1473 for '1337' posts.
2006-02-12, 12:28 PM #35
Sounds cool. Now if I can balance baby time with Jed time, I just might dust of Jed. Errr Zed?
2006-02-12, 1:35 PM #36
Originally posted by Detty:
Actually, it's JK2 that has the unmatched CTF gameplay, but you were close.

Yeah, I don't remember JK CTF being too popular in comparison to DM, but one of JK2's great highlights was the fast-paced, fun CTF. Great times.

4 Team CTF is a very interesting idea. It could be very dynamic. I wonder how one would easily defend if 2 or 3 teams decided to gang up on singles.

↑ Up to the top!