Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine...?
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine...?
2006-01-27, 10:23 AM #1
The forums here seem to be the biggest domain of explorers of Jedi Knight files... and I was wondering if there's anyone here who happened to try wrestling with the slightly updated Jedi Knight engine and formats used by Lucasarts' later game, "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine"?

The game stores everything in GOBs, like JK (and there even are JK remnants in it - some files are named "sith", etc., and retain comments and names from Mysteries of the Sith), but there are some considerable differences, too. For example, only a few textures seem to be stored in the .mat format, and - sadly - all music, SFX and dialogue are stored in big .CND files (which seem to contain text descriptions and multiple .wav files which are not actually WAVs, but which have a string "WVSM" in their headers and which _may_ be ADPCMs...)

I was especially interested in finding out where most textures are stored and how to open/read/convert/decode/decrypt, etc., the sound from the big mysterious CND files.

Here is the Indy demo with some GOBs in it, if anyone happened to want a look:

http://www.lucasarts.com/products/indy/indydemo.exe

If you try running it on Windows XP and it doesn't work, try running MS Media Player and _then_ starting the game (this is not a joke).
2006-01-27, 10:31 AM #2
Paramount strictly forbid anyone from modding/making addons for the Indy game. Unfortunate... but with Sith2 it seems like maybe there are better things in store for the community in the future.
2006-01-27, 10:39 AM #3
I remember back when Brian and I maed indyinferno.com. Bri even got me the game and sent it (back then i was younger and didn't have the cash.)

Damn did we get pissed when we found out we couldn't edit the game. Damn bastards.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-01-27, 10:49 AM #4
Yeah it specifically states in the EULA that you're not allowed to modify Indy Jones, which sucks madly.
2006-01-27, 4:41 PM #5
So don't get caught.
2006-01-27, 6:36 PM #6
I love the Infernal Machine. Along with JK, the two are some of my favorite games. I would have loved to edit it, but as already stated, the EULA says no go. Really does suck, especially with all the improvements the game made on the Sith engine. It didn't have multiplayer though. :(
My JK Level Design | 2005 JK Hub Level Pack (Plexus) | Massassi Levels
2006-01-27, 7:47 PM #7
I love how the demos for games like this and MotS are so small.

It boggles my mind.
2006-02-01, 6:29 AM #8
So... nobody tried? Anything "unofficial"? :P

All I could do and find is described above... extract the .CND files from the GOBs, find out that they consist of multiple files ("mus_map.wav", for instance) with "WVSM" in header, that nothing seems to recognize... and that there is a reference to the ADPCM format in the game (but sound tools can't recognize those "WVSM" chunks as any variant of the ADPCM codec)...
2006-02-01, 6:32 AM #9
By the way, if anyone has it installed now and remembers the Peru level fairly well, here is something humorous... Load this save and look around. I did this while playing iM in 2000 or 2001; I don't really know how it happened, but it did, and, of course, I saved it.
Attachment: 10154/Indy.zip (73,482 bytes)
2006-02-01, 2:29 PM #10
Originally posted by Vess:
By the way, if anyone has it installed now and remembers the Peru level fairly well, here is something humorous... Load this save and look around. I did this while playing iM in 2000 or 2001; I don't really know how it happened, but it did, and, of course, I saved it.

So what happens?
2006-02-01, 2:45 PM #11
I never saw what this game looked like, and I'm sure it won't run on my windows. Can anyone post pictures?
DO NOT WANT.
2006-02-01, 4:16 PM #12
I used to have the demo. Lotta fun to drive around, hittin' nazis.

-The demo always crashed after the "Buy this game now or we'll never let you press the escape key again!" picture thing.
2006-02-01, 8:29 PM #13
Originally posted by Axis:
I love how the demos for games like this and MotS are so small.

It boggles my mind.

It boggles my mind about the size of a newer game's demo.
"The solution is simple."
2006-02-01, 8:32 PM #14
And the fact that new game demos nowadays are usually just one very short level. I remember when they would be three levels long. :(
DO NOT WANT.
2006-02-01, 9:34 PM #15

PLEASE! tell me what that does, I REALLY want to know. But at the same time I'm not just going to load it up and see a bunch of viruses unload themselves onto my computer. :p
2006-02-12, 7:56 AM #16
Load the save and you will see something strange. :D

If a camera locks up at any point, open and close "Advanced video properties" from the game's menu to fix it.

If anyone's interested in exploring the game, I found out that 99% of the interesting material is in the CND files, but it seems obscured to make extracting and editing difficult. :\ For example, the .MAT textures are in those CNDs, but they have no headers, so extracting them so that they could be viewed without distortion was beyond me. I wish a programmer familiar with Lucasarts's formats looked at them... :(

I found some interesting data in the other files, though. For example, here is the loading screen from a whole unused level. I wonder how much more of it remains in there...

[http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/3038/shambalabamba3ti.th.jpg]
2006-02-12, 9:55 AM #17
Load the save and you will see something strange. :D

Are you talking about the Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind Spoof in the Peru level ? Because if so, I already found that.
2006-02-12, 12:02 PM #18
Originally posted by bearded_jarl:
I used to have the demo. Lotta fun to drive around, hittin' nazis.

Erm... they were Commies...
A slightly more stripy Gee_4ce, and more than just Something British...

Visit the home of Corporal G on the Internets
2006-02-12, 12:16 PM #19
How do i get past the first part of the demo?

[Oh and Bearded_Jarl I read you'r time traveller posts LOL!]
2006-02-12, 12:42 PM #20
Why would a game company fear and fully restrict modders modding their game?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-12, 1:01 PM #21
I believe it was the holders of the Indy license that required it to be restricted not lucas arts.
but I could be wrong.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-02-12, 1:05 PM #22
But still, when did modding ever hurt a game's success?
2006-02-12, 1:15 PM #23
didn't, but modding wasn't near as popular back then as it is now.

Probably just the idea that "we want this game to be something very specific. and it should be anything but what we want it to be."

Not to say that it's a good reason or even an acceptable reason, but they also canceled sam & max.
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-02-12, 5:09 PM #24
Wasn't there a recent law invalidating overly restrictive EULAs? Something about EULAs being read after the purchase of the software, maybe?

I know there was a thread about this... somebody help me out here!

And yes, it was an awesome game complete with a nicer Cog language. Would have liked to see an editing community for that game.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-02-12, 5:37 PM #25
Originally posted by DSettahr:
Paramount strictly forbid anyone from modding/making addons for the Indy game. Unfortunate... but with Sith2 it seems like maybe there are better things in store for the community in the future.
Yes, but Sith 2 will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever support Indy anything. Any patches that ever support Indy files will be refused and I might even get a lawyer to shut down anything that both supports Indy files and calls itself "Sith 2".
2006-02-12, 8:00 PM #26
Originally posted by Gee_4ce:
Erm... they were Commies...

Nazis, Commies, it's all the same to the grill of a jeep.

-*pthump*
2006-02-12, 8:47 PM #27
Commies fought the Nazis one time, I believe.
2006-02-13, 8:44 PM #28
Oh yes, quite viciously. You see, initially they were sorta standoffish, a "you stay off my lawn, I stay of your lawn" agreement, until... sometime after Czhech (sp?) got invaded, and they split it up, and then things started gettin' tense... Then, there was the whole "It would be a great idea to invade Siberia in the middle of Winter" plot that Hitler worked out after not heeding Napolean's mistakes, and the march of the pissed off ruskies into Berlin, wherein the German women threw themselves from the rooftops rather than stay around and wait for the Russians, who then proceded to kill 20 million people, spread their pinko influence about the orient, and strategically did not aide in the offensive on Japan, all the while openly and viciously contesting the United States for the honors of first nuclear warhead (using stolen German experiments, just like Uncle Sam), a contest they lost (though they put a man in space first), but sorta won in the long run with the largest nuclear detonation in 19... I wanna say 83, but that's most likely way off.
That was one paragraph of what appears to be very McCarthyist thinking.
Let me say that I am a second generation Hippy, and I am very open to the ideals of communism (not necessarily to the extent that Marx lauded), but just plain like capitalism too darn much.

-So, in conclusion, the grill of a jeep does not differentiate between nationalities, ethnicities, economic philosphies, or socio-political associations. *pthump*
2006-02-14, 4:49 AM #29
As far as that goes, already at the moment of signing the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact, shaking hands "remotely" and smiling, both Stalin and Hitler had been planning how and when to attack each other. The difference was that Stalin was essentially expecting Hitler to hit Russia after Reich conquered the whole Western Europe, so Adolf's soon and sudden Barbarossa shocked and surprised him enormously. Stalin's breaking voice during the famous "brothers and sisters" speech after the attack was not, as had been reported in Russia for years, "the expression of sadness and compassion for the brave people of Mother Russia", but the result of the whole morning of shouting, fuming, fury and anger over "how did HE dare strike ME first!"...

Oh, as for the save, it's nothing as common and obvious as the hidden room. Just load it and look around, though you need to remember the level fairly well to immediately spot the big surprise.
2006-02-14, 5:16 AM #30
Originally posted by bearded_jarl:
Oh yes, quite viciously. You see, initially they were sorta standoffish, a "you stay off my lawn, I stay of your lawn" agreement, until... sometime after Czhech (sp?) got invaded, and they split it up,

They didn't make their Nozi-Soviet Pact thing until after Czechslovakia was taken by the Nazis for Liebensraum. Poland disappeared because the agreement meant that they weren't planning on attacking each other, and therefore both countries saw it safe[ish] to take Poland. Ofcourse the British didn't like the whole Poland thing, along with France. Oooh errr.
nope.
2006-02-14, 10:51 AM #31
I've opened up some of the files and viewed the game 3do's.. that's about the extent of anything I've done with IJatIM
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-02-14, 3:09 PM #32
Does *anyone* remember something about overly restrictive EULAs being invalidated? I could swear there was a thread about this not too long ago.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-02-14, 4:05 PM #33
I remember somethign about it, how it was illegal to say things like you can't mod games or something.
To be honest, I never really pay much attention to EULAs or ToS. This shall someday be my downfall.

Huh. Seems I had the intent and chronology of the Soviet/Nazi relationship a little messed up. Darn.

-Hey! Guy in a greenish/brownish/grayish coat! *pthump*
2006-06-24, 5:49 PM #34
To resurrect this for a minute, and if this is of any interest, there are some new "funnies" regarding IM:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?p=202834
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2112031#post2112031
2006-06-24, 6:06 PM #35
Interesting but, uhm, it's been a while.... :ninja:
2006-06-24, 10:09 PM #36
Please don't revive many month old topics.
-=I'm the wang of this here site, and it's HUGE! So just imagine how big I am.=-
1337Yectiwan
The OSC Empire
10 of 14 -- 27 Lives On

↑ Up to the top!