Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → RIAA lawsuit - again..
RIAA lawsuit - again..
2006-02-03, 6:30 AM #1
..against a woman who has never used a computer.

http://rss.slashdot.org/Slashdot/slashdot?m=3466

Quote:
Posted by CowboyNeal on Friday February 03, @03:01AM
from the luddite-encouragement dept.
The Courts The Internet Music
boarder8925 writes "Marie Lindor, a home health aide who has never bought, used, or even turned on a computer in her life, was sued by the RIAA in Brooklyn federal court for using an 'online distribution system' to 'download, distribute, and/or make available for distribution' plaintiff's music files. She has requested a pre-motion conference in anticipation of making a summary judgment motion dismissing the complaint and awarding her attorneys fees under the Copyright Act."
woot!
2006-02-03, 7:17 AM #2
My, my, my.

*shakes head*
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-02-03, 7:20 AM #3
I'm not surprised really. what with all the mumbo jumbo of UK stores needing a liscence for musicians to play known songs on the instruments they sell -and- wanting to jail tab site owners... the RIAA/MPA all those A's(ses) are really pushing on everyone's freedom for the cause of their wallet. it's disgusting :(
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-02-03, 7:29 AM #4
Everyone's 'freedom' of downloading all the songs they want for free?

Yeah, here they're wrong.
2006-02-03, 7:51 AM #5
where did i talk about downloads now?
"NAILFACE" - spe
2006-02-03, 7:59 AM #6
Originally posted by commodoresloat:
This woman does laundry a lot and has no dryer, so she hangs her clothes to dry. When the RIAA said she was using an "online distribution system" to make plaintiff's music files available, they were not referring to a computer; what they meant was that she is often heard whistling copyrighted songs while she hangs clothes on the line; hence, "online distribution system." Typical slashbots rush to this criminal's defense when it is clear she was openly and shamelessly stealing music and she was caught red-handed. Meanwhile, the RIAA music executives are being deprived of a living (or at least of a third yacht) thanks to the lawless actions of such criminals. Eventually this will kill music, as the RIAA warned us about home taping so long ago -- why would an artist bother creating or recording new songs when any old lady can just come by forty years later and whistle it without paying the company that distributes your cds a dime?

Haha, that's funny.

And sadly, not that hard to believe.
2006-02-03, 9:02 AM #7
You know, I really wouldn't care if terrorists did us a favor and wiped out RIAA HQ :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-03, 9:03 AM #8
On another note, I surely hope that awesome french law will pass there. It wouldn't be too late to start learning french then.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-03, 11:51 AM #9
The RIAA police strike again!
Attachment: 10200/police.jpg (109,946 bytes)
Life is beautiful.
2006-02-03, 12:11 PM #10
How did the RIAA find her in the first place?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-03, 12:18 PM #11
They must have picked a random name out of the phonebook.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-03, 12:30 PM #12
They randomly pick IPs and subpeona the ISP for names and addresses. They claim the IPs they select are of people that d/l songs, but since some IPs are static to a location some of these have nothing to do with the person that lives there at the time.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-04, 5:57 PM #13
Ah. But what about dynamic IPs?
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-04, 6:10 PM #14
Soooo they just pick names out of a phone book now?

Thats got to be one hell of a phone book!
2006-02-04, 6:13 PM #15
Oh and when they sue me... Ill have some pretty good arguements
[YOU *******S IM CANADIAN AND ONLY 13 THIS DEPRIVING ME OF MY FREEDOM]
And make SURE it gets on CNN so nerds far and wide can fing a loophole.
2006-02-05, 9:36 AM #16
Wasn't that the big thing the last countersuit was supposed to fix? That lady in Oregon who was sued, and how her countersuit was supposed to expose the RIAA's fishing expeditions?
Steal my dreams and sell them back to me.....
2006-02-05, 7:41 PM #17
LOLZ AT ZE NETOWRK!
2006-02-05, 7:46 PM #18
Originally posted by Tiberium_Empire:
Soooo they just pick names out of a phone book now?

Thats got to be one hell of a phone book!

http://www.google.com/help/features.html#wp

:eek:
woot!

↑ Up to the top!