Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Poll you up good
Poll you up good
2006-02-07, 7:41 AM #1
Post your favorite programming languages!

I was stuck between C/C++ and perl, but I went with perl in the end.

(And yes, I know HTML is not a programming language. Humor me. Or humour me if that's how you swing)
Ban Jin!
Nobody really needs work when you have awesome. - xhuxus
2006-02-07, 7:43 AM #2
HTML

its the only one I can get to work right :)
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-02-07, 7:44 AM #3
HTML isn't a programming language..but it's the only one I know much/anything about. :p
woot!
2006-02-07, 8:03 AM #4
I mainly use C#, although sometimes I port down to C++, and I hate doing that.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-07, 8:11 AM #5
You should probably have COG as an option, heh.
Stuff
2006-02-07, 8:28 AM #6
PHP cause it's the only one I know.

HTML isn't a programming language, either :p
2006-02-07, 8:34 AM #7
Brain**** is my favorite language by far. (favorite != proficiency)
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-07, 9:50 AM #8
C and MATLAB
2006-02-07, 10:02 AM #9
Where's my choice for Delphi or Object Pascal? :(

I voted C++, but it's a language I hardly know. HTML & javascript, which I'm much better with, don't really count IMO. My choice for a 'best' language has as much to do with the convenience of the libraries I can use as the syntax and versatility.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-02-07, 12:01 PM #10
ActionScript is not on there. You shall surely die.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-02-07, 12:19 PM #11
Obvious choice: C++. Close second would be C#. The only problem with C++ is its lack of language-level multithreading features.
2006-02-07, 12:35 PM #12
Doh. The last time we had this sort of thread I earned myself an eternal place in Sarn's sig... as a savage.

But still VB is the only language I know well enough to program a tracer path finding algorithm...
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-02-07, 12:45 PM #13
Brain**** is fun. Too bad I don't know it.

I picked C/C++ because that's what I've been using the most. Qt is also a pretty nice toolkit. OpenGL is good too.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-02-07, 12:54 PM #14
I was born and raised on java. Just learning C right now.
2006-02-07, 1:01 PM #15
C++ cause its the only one i know how to write :D
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2006-02-07, 1:10 PM #16
I voted BASIC.
Ah. the memories... :)
Sorry for the lousy German
2006-02-07, 1:25 PM #17
C#. It' has the quickie job visual design of VB, cleanliness of Java, and some nitty gritty features of C++.

I also know Java and some (hopefully to be a lot more) C++.
2006-02-07, 1:35 PM #18
coding is for nerds

I aint a nerd!
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-07, 1:37 PM #19
I didn't see COG, so I voted BASIC! :)
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-02-07, 2:41 PM #20
Originally posted by KnightRider2000:
ActionScript is not on there. You shall surely die.

LOL, I thought that too when I saw the poll.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-07, 2:41 PM #21
Seeing how I only know Python...

Python.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-02-07, 2:45 PM #22
I dunno. I've been liking some of the concepts in Eiffel even if the syntax is annoying.

I think i'll vote for php, i know it better than anything else and i dont find programming in it a chore.
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-02-07, 6:40 PM #23
Originally posted by Ruthven:
coding is for nerds

I aint a nerd!

Well, your mom's a nerd ZOMG LOL
2006-02-07, 6:43 PM #24
Originally posted by Chewbubba:
I didn't see COG, so I voted BASIC! :)
COG is a crap language. I'm rather the authority on how much it sucks. :p
2006-02-07, 6:45 PM #25
I'm a php freak

I haven't used C++ for too long for me to vote for it.
一个大西瓜
2006-02-07, 8:03 PM #26
-Why- is COG not on that list?
2006-02-07, 8:33 PM #27
Originally posted by Axis:
-Why- isn't COG on the list

Because I don't know how to edit a poll.

And actionscript was on there, but I took it off because it's even less of a language than HTML.

How does PERL only have one vote?!
Ban Jin!
2006-02-07, 8:42 PM #28
COG shouldn't be on the list anyway.
2006-02-07, 10:03 PM #29
Originally posted by Jon`C:
Obvious choice: C++. Close second would be C#. The only problem with C++ is its lack of language-level multithreading features.

Allow me to brain pick. I've heard some mixed stuff about using .NET and the whatnot. What is good about C# and what is bad about it. So far I've seen it's use in ASP.NET web apps/scripts but latetly, some goons have been creating a multiclient IM in C# (language). I've yet to try it out.

Edit: So non-goons CAN read SH/SC.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-07, 11:00 PM #30
Originally posted by JediGandalf:
Allow me to brain pick. I've heard some mixed stuff about using .NET and the whatnot. What is good about C# and what is bad about it.
C# is just the language expression of the .NET Framework. Nothing terribly special about it, but it provides support for all .NET features. The .NET Framework provides functionality that's commonly-demanded, often-used but rarely supported natively by languages or libraries. Many of the formerly challenging tasks - such as memory management and referencing - are automated by default, but you can still employ traditional techniques by using unsafe code sections. Application development is much faster and it has a far lower barrier of entry. .NET programming is easily within the abilities of anybody.

I still prefer native C++ but it's mainly because I have more experience programming in that environment. C# is my language of choice for any application which isn't performance critical or doesn't call for an extremely low level of control.
2006-02-08, 8:36 AM #31
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
Well, your mom's a nerd ZOMG LOL

Impossible, nerds don't get laid.
2006-02-08, 8:48 AM #32
Originally posted by SMOCK!:
And actionscript was on there, but I took it off because it's even less of a language than HTML.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

ActionScript is turing-complete, therefore making it a perfectly valid programming language. HTML is strictly a markup language with no programming constructs whatsoever. There is no way you can justify your statement.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-02-08, 9:15 AM #33
Originally posted by Impi:
Impossible, nerds don't get laid.

No, there are hot nerd chicks.
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-02-08, 9:33 AM #34
Originally posted by Schming:
No, there are hot nerd chicks.

Unsinn!
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-08, 9:47 AM #35
Those are photoshopped!
2006-02-08, 10:22 AM #36
Show me a hot nerd chick, and I'll show you yet another female that doesn't want to have sex with you.
Stuff
2006-02-08, 2:15 PM #37
Learning C now. I know Java some what but not alot.

Java was good but a pain when you had to get anything remotely large done, It just seems to take alot more code to do anything in Java. I think it has something to do with that whole security thing.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-02-08, 10:34 PM #38
Originally posted by kyle90:
Show me a hot nerd chick, and I'll show you yet another female that doesn't want to have sex with you.

From you gigabytes of images? ;)
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-08, 10:36 PM #39
Originally posted by Detty:
You have no idea what you're talking about.

ActionScript is turing-complete, therefore making it a perfectly valid programming language. HTML is strictly a markup language with no programming constructs whatsoever. There is no way you can justify your statement.

Darn. I knew I should have put a smiley after my post.
Here's one now: :p
Ban Jin!
2006-02-09, 7:23 AM #40
I picked good 'ol C++, though in fact, if I actually had taken the time to get acquanted with C#, I'd probably like it a lot more. And here is yet another "HTML shouldn't be on there" sentence. :P
Wake up, George Lucas... The Matrix has you...

↑ Up to the top!