Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → I think my computer just tried to boot off my MP3 player
I think my computer just tried to boot off my MP3 player
2006-02-09, 12:06 PM #1
So I'm installing the IE7 beta, to try it out, and it says it needs to restart. No big deal, right? Well, it reboots, goes through POST, and then sits at a screen with a quickly-flashing dash. I ctrl-alt-del it, and it reboots again, this time going through a screen that says it isn't seeing either hard drive and "BIOS is not be installed." (exact wording). It then proceeds to go to the screen with the flashy dash again. So I reboot it, and this time hit all the F-keys in an attempt to boot windows into safe mode (I was still thinking it was somehow caused by the IE7 install). Of course it takes me into the BIOS setup instead, but I look through it anyways, and in the boot order list there's something very funky going on.

Boot Order:
1. Sigmatel mscn
2. First HDD
3. Second HDD

So I'm thinking "WTF is 'Sigmatel mscn'?" Anyways, I change the boot order and it works fine. I googled "sigmatel mscn" and it came up with a few things about MP3 players.

My MP3 player is made by "Curtis", but I think I remember something about a "Sigmatel" when I was installing drivers for it. Still very strange for the computer to decide to boot off of it; I thought you had to do something weird and special to boot off USB devices. Ah well.

Oh yeah, and it erased all the music from it too.
Stuff
2006-02-09, 12:49 PM #2
Remind me to not boot my comp up with my MP3 player in. Made by the same company :P
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-02-09, 1:52 PM #3
Too bad it didn't boot up with some uber secret operating system with access to the Pentagon network and everything.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-02-09, 2:07 PM #4
lassev.. shut up. You're... not supposed to talk about that... :em321:
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-02-09, 3:05 PM #5
yeah some times when i boot my pc with my ipod pluged in it doesn't want to get past ram check for some reason. pitty about all your music, if that happend to me id chop my toes off. i dont have any backups. is IE7 worth the download?
Take that there and put it in here
2006-02-09, 3:31 PM #6
Well, I have all my music on my hard drive too, so I didn't lost anything; as for IE7, nah, Firefox is still better. Although if you're still using IE6 it would definitely be worth upgrading to.

Hah, who am I kidding, nobody uses IE6.
Stuff
2006-02-09, 3:36 PM #7
Way too many do. :gbk:
Naked Feet are Happy Feet
:omgkroko:
2006-02-09, 3:45 PM #8
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]Remind me to not boot my comp up with my MP3 player in. Made by the same company :P[/QUOTE]
Remember, don't boot up you're pc with your MP3 player in.
2006-02-09, 3:48 PM #9
Originally posted by kyle90:

People like my mom do, who don't know a freaking thing about computers. My school does.
I had a blog. It sucked.
2006-02-09, 3:49 PM #10
My school uses IE4.

And all the right type.
"Jayne, this is something the Captain has to do for himself"

"N-No it's not!"

"Oh."
2006-02-09, 4:15 PM #11
It's because your MP3 player is a USB device, probably acting as a hard drive.

Lots of motherboards have the ability to boot off of USB devices now.
2006-02-09, 4:18 PM #12
Originally posted by kyle90:

Except 80% of the internet.

2006-02-09, 4:32 PM #13
[QUOTE=Cool Matty]It's because your MP3 player is a USB device, probably acting as a hard drive.

Lots of motherboards have the ability to boot off of USB devices now.[/QUOTE]

It's never done it with my Jumpdrive though, or my digital camera (which I have set to work as a regular USB drive), or the memory card reader on the printer... Plus why would it automatically change the boot order?
Stuff
2006-02-09, 4:41 PM #14
[QUOTE=The Mega-ZZTer]Except 80% of the internet.[/QUOTE]

They don't count.
2006-02-09, 7:55 PM #15
[QUOTE=Glyde Bane]My school uses IE4.

And all the right type.[/QUOTE]

Heh, I remember back in my old days of high school (right after we discover how to make fire with rocks), the school's computer lab were all a bunch of power macintoshes that ran IE 3.0 and were using 1996 technology. Man, the internet on those things was UGLY! CSS was like a foreign language for those poor machines. Every website was an ugly shade of blue and purple. Blech! I wouldn't be surprised if the tech hasn't change over the past 5 years. The school's priority in spending funds always went towards buying more vending machines and painting the school and ugly shade of purple and white.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!

↑ Up to the top!