Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Dark Forces Players??
Dark Forces Players??
2006-02-10, 3:34 PM #1
Does anyone else out there still play the original adventures of Kyle Katarn? Or am I the only one?
2006-02-10, 3:38 PM #2
I still do
I have it installed as one of my laptop games for on the go
Holy soap opera Batman. - FGR
DARWIN WILL PREVENT THE DOWNFALL OF OUR RACE. - Rob
Free Jin!
2006-02-10, 7:44 PM #3
I have the Demo installed on my Comp at work...does that count?
"The solution is simple."
2006-02-10, 7:46 PM #4
I used to... before my old laptop...sorta....died...

no... its just in a coma...

ya... thats it...

:(
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-02-10, 7:48 PM #5
I would still play the game if the FREAKING GAME INSTALLATION PROGRAM ACTUALLY WORKED. I can't install the game the proper way and the only work around involves not using the install program which means I can't change the default controls. The default controls suck.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-10, 8:00 PM #6
I would, if I could get sound to work with Dark Forces, under WinXP.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-02-10, 8:12 PM #7
I got it on OSX but using the files for the PC and combining it with the DF Mac demo version. It works pretty damn well. Sound does too! But I can't get mod levels to work.

This is probably the only real time where its +1 for games on OSX.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-10, 9:03 PM #8
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:

Yep..if I knew where the CD was, I might also. I couldn't get sound to work either.
woot!
2006-02-11, 1:09 AM #9
Heh, I originally played it on a 386. You had to REALLY want to play it, cause it was a freakin' slideshow. Sometimes I'd play it at my friend's house on his P66 (or something like that), I couldn't believe the speed.

Anyway, no, I haven't played it in years. At the time though, it amazed me.
2006-02-11, 1:11 AM #10
Originally posted by ORJ_JoS:

"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-11, 2:02 AM #11
i have dark forces installed on my winxp machine. the sounds work, but not the music, and i haven't tried any custom levels or anything. i also am only on level three. frickin sewers.
Why do the heathens rage behind the firehouse?
2006-02-11, 4:41 AM #12
Yes, but most of here won't because OMG IT'S OLD.

And we all know old games can't be played anymore.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-11, 5:28 AM #13
I have the natty big cardboard box I first got it in.

Haven't touched it in years, though. I always got stuck on one of the missions where you had to run around searching frantically for key cards. Somewhere cold, no doubt.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-02-11, 6:02 AM #14
I still play occassionally on my XP machine, but it won't install due to one little incompatible file... I get through to about the fourth level, then I'm too tired, and have to turn it off! No saves! I like to play the JK level Rebel Agent for the Dark Forces feel. BTW does anyone know when the Dark Forces JA mod will be ready?
2006-02-11, 6:10 AM #15
It was before my time, but I do have the game, and have been thinking about installing Win95/98 on an old box just to play through it. There were some patches that enabled the game to run on WinXP, but they were buggy and irritating.
2006-02-11, 6:43 AM #16
Originally posted by TheCarpKing:
i have dark forces installed on my winxp machine. the sounds work, but not the music, and i haven't tried any custom levels or anything. i also am only on level three. frickin sewers.

We had the strategy guide kicking around somewhere.. :D
woot!
2006-02-11, 6:46 AM #17
If I could play with mouse and sound/music I would play it a lot.
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-02-11, 6:59 AM #18
everyonce and a while but i play JK more
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2006-02-11, 9:02 AM #19
I own it for the PS, yah I know PC was better ( thats how I beat it) but I wasn't able to find it on PC then a few months ago I found it for the PS for $5.00.

works for me.

I play it ocationaly
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-02-11, 11:54 AM #20
Originally posted by SavageX378:
I would still play the game if the FREAKING GAME INSTALLATION PROGRAM ACTUALLY WORKED. I can't install the game the proper way and the only work around involves not using the install program which means I can't change the default controls. The default controls suck.

Actually you can. Copy install.exe from the CD to the same dir as dark.exe and rename it to setup.exe. Run it.

For Dark Forces sound I recommend getting VDMSound 2.1.0 beta for 2K/XP. Then once it's installed, right click on imuse.exe and run with VDMS, choose default settings. Then once you have sound configured, do the same with dark.exe and it should work.

You may have to go into dark.exe's properties and find the VDMS settings, and change the emulated devices to use WAVE instead of DirectSound (or vice versa) if it doesn't sound right.

2006-02-11, 12:27 PM #21
I play this game against my friends all the time.
2006-02-11, 12:42 PM #22
Originally posted by money•bie:
I play this game against my friends all the time.

... how?
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-11, 12:51 PM #23
Oops! that should read, "I play this game against my friends [in my imaginary dream world] all the time"
2006-02-11, 12:51 PM #24
I remember there being a DF multiplayer hack somewhere... or then it was another Dark3D-like fiasco.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-11, 2:08 PM #25
I've actually never played DF.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-02-11, 2:35 PM #26
I can't find my copy :(
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

↑ Up to the top!