Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Do you uninstall?
Do you uninstall?
2006-02-12, 8:21 AM #1
I just downloaded ver. 1.5 of Firefox and Thunderbird, and I wondered how many of you uninstalled the old version first or just installed the new over the old.

Simple.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-02-12, 9:06 AM #2
atop of itself
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
2006-02-12, 9:32 AM #3
Just over the old one. I don't remember it recommending to uninstall the old version first, so it would logically be just extra work not really needed.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-02-12, 9:46 AM #4
Ok, this is about to take a turn, so mods, feel free to move this to the technology forum.

After installing ver 1.5, I noticed two things. One, this odd looking pull down button in the address bar, and two, the freaking scroll bars are gone!

How do I get rid of the pull down and get my scroll bars back?
Attachment: 10381/huh.jpg (32,637 bytes)
2006-02-12, 9:48 AM #5
Looks like your theme is broken. Try uninstalling your theme.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-02-12, 10:48 AM #6
Fixed! Thanks!
2006-02-12, 12:31 PM #7
Code:
apt-get install mozilla-firefox

..Which will automatically upgrade an existing installation if a newer version is found...
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-02-12, 12:38 PM #8
get firefox
Warhead[97]
2006-02-12, 2:44 PM #9
Originally posted by BobTheMasher:
get firefox

reading comprehension FTL
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-12, 3:30 PM #10
I'm going to start blowing away people who use FTL and FTW, starting... NOW!
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2006-02-12, 4:05 PM #11
Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
I'm going to start blowing away people who use FTL and FTW, starting... NOW!

Blowing up people FTW!!!!
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-12, 4:08 PM #12
Originally posted by lassev:
Just over the old one. I don't remember it recommending to uninstall the old version first, so it would logically be just extra work not really needed.

Same.
woot!
2006-02-12, 4:09 PM #13
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Blowing up people FTW!!!!

Heh, I thought the same thing...
2006-02-12, 4:20 PM #14
It's deinstall, not uninstall. Damn Windows.

When I run portupgrade on FreeBSD, it deinstalls the old one and installs the new one for me.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-02-12, 4:32 PM #15
Originally posted by SavageX378:
reading comprehension FTL

Sarcasm comprehension. ;) heheh
Warhead[97]
2006-02-12, 4:50 PM #16
Didn't 1.5 (which has been around for some time now) introduce the automatic upgrade feature?
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-02-14, 1:19 PM #17
deinstall? Wouldn't that be pronounced like dinestall if that was actually a word? Hmm... maybe I should have checked a dictionary before posting this. whatever...
"You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" Anyone who recognizes this quote is awsome.
2006-02-14, 1:22 PM #18
I would pronounce it de-install.
[This message has been edited. Deal with it.]
2006-02-14, 1:29 PM #19
Show me deinstall in a dictionary, Malus.

Dictionary.com has an entry for uninstall, so even if it is a Windows invention, it's still a word.
Historians are the most powerful and dangerous members of any society. They must be watched carefully... They can spoil everything. - Nikita Khrushchev.
Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god. - Jean Rostand.
2006-02-14, 1:35 PM #20
Originally posted by gbk:
Code:
apt-get install mozilla-firefox

..Which will automatically upgrade an existing installation if a newer version is found...

Code:
emerge mozilla-firefox-bin

Which does the same thing, on a far superior distro!

*fanboys and runs*

:D

↑ Up to the top!