Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → ramblings
ramblings
2006-02-12, 12:02 PM #1
today on my way back from my parents house I had the pleasure of having to take my dads laptop back to his work in London for it to get fixed, well, get a device that plugs into it to sync up correctly.

anyways, point is on the 1hr ish journey down to London I had with me this tiny 1 month old sony vaio laptop which I had yet to have a play with, I've never even had a laptop, and this vaio is so very nice...

So with the pending prospect of me getting a PhD and the fact that I will most likely need a laptop I pulled it out and proceeded to play around with it, used the vodaphone GPRS to surf the net for 5-10mins, checked massassi, played a bit of pinball, but then got bored so I decided to fire up word and test out the keyboard and see how it felt to type on.

well...

I continued to type all the way into London for probably the best part of 45mins, the topic didn't stay the same but consisted of various things ranging from the laptops keyboard, to strange buildings on the way down, to dribbling while asleep on the train....

the question is who whats to read it..?

its a 1,313 word ramble, hopefully with a few laughs for some in there too. Its not to be taken seriously in anyway and please don't correct me on any grammer or spelling, its a ramble. After reading through it when I got back I thought I would proceed with posting it on massassi.

So who wants it??

[edit] I should say I will check back in ~ 2 hrs and make a decision[/edit]
People of our generation should not be subjected to mornings.

Rbots
2006-02-12, 12:04 PM #2
Why not. :D
D E A T H
2006-02-12, 12:10 PM #3
Go for it.
nope.
2006-02-12, 12:37 PM #4
Go ahead.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-02-12, 1:53 PM #5
well owing to the huge response [/end sarcasm] ;)

here it is.

Quote:
Lets just see how interesting it is to type on this machine, its not something that I am overly used to but it seems to be ok, as to whether I could use this laptop on a regular basis is yet to be seen, but on the whole the experience of typing on this little laptop doesn’t appear to be too bad.

I do however seem to be making more mistakes in typing than I usually do but that could be down to many different factors, I don’t really believe the smallness of the keyboard has anything to do with it, although it defiantly doesn’t help matters, the train rocking about is probably more of a reason.

I’m not too happy about the screen though, it does seem to hold finger print marks quite heavily so I will have to look out for that when and if I get one so as not to get the screen too dirty. This can be said for a lot of screens on laptops nowadays, they all seem to get this covering that although it makes the screen darker, shows up fingerprints as if they were being taken for criminal investigation.

It is quite interesting to see that I can type virtually blindfolded and actually looking away from the laptop enjoying the green British countryside and not make too many mistakes that is quite reassuring to know and also very relaxing at the same time. Its also nice to see the rather amazed looks that I seem to be getting off some of the passengers when I look around the cabin and continue to type…hahaha I think to myself, for all you know I could be writing an in-depth description of you to hand over to the police, muwaahaha.

The smallness of the keyboard seems to be a bit of a blessing in disguise, you do have to be more accurate with your typing but it does allow you to type more quickly and even type while looking out the window at the scenery, which is nice.

I think I’m going to try typing all the way to London just to see how well it goes, because in a few months to a year I will have to buy a laptop and I must start looking into what I will be buying and make a choice as to what I want.

Something interesting that I noticed on the way down to London on the train, there is this building that is next to the railway track and it kinda looks like a monastery but we don’t really get those sort of things in the UK any more. The train announcer says we are just arriving in High Wycombe so at least that gives me something to look at when I get back, I should check google earth and see if that place is on the map.

Thinking about it I quite enjoy train journeys, they give you time to think about your life, or just have a nice little nap that no one knows about. The only problem I have with sleeping on the train is that when I sleep I seem to dribble, now normally that wouldn’t be such a problem but on a train it would be rather embarrassing, especially when you think that many different people will staring you at.

This actually happened to me once, I was having a nice little sleep going from Euston to Rugby on the way home, I had had a really long day and was quite tired, so I decided that I would have a little half hour sleep or at the very least rest my eyes for 45 minutes or so.

So I got my ipod out and turned on the music, made sure the play list had some relaxing music and went off for a nap. I can’t honestly remember how long I was asleep or even how long it took me to fall asleep, but what I do know I must have been dribbling.

How was I aware of this? quite simply I awoke and found the people opposite suddenly turning away from looking at me with a slight little grin on their faces. There followed the usual reaction from me, which is to look around the cabin and check the faces of the other people on the carriage. Sure enough across the aisle two more people looked away with a little grin on their faces.

This whole process took less that a couple of seconds and always seems to occur when I awake from sleep, I check my immediate surroundings to see what is going on and then actually go about the business of awaking ones self after I have decided that I am not in any immediate threat.

This time however the immediate threat was real, my dignity, how would I go about trying to salvage such I thing when I had, for god knows how long, been dribbling down my shoulder, the place where my head normally comes to rest when I sleep upright.

Is ones dignity even something to worry about in a situation like this or should the immediate thoughts instead turn to whether I had actually missed my train station, which up to that point had failed to cross my mind.

So I was faced with the decision, check my watch in the hope that I haven’t missed my station or somehow try to look as if nothing is wrong and wipe any dribble from my shoulder without looking too obvious.

I’ve never been one to care too much over my dignity so I chose to instead look at my watch, ignoring that fact that I could now defiantly feel a cold wet patch against my left cheek, the dribble…

To my utmost relief I had found that I had somehow awoken almost perfectly on time, that is, if the train was still on time. I would have around 5-10 minutes to gather my things by which time the train should be in the station at rugby.

So with the relief of knowing I hadn’t missed my station next came the task of wiping the dribble from my face, did I care how I went about this process, or did I even care if I looked like a total uncultured hoof, no, quite simply it came to my attention that it would be highly unlikely that I would ever set eyes on these people ever again, I could probably call them all idiots as I left the train and although I would need to time it perfectly, I would get away with it.

So I just decided that I would wipe my face with my sleeve, the horror, the total and utter shock you must be thinking, its taken you what seems like 5 minutes to decide on this, but no, in fact this all happened within what would have been 10 seconds, this is why it is so memorable, something so simple as wiping dribble from ones face involves so many decisions in ones head that it take almost a page to write them all out but only seconds to actually do.
And now I sit here, just about to get into London and thinking to myself, what in gods name was the point of writing all this, none, I can be pretty sure of that.

The laptop seems very nice, I defiantly like it, I’ve got very used to the keyboard and it hasn’t got too hot like most laptops do and the battery still says I have over 6hrs left.

As for the story, I will save it and most likely post it on massassi to be seen and ridiculed at for my ramblings, but what else are you supposed to do on a 1hr train journey, sleep? Ah, but the accursed dribble will strike!!

reading through it, it does sound at times as if it was written by a 12 year old...god my english sucks

Rbots
2006-02-12, 2:41 PM #6
Hehe. Cute.
幻術
2006-02-12, 2:57 PM #7
i scrolled through but didnt notice anything of interest

you didnt even mention physics!

you dissapoint Ruthven greatly :(
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-12, 3:06 PM #8
An interrrrrrrrrrresting story.
Hey, Blue? I'm loving the things you do. From the very first time, the fight you fight for will always be mine.
2006-02-12, 3:17 PM #9
Originally posted by Ruthven:
you didnt even mention physics!

I was travelling through the middle of nowhere on a train...theres limited scope to think of such things...

out of interest this is the monastery/church building I saw, which from the air doesn't look quite so interesting...although on the train all you could see was the top sticking out over the trees, which has a golden dome (or something) with a cross on top, not your average english church...

the railway line is east of the picture.
Attachment: 10387/church thing.jpg (43,361 bytes)

Rbots
2006-02-12, 3:41 PM #10
Just in case anyone is having problems picturing this, I thought a picture might help :)

[http://www.palonia.co.uk/johanger/pics/peps/james_train.jpg]
One should never throw the letter Q into a privet bush
Vin Diesel shot the sheriff, but he did not shoot the deputy; he ate him alive instead.
My Site
2006-02-12, 6:19 PM #11
Funny, you are the first person I know who would find entertainment in using Word!
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-13, 6:16 AM #12
What about Geb?
nope.
2006-02-13, 6:49 AM #13
Originally posted by Joey:
[http://www.palonia.co.uk/johanger/pics/peps/james_train.jpg]

?
Attachment: 10394/Image1.jpg (30,451 bytes)
the idiot is the person who follows the idiot and your not following me your insulting me your following the path of a idiot so that makes you the idiot - LC Tusken

↑ Up to the top!