Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → What strange foods do you make when you're low on food supplies?
What strange foods do you make when you're low on food supplies?
2006-02-15, 2:33 PM #1
Have you ever have one of those situations where you're trying to make something to eat and you discover that you're missing an ingredient so you're force to substitute something else?

I just had one of those moments a few minutes ago. I was making a tuna sandwich when I discovered that I'm out of mayo. Since I already opened a can of tuna, I wasn't going to waste it because of the lack of mayo so I decided to use some potato salad instead. I made myself a potato tuna salad sandwich. It was actually pretty good!

Another time when I ran out of hot dog buns, I decided to make a strange hot dog cheese burrito. I took some hot dogs, sliced them up into little bits, put them and some sliced cheese inside of a tortilla, covered them in ketchup, cooked it for 30 seconds, and wrapped it up and ate it. Its actually not very good to eat. It's rather bland but it's something to eat though when you're hungry.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-15, 2:34 PM #2
i just ate roasted chicken in a biscuit with cheese and ranch dressing, and my roommate likes potato salad on white bread
gbk is 50 probably

MB IS FAT
2006-02-15, 2:36 PM #3
I had one of those tubes on Balogne, you know the cheap stuff that you get non cut.

I ate a 2 inch slice of that.
2006-02-15, 2:39 PM #4
I once mixed several cans of ramen with some left-over tri-tip. it was great.
2006-02-15, 2:42 PM #5
:p People

mmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmm
mmmmmm!
2006-02-15, 2:46 PM #6
If you don't have mayo, just use the tuna on it's own, it's pretty damn tasty. Mind you I've been addicted to the stuff since I could eat solid food.

Now meself, I find that if you replace missing mayo with salad cream, it's awesome.
nope.
2006-02-15, 2:50 PM #7
or ranch dressing...

mmm.

I posted a thread along these lines a while back. I've been known to eat plenty of random things (ie, a ketchup on white bread sandwich, didn't have any mayo or mustard or lunch meat, and I can't stand pb and j).
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

Lassev: I guess there was something captivating in savagery, because I liked it.
2006-02-15, 2:54 PM #8
when i was in college i was POOR!! a friend of mine worked nights at mcdonalds and would drop off a box of uncooked fries and 20 or so uncooked 1/4lb patties. when i got sick of them i started boiling the fries to make mashed potatoes and thawing and cooking the patties to make meatloaf. it was pretty good.
2006-02-15, 2:57 PM #9
This one time I was totally out of filet mignon I had to have a ribeye steak instead. It sucked ***.

This other time I ran out of the breading for beef wellington, so I decided to eat lobster instead. Beef wellington, unbreaded, might as well be lunch meat.
2006-02-15, 3:00 PM #10
I actually made some corndogs today since I discovered three was nothing to eat in the house aside from hotdogs and I didn't have any buns or bread around the house. so i found some corn muffin mix in the cupboard and mixed it up plopped it and some hotdogs into this weird thing that my mom bought. and 5 minutes later, tah-dah corndogs.
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2006-02-15, 3:10 PM #11
Originally posted by MFalse:
this weird thing that my mom bought.

:eek:
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-15, 3:13 PM #12
Originally posted by Emon:
:eek:

is this shocking in some way i don't realise?
"It sounds like an epidemic."
"Look, I don't know what that means. But it happens all the time." - Penny Arcade
Last.fm
2006-02-15, 3:14 PM #13
rice cakes and porridge :(
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-15, 3:33 PM #14
One time I was barbequeing steak, but I didn't have any beef, so I ate my brother instead.
former entrepreneur
2006-02-15, 3:36 PM #15
Peanut butter and turkey on jewish rye bread.
error; function{getsig} returns 'null'
2006-02-15, 4:09 PM #16
Cigarette soup. a pack of cigarettes, and a pot of water. Boil water, add cigarettes, cook for fifteen minutes Add salt for flavoring.
:master::master::master:
2006-02-15, 4:15 PM #17
Cottage cheese + yogurt + raisins. In fact, I think I'll go have some now.
Marsz, marsz, Dąbrowski,
Z ziemi włoskiej do Polski,
Za twoim przewodem
Złączym się z narodem.
2006-02-15, 4:31 PM #18
There's always those times you have cereal with water since you've run out of milk.
I've also been making strange recipes involving kidney beans and cheap noodles.
2006-02-15, 4:40 PM #19
Wheat bread + refried beans + black beans + semisoft tofu
"Those ****ing amateurs... You left your dog, you idiots!"
2006-02-15, 4:45 PM #20
Mayo + bread(single slice, whole grain if possible) = great
2006-02-15, 7:04 PM #21
Peanut butter and DILL PICKLES!! Not on a sandwich though, because that would be gross. :p

It actually tastes pretty good, but causes horrible, nightmarish diarrhea.*

* actually doesn't, but your digestive tract may vary
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2006-02-15, 8:05 PM #22
I usually find some fries or something in the freezer and make some crispy fries with the oven, then melt cheese over them and put seasoning and meat and ketchup on top...basically make myself a poutine with whatever toppings I can find in the fridge.

Or...I just crab crackers or eat sandwich meat plain. Or combine both. Or drink milk or chew gum.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2006-02-15, 8:07 PM #23
I can't eat tuna right out of the can, but one day my dad bought this italian tuna...my jesus. I ate an entire can of it.
Think while it's still legal.
2006-02-15, 8:12 PM #24
ROCKS!
Epstein didn't kill himself.
2006-02-15, 8:16 PM #25
you mean like using cold water when it says hot water?
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-02-15, 8:27 PM #26
Bread, cheese, and milk.

And for 'high class' moments, there is always peanut butter ramen.
2006-02-16, 1:37 PM #27
Originally posted by Recusant:
There's always those times you have cereal with water since you've run out of milk.
I've also been making strange recipes involving kidney beans and cheap noodles.

Someone I know was out of milk once, and didn't want to use water. After 5 mins of searching his kitchen, he added Jack Daniels. It became a firm breakfast favourite until his money ran out.
nope.
2006-02-16, 1:58 PM #28
Philadelphia cream cheese on thin pita bread for the win.
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-02-16, 4:39 PM #29
OR cream cheese wrapped in thin ham.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2006-02-16, 4:42 PM #30
Shredded cheese + tortillas = CHEESEBLAST

Just plain white rice with pre-cooked chicken in it is usually really good.
D E A T H
2006-02-16, 5:17 PM #31
Ramen or popcorn. Unorigional, I know, but I'm in college, I don't have the supplies to be creative. Anything I buy other than those two is gone within a week. Besides, even if I don't have ramen or popcorn, odds are someone in my hall does.
Fincham: Where are you going?
Me: I have no idea
Fincham: I meant where are you sitting. This wasn't an existential question.
2006-02-16, 5:44 PM #32
I always feel like making poutine when I'm at home, but I NEVER have the gravy. In my furor I have often used some rather strange and nowhere-near as tasty substitutes, like for example barbecue sauce or plum sauce
2006-02-16, 5:50 PM #33
In the summer, I go outside and pick fresh blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries, toss 'em in the blender, add some strawberry yogurt, some icecubes, some sugar, and about a half-cup of milk, and grind it all together for one helluva smoothie.

Other times, I trap small birds and fry them over a crackling barbecue. Minus the beak.
2006-02-16, 6:18 PM #34
noodles, msg, some soy sauce, some peppers, and frozen broccoli and carrots.
omnia mea mecum porto
2006-02-16, 7:25 PM #35
I was helping a friend move one day, and we only had a hand full of ingredients in the kitchen in the new house.

We ended up cooking a Garbanzo Bean and Cheese curry... Not half as bad as it sounds.
"Well, if I am not drunk, I am mad, but I trust I can behave like a gentleman in either
condition."... G. K. Chesterton

“questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself”
2006-02-16, 7:37 PM #36
Take left over chinese and put it on some bread

it's damn good :p
"Oh my god. That just made me want to start cutting" - Aglar
"Why do people from ALL OVER NORTH AMERICA keep asking about CATS?" - Steven, 4/1/2009
2006-02-16, 7:40 PM #37
You haven't lived until you've tried a fresh boiled owl pellet :p

It's delicious!!!
"You cannot turn me off!"

-Ryham
2006-02-16, 7:42 PM #38
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Shredded cheese + tortillas = CHEESEBLAST[/QUOTE]

Cheeseblast? The ingredients above are the basic essentials of a quesidilla.

↑ Up to the top!