Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Did you enjoy JO and JA?
Did you enjoy JO and JA?
2006-02-15, 8:20 PM #1
I remember when JO came out and everyone was like "Yeah this game rocks" about a month later is was "JO sucks, JK is a million times better" then JA came out and "Holy crap, it's amazing! It's what JO should have been!" now it's like "JA is one of the worst games ever made" I don't get it!

Personally I enjoyed JO, but I really loved JA. I remember being a total dick about JA, calling it a saber mod for JO and nothing more, but then I played JA. Once I started I couldn't stop. For some reason I was addicted. The game sucked me in, and didn't let go until the end. I liked the way that you picked missions, and even though some of the voice actors were annoying as all hell, I enjoyed the cutscenes as well. Out of JK, JA, and JO, I must say JK and JA are tied in my book, with JO in second place. (Not far second, but not that close either. Like I said, I enjoyed JO, the graphics were an amazing change from JK, and there were so many added features. The game was really JK, but better in every way. I just didn't really care much for the story and some of the gameplay/puzzles")
Think while it's still legal.
2006-02-15, 8:22 PM #2
I'm not being a fanboy, I just really didn't like them much. JA would have been fun with a better community, as saber fighting was rather fun.

Am I the only one who thinks even a little bit of SBX inspired JA's fighting style?
ᵗʰᵉᵇˢᵍ๒ᵍᵐᵃᶥᶫ∙ᶜᵒᵐ
ᴸᶥᵛᵉ ᴼᵑ ᴬᵈᵃᵐ
2006-02-15, 8:22 PM #3
JO SP > JK SP.
JK MP > JO MP.
"it is time to get a credit card to complete my financial independance" — Tibby, Aug. 2009
2006-02-15, 8:24 PM #4
JK > JO > JA

That's how it is.

Oh, and JO MP >>>>>>> JA MP. JA sabers suck ***.
2006-02-15, 8:26 PM #5
Quote:
JA sabers suck ***.

Pfft. There were like 94,876 different saber moves you could do in JA. <3
Think while it's still legal.
2006-02-15, 8:51 PM #6
I liked JO and JA SP better than JK (although the JK cutscenes rocked!) but I never really got into the MP sides of the game. Never felt like there was as good a community as JK.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-15, 8:56 PM #7
Another poll???

LOL. I didn't really enjoy either JO or JA, save for some of JO's SP lvls. IMO, JK and MotS rule, FTW.

..I think I broke the record for abbreviations. :o
2006-02-15, 9:00 PM #8
i liked both. i definitly liked JO a lot more than JA.
free(jin);
tofu sucks
2006-02-15, 9:01 PM #9
[QUOTE=Cool Matty] JA sabers suck ***.[/QUOTE]

Acrobatics are cool, but the sabers and damage sucks.
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-15, 10:47 PM #10
JA's saber system was better than JO, but the lightstaff was overused. The lightstaff is supposed to be this rare dangerous weapon, but having enemies who weren't even real force-users being able to use it with proficiency totally ruined it.

However, JA's saber combos and the fact that you could forward-stab someone with the saber after force-pulling them over to you make it better than it was in JO.
2006-02-15, 10:58 PM #11
For me, the major reason JK continued to be such a huge favorite for me was because of the community and the mods and stuff they had for it. What came with the game alone probably wouldn't have entertained me much -- the singleplayer never really appealed to me much anyway. *shrug*

I really disliked JO's singleplayer though. I had difficulty understanding what to do in the levels, and having Barney the dinosaur as the main bad guy really killed it for me. Multiplayer didn't feel that great, especially with mods like SBX for JK.

JA, on the other hand, I really liked. I've always been more of a fan of the sabers, and I felt the saber fighting in that game was better designed. The design of the missions were also clear and flexible and fun. I can understand the grips some people have with it, but eh. All the saber fighting options in multiplayer were cool (dueling, power dueling, etc.) and the siege option when they added the x-wings vs tie fighters map was COOL. I wish I was still playing it sometimes.
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net
2006-02-15, 11:01 PM #12
I loved JO multiplayer for a short while, before it got ****ty.

The multiplayer (shooter) was a lot different from other shooter multiplayers (namely, at that time, ut2k3/ut/quake3). Loved the map design, loved CTF, loved hydroball.

never played JA.
一个大西瓜
2006-02-15, 11:03 PM #13
I didnt get JA
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-02-15, 11:12 PM #14
They are both fun games to play from the time to time, nothing special.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-16, 12:23 AM #15
I do love JO for the Single Player missions. JA had a bad non-linear storyline... and both JO and JA are bad in MP. So freakin' slow.

JK is still the best MP game for sabers, if you play SBX, you'll have more moves than with JA. And it's so much better.
ORJ / My Level: ORJ Temple Tournament I
2006-02-16, 12:43 AM #16
I liked them both in SP mode, but for different reasons. I played JO MP only a few times and JA MP never. The JO SP had a much better plot, whereas JA SP had much more innovative levels and better acrobatics and saber moves.

Well, they can't compete with their plots with the old titles, but the gameplay in JO and JA was much better than in JK, in my opinion.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-02-16, 2:11 AM #17
I enjoyed them, but they were far from perfect. They had their moments.
Bassoon, n. A brazen instrument into which a fool blows out his brains.
2006-02-16, 6:37 AM #18
I loved SP in both games...really just because I really really enjoy the lightsaber combat.
2006-02-16, 6:55 AM #19
JK had the best SP
JO had the best MP
JA was the worst for both.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-02-16, 7:10 AM #20
they were both fun
2006-02-16, 7:34 AM #21
I hope they make a new one for the doom3 engine!
New! Fun removed by Vinny :[
2006-02-16, 8:19 AM #22
I loved both, but never played the multiplayer for JO or JA.

Most stand out moment for me was exploring all the new saber moves you could do in JA, especially with the saber locks. The best was when you won with the dual sabers, kept one hand blocking them while dropping the other saber and sending it spinning around into their back :D
2006-02-16, 8:44 AM #23
i have JA, but never played JO.
Code:
if(getThingFlags(source) & 0x8){
  do her}
elseif(getThingFlags(source) & 0x4){
  do other babe}
else{
  do a dude}
2006-02-16, 9:01 AM #24
I enjoyed all of them.
JO had a better story but JA was better with gameplay.

but for MP JK was the only one worth playing.

JK>JA>JO

oh and DF was amazing but no MP:(
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton
2006-02-16, 9:18 AM #25
JA's MP was good fun until the patch, then it just got bizarre. A lightsaber lightly touches and suddenly you're all dead while taking the full brunt off a DFA can or can not be very survivable.

I liked JA's SP better than that of JO though, especially in terms of level design, JA's levels made much sense as opposed to Outcast's infamous unmanageable not very logical giant communications array of doom.

Regardless, I like JO and JA for their own reasons, and both are still fun to play with fans, bizarre patching or no. XD I think some people are a bit too harsh on the recent JK games.
Seishun da!
2006-02-16, 9:26 AM #26
I didn't think either game was amazing, but I enjoyed playing them both.
2006-02-16, 10:45 AM #27
I enjoyed JO SP, but it got tiresome when a level ended and the next began, and I was like "Hey, look, I'm still in this ship! When does it end?"

I liked JA's SP a lot more, simply because there was more variety in the level design.

The MP didn't look terribly interesting on either, so I didn't bother.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-02-16, 11:15 AM #28
Id pick JK's single player over JO's and JA's any time. JK made it seem like a movie with the cutscenes and it actually had a good story. the idea of "killing" jan i thought was kind of retarted

anyway

JK > MotS > JO > JA
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2006-02-16, 12:02 PM #29
JA was good for killing enemies with sabers. The story was absolute crap, and so was all the voice acting. It was just a bunch of disconnected levels where you kill doods with sabers, which was pretty fun, if a little short. For fifty bucks it was a total rip off, but It's not bad for 10$ like you can find it now.
2006-02-16, 12:03 PM #30
Ravensoft really needs to learn to polish up their titles. This goes for all their games.

They could have learned alot from the problems of JO and improve every aspect of the game in JA. But, it seemed like Raven just dropped JA to rush over to Quake 4.

But there are a handful of awesome maps and models made for JA by editors.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-16, 12:52 PM #31
Originally posted by JediKirby:
Am I the only one who thinks even a little bit of SBX inspired JA's fighting style?

Nope, I'm there too. Just got JA yesterday. Been playing it with SBX mod. It's quite fun.
The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

-G Man
2006-02-16, 1:25 PM #32
Did I enjoy JO and JA? Yes. They were entertaining and amusing. Were the high quality games? Not necessarily. Independently, yes, but when compared to JK/MotS, they were horrible implementations of good ideas. WHY DID THEY F*** UP NAR SHADDAA (sp?)?

JO had a lame storyline to begin with. I wasn't happy about the appearance of Cloud City and Yavin. JK and MotS had set a precedent of new exotic settings that did not appear in the films. On the other hand, MP was extremely fun. I got a cable internet connection just for it. I remember the excitement of DM and CTF (Detty and I played a bunch of times!). I even joined a clan; too bad it was European and had the worst name: Jedi Outcast Clan (lol!).

Jedi Academy was . . . odd. A larger game than its predecessor but not JK3, and more like an expansion. You could customize your main character, but you were restricted to a few races (obviously only popular ones from the movies) and only one gender for some. The aliens also didn't talk in their own language. The plot was better; I liked the idea of galactic missions. Unfortunately, their attempt at a non-linear plot was some sort of system of forcing the player to choose between exclusive missions. It didn't seem to matter as to what order was used. Oppositely, the missions were creative, well-designed, and unique (swoops, train ride, etc.). In MP, they provided beautiful maps but the feeling just wasn't right. Siege was a great idea, but the maps were laggy and somewhat ugly. The classes were also...n00bish.

SP: MotS > JK >> JA >>>> JO
MP: JO > JA > MotS > JK

As far as JK3 goes, I want to see one come, but I am afraid of how more screwed up it will be in comparison to JK. Just say no to Raven, or LEC for that matter.
2006-02-16, 3:37 PM #33
Another thing I hate about JA is that every single move requires Force usage. Roll & stab, uppercut, etc. Why the **** would those moves require Force usage!
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-16, 3:49 PM #34
Originally posted by Darkjedibob:
Another thing I hate about JA is that every single move requires Force usage. Roll & stab, uppercut, etc. Why the **** would those moves require Force usage!

Probably to balance it out by preventing players from being able to spam it too much. Raven probably figured that the player would be too over powered if he/she can kill everything so fast.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-16, 4:32 PM #35
i also thought that in JA it was weird that it was just chewie by himself and no han
(JKLE_Cougar) from JK MP Community
discord.me/jediknightdarkforces2
2006-02-17, 12:16 PM #36
He was busy cheating on Leia. ;o
Seishun da!

↑ Up to the top!