Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Empire at War
Empire at War
2006-02-16, 8:56 PM #1
I just ordered it (don't get out to any stores much) today. Anyone else getting (or got) this game?
Clarinetists, unite!

-writer of Bloodwing
(a work in progress)
2006-02-16, 8:58 PM #2
I think I have the demo, but I haven't played it yet.
woot!
2006-02-16, 9:28 PM #3
I've got the modded demo, so I can run around with the Death Star :cool:
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)
2006-02-16, 11:24 PM #4
I'll probably get it, but I'll absolutely get it if you can mod it like a madman.
Star Wars: TODOA | DXN - Deus Ex: Nihilum
2006-02-17, 1:38 AM #5
The post arrived 10 minutes ago with my copy of Empire at War... but I have to leave in about half an hour so I don't have time to play it :(
TheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWho
SaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTh
eJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSa
ysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJ
k
WhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSays
N
iTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkWhoSaysNiTheJkW
2006-02-17, 8:38 AM #6
I'm getting it.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-17, 9:04 AM #7
I'm in the process of getting it.
2006-02-17, 9:04 AM #8
I'm staying away from it with a 10-foot stick unless I have a chance to test the actual game first. I didn't like the demo at all.
nope.
2006-02-17, 9:16 AM #9
You can use a smuggler because this planet has a cantina!

WTF?

No thanks. The demo was interesting though.
2006-02-17, 10:26 AM #10
I got it, am liking it better than the demo.

However, I'm playing it on Medium difficutly and once you past the fourth mission (Rebels) Empire just goes crazy on you. Have read it on the forums too at Lucasarts with people noticing the same thing.

Trying to build fleet and all of a sudden - BOOM! Freaking huge Imperial fleet just comes to my home base and destroys everything.

:(

Oh, and I hate these one craft the Empire has in land battle. They just freaking roll over your entire army and kill them - so damn frustrating.
2006-02-17, 11:56 AM #11
Is the AI better than it was in the demo? It was pretty dumb...
2006-02-17, 12:20 PM #12
Originally posted by JDKNITE188:
You can use an illegal mexican immirgrant because this state has a fast food chain!

WTF?

:em321:
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-17, 1:09 PM #13
Haha, good one.
2006-02-17, 2:17 PM #14
They seem somewhat better than the demo (they also have already released a patch to fixes some AI stuff), but they still do some weird things every now and then.

Really, only one one land map did the AI act dumb in my experience so far. (One patrol of stormtroopers kept circling this one spot over and over, not sure where to attack me. Another were these 2 AT-ST's that kept moving like they were unsure where to fire from - however, they kept walking back between these two points which my army was right between, so they actually did end up killing my army my crushing them to death)

Space wise though - they seem good and haven't noticed any "Huh" moments.

I like the space battles more than land though
2006-02-17, 6:30 PM #15
Well, they were dumb enough to get defeated by a bunch of teddy bears. What did you expect?
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-17, 10:41 PM #16
Teddy bears are still bears, which, as any Cobert Report fan will tell you, should not be taken lightly. The fact is, the ewoks were warrior savages.
"I got kicked off the high school debate team for saying 'Yeah? Well, **** you!'
... I thought I had won."
2006-02-17, 11:13 PM #17
I'll probably buy it.
2006-02-18, 5:00 AM #18
After about 3 hours of play time, I would say that Empire at War is good, but not great enough to warrant my $50.

The space battles are great, with nice visuals and intense fighting, but the land engagements are very underwhelming. There aren't too many units to fight with, and the maps themselves are constricted mazes with few tactical features. The indigenous populations add some variety, but the AI is weak overall.

The grand strategy portion is very well done, but you'll probably want to skip right to the galactic conquest mode because the campaign is pretty boring and restrictive. The game is loads of fun when you have complete Rebellion - style freedom to conquer planets, retreat from tough battles, and use heroes to gain an advantage.

Overall, I'd say that the game deserves a solid 8.5/10. The sum of its parts is good enough to warrant a purchase.

Plus, Kyle Katarn's a hero for the Rebellion, so that counts for bonus points. :)
You could no more evade my wrath than you could your own shadow.
2006-02-18, 11:13 AM #19
preordered it a few days ago, on my birthday... should be arriving sometime soon
I can't wait for the day schools get the money they need, and the military has to hold bake sales to afford bombs.
2006-02-18, 1:07 PM #20
Originally posted by LT_Winters:
After about 3 hours of play time, I would say that Empire at War is good, but not great enough to warrant my $50.

The space battles are great, with nice visuals and intense fighting, but the land engagements are very underwhelming. There aren't too many units to fight with, and the maps themselves are constricted mazes with few tactical features. The indigenous populations add some variety, but the AI is weak overall.

The grand strategy portion is very well done, but you'll probably want to skip right to the galactic conquest mode because the campaign is pretty boring and restrictive. The game is loads of fun when you have complete Rebellion - style freedom to conquer planets, retreat from tough battles, and use heroes to gain an advantage.

Overall, I'd say that the game deserves a solid 8.5/10. The sum of its parts is good enough to warrant a purchase.

Plus, Kyle Katarn's a hero for the Rebellion, so that counts for bonus points. :)

That's what I figured. The land battle in the demo was pretty lame. I wish they had made the galaxy map turn-based (maybe I just want Star Wars Total War).
2006-02-18, 1:39 PM #21
I got annoyed during the demo land battle when Boba Fett would walk into a reinforcement point, guarded by like two squads of my soldiers, and would be hit by a ton of fire and yet not even flinch.

↑ Up to the top!