Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Stupid windows xp... STOP UPDATING SO MUCH!!!
Stupid windows xp... STOP UPDATING SO MUCH!!!
2006-02-18, 2:47 PM #1
Anyone else notice that microsoft has been cranking out a lot security updates in the last few days? There is literally an update coming out every 5-15 minutes! I think I downloaded at least 10 yesterday and about 3 today. Good grief! Makes me wonder why they are coming out so fast.
The cake is a lie... THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!!
2006-02-18, 2:48 PM #2
I had 2 in the past week. thats about it for recently
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-02-18, 2:52 PM #3
You could turn automatic updates off.
Pissed Off?
2006-02-18, 2:55 PM #4
It's because you touch yourself at night.
Code to the left of him, code to the right of him, code in front of him compil'd and thundered. Programm'd at with shot and $SHELL. Boldly he typed and well. Into the jaws of C. Into the mouth of PERL. Debug'd the 0x258.
2006-02-18, 3:04 PM #5
I've had one this week. The first one I've noticed in quite a long time.
Catloaf, meet mouseloaf.
My music
2006-02-18, 3:10 PM #6
Geeze man, MS finally starts to fix some bugs, and you complain about it? :confused:

Originally posted by JediGandalf:

No, thats the answer to the question "why did the Dinosours die out"...
And when the moment is right, I'm gonna fly a kite.
2006-02-18, 3:15 PM #7
Originally posted by DogSRoOL:
I've had one this week. The first one I've noticed in quite a long time.

Same here..one series of updates - can't recall how many were there, but there wasn't much.
woot!
2006-02-18, 3:16 PM #8
They had a bunch on Tuesday, but I updated 'em all in one swarm. Except that one that was broken. I downloaded that one manually.

2006-02-18, 3:38 PM #9
Damn it! I was watching some series one evening, and then one of the stupid updates wanted to reset the computer. And the idiotic requester always popped up on top, forcing MPC from fullscreen to a windowed mode. And this happened every 10 minutes, or something. I killed the bloody wuauctl (or whatever) with task manager hoping it would give me some peace, but the ****** thing just resurrected itself after a while like some bad joke.

If I had been a lesser man, I would have yielded and reseted the system. But I endured, until I was ready to go to sleep and shut the system down anyway.
Frozen in the past by ICARUS
2006-02-18, 3:39 PM #10
Originally posted by JediGandalf:

<3
Was cheated out of lions by happydud
Was cheated out of marriage by sugarless
2006-02-18, 3:47 PM #11
Oh damn, isn't it so inconvenient Microsoft is patching their ****. I'd rather go without and end up spyware and virus ridden. Stupid Microsoft.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 3:49 PM #12
Automatic update is just asking to be abused by microsoft, I'm surprised it took them so long to flood people with an update every 15 minutes.
Sneaky sneaks. I'm actually a werewolf. Woof.
2006-02-18, 4:19 PM #13
Originally posted by MBeggar:
I had 2 in the past week. thats about it for recently

Yeah, me too. Haven't really noticed much.
Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.
2006-02-18, 4:20 PM #14
Originally posted by Oxyonagon:
Automatic update is just asking to be abused by microsoft, I'm surprised it took them so long to flood people with an update every 15 minutes.

They didn't..not to me, anyway. I don't have a problem with automatic updates..
woot!
2006-02-18, 4:20 PM #15
when XP updates you have to buy a new computer.
2006-02-18, 4:29 PM #16
[QUOTE=Mr. Stafford]when XP updates you have to buy a new computer.[/QUOTE]

That's news to me.

<- has every critical and many optional WinXP updates installed
woot!
2006-02-18, 5:03 PM #17
Originally posted by lassev:
Damn it! I was watching some series one evening, and then one of the stupid updates wanted to reset the computer. And the idiotic requester always popped up on top, forcing MPC from fullscreen to a windowed mode. And this happened every 10 minutes, or something. I killed the bloody wuauctl (or whatever) with task manager hoping it would give me some peace, but the ****** thing just resurrected itself after a while like some bad joke.

If I had been a lesser man, I would have yielded and reseted the system. But I endured, until I was ready to go to sleep and shut the system down anyway.

Same problem with me. I was compiling a .map and the damn update reset my computer and shut off the compiler. THat pissed me off so damn much.

I got to find a way to stop making these updates reset my computer.
SnailIracing:n(500tpostshpereline)pants
-----------------------------@%
2006-02-18, 5:26 PM #18
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]Oh damn, isn't it so inconvenient Microsoft is patching their ****. I'd rather go without and end up spyware and virus ridden. Stupid Microsoft.[/QUOTE]

Oh STFU. I'm just annoyed that they keep sending updates every freaking 15 minutes. Would be convenient if microsoft could just bundled all the updates and just make it one big download.
2006-02-18, 5:28 PM #19
Originally posted by SavageX378:
Oh STFU. I'm just annoyed that they keep sending updates every freaking 15 minutes. Would be convenient if microsoft could just bundled all the updates and just make it one big download.

Turn it off?
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 6:25 PM #20
Originally posted by SavageX378:

They do, they're called Service Packs. Do what Yoshi said and turn the automatic updates off and wait for service packs if you REALLY want to not get bothered. Or just visit windows update from time-to-time.
Detty. Professional Expert.
Flickr Twitter
2006-02-18, 6:31 PM #21
Ok, I notice something with these constant updates. For some reason its downloading the same damn update over and over. It's a security update that uses the same number. I guess I'm gonna have to just turn it off because it's obviously not doing its job properly.

BTW, sorry I lashed out like that to Yoshi. I know about the service packs dealio but I always figured that the automatic update system is reliable so I just leave it on. Apparently I placed too much faith in microsoft. They idiots can never make any software work the way they are supposed to.
2006-02-18, 6:55 PM #22
Waht windows screwed up? Well i never! :p
2006-02-18, 7:22 PM #23
I leave it turned off, and go there myself when I choose to.
"Harriet, sweet Harriet - hard-hearted harbinger of haggis."
2006-02-18, 7:59 PM #24
I won't touch service pack 2 with a ten foot clown pole so I don't get updates at all anymore.
And guess what, I don't have spyware or viruses either.

:p
On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or genitals."
2006-02-18, 8:02 PM #25
Originally posted by djwguitarman:
I won't touch service pack 2 with a ten foot clown pole so I don't get updates at all anymore.
And guess what, I don't have spyware or viruses either.

:p

Why not? There's absolutely no reason to abstain from it now.
D E A T H
2006-02-18, 9:29 PM #26
I leave mine on, but it goes off at something like 0400, so I don't really care (followed by virus scan at 0500) :p
$do || ! $do ; try
try: command not found
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor (X-wing, TIE, XvT/BoP, XWA)

↑ Up to the top!