Massassi Forums Logo

This is the static archive of the Massassi Forums. The forums are closed indefinitely. Thanks for all the memories!

You can also download Super Old Archived Message Boards from when Massassi first started.

"View" counts are as of the day the forums were archived, and will no longer increase.

ForumsDiscussion Forum → Looking for a new PC laptop
Looking for a new PC laptop
2006-02-20, 9:07 PM #1
Hey. So I'm looking into buying a new PC laptop. I want a really good one. I want it to last awhile (as much as possible) and be as good as possible within reason lol. I was looking at the Alienware laptops. Or can anyone else suggest a good PC laptop (can't be a mac, even the intel ones not just yet) like that is top of the line/very good quality.
What if you found a portal to a parallel Universe?
2006-02-20, 9:18 PM #2
Dell Inspirons are great. Check out the Dell site to see what you can get, and see if you can't find a coupon for like 10-15% off somewhere. They're usually floating around somewhere.
D E A T H
2006-02-20, 9:20 PM #3
Well, if you are going Alienware, I'm assuming that your price range is pretty high and that may be slightly interested in gaming

I think you gotta factor in somethings though with Alienware or perhaps a Dell XPS2. Both are AMAZING machines, I mean, they kickass. But do you want to live with poor battery life, or really heavy machines, and such.

If you are just looking for a laptop that PERFORMS well, maybe not so much in games, I'd recommend some of the latest IBMs (the T60s) with Centrino Duo processors. Very nice, and I think you can get them now with x600 PCI-E in there.

And of course, there is always dell. Dell sells some pretty good laptops with x600s in them for a lot cheaper than an Alienware or the XPS2 model. Dell probably gives you the best price/performance ratio, and still offers the best warranties of all manufactures I've used. Their turnaround time is outstanding.

So I'd recommend sitting down and thinking if you really want a gaming laptop, or just one that is fast and performs well.
"His Will Was Set, And Only Death Would Break It"

"None knows what the new day shall bring him"
2006-02-20, 9:23 PM #4
Well I'd prefer a powerful laptop with good processors/memory and stuff because I am going to be running a lot of software often like photoshop, 3dsmax, maya, etc and well ya it would be nice to have a gaming laptop I'm not NEEDING it I suspose. Just with Alienwares they seem very high quality and stuff so thats why I was drawn to them.
2006-02-20, 9:26 PM #5
IMO running software like photoshop, maya, and 3dsmax, should be kept on a PC.. why do you need a laptop for this software?
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-02-20, 9:30 PM #6
well hrm ya your right. lol I dont really need to be running those software on my laptop totally, I can stick to my desktop for those I guess. I just think I want a really good laptop lol be it gaming or not. I dunno why I think its just cause the laptop I've been using now is like total crap, like t3h definition of crap lol. so now that I've got the $$$ to buy a new really good one, I want one. lol
2006-02-20, 9:50 PM #7
One important factor in laptop speed is the hard drive RPM. It is often overlooked, but can boost your overall performance (maybe not direct FPS, but definately general use) by a TON. Especially if you move from a 4200 to a 7200RPM drive.
2006-02-21, 7:45 AM #8
hmm yeah I was looking at either a 120 gig 5000 rpm drive or a 100 gig 7200 drive. Whatever size drive I get, I'm ya for sure going to get 7200 not 5000.
2006-02-21, 7:50 AM #9
I wouldnt advise the alienware laptops. they are big, heavy, and get really hot fast.
[01:52] <~Nikumubeki> Because it's MBEGGAR BEGS LIKE A BEGONI.
2006-02-21, 7:55 AM #10
then what would you suggest?
2006-02-21, 8:12 AM #11
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iMX170G2&s=dhs

Maybe that? Looks big and heavy, though. Perhaps a lighter XPS system would work.
woot!
2006-02-21, 8:24 AM #12
I was looking at the Dell XPS and Dell Laptops however just from my comparisons, the Alienware Laptops seem to be a lot better with faster processors etc etc.
2006-02-21, 8:29 AM #13
[QUOTE=Quinn Mallory]I was looking at the Dell XPS and Dell Laptops however just from my comparisons, the Alienware Laptops seem to be a lot better with faster processors etc etc.[/QUOTE]

Are they mobile processors or desktop processors?
woot!
2006-02-21, 8:34 AM #14
I was looking at the Alienwarae M7700. It's Desktop Processors in it. See while some of you are saying how the Alienware laptops are heavy and heat really fast, how come they are getting great reviews and stuff? arghh so hard just to pick a laptop lol.

But ya the m7700 can have an Intel Pentium 4 670 Desktop Processor w/ HT technology 3.8 ghz 800 mhz 2MB
2006-02-21, 9:03 AM #15
[QUOTE=Quinn Mallory]I was looking at the Alienwarae M7700. It's Desktop Processors in it. See while some of you are saying how the Alienware laptops are heavy and heat really fast, how come they are getting great reviews and stuff? arghh so hard just to pick a laptop lol.

But ya the m7700 can have an Intel Pentium 4 670 Desktop Processor w/ HT technology 3.8 ghz 800 mhz 2MB[/QUOTE]
You don't want that kind of a laptop. You want portability. Look for these keywords:
Pentium M
Turion
X300 Hypermemory
X600 Hypermemory

Those kinds of things make a laptop thinner, make the batteries last longer, and make it more portable overall. That's what you're looking for, not raw power. And usually you can get those laptops for fairly cheap anyways.
D E A T H
2006-02-21, 9:08 AM #16
[QUOTE=Dj Yoshi]You don't want that kind of a laptop. You want portability. Look for these keywords:
Pentium M
Turion
X300 Hypermemory
X600 Hypermemory

Those kinds of things make a laptop thinner, make the batteries last longer, and make it more portable overall. That's what you're looking for, not raw power. And usually you can get those laptops for fairly cheap anyways.[/QUOTE]

Yep..if you're going to have a laptop with a desktop processor (bulky and with low battery life), you might as well build a Shuttle SFF rig..imho, anyway.
woot!
2006-02-21, 9:35 AM #17
hmmmmm
2006-02-21, 9:36 AM #18
so I should avoid a desktop processor laptop?
2006-02-21, 9:51 AM #19
[QUOTE=Quinn Mallory]so I should avoid a desktop processor laptop?[/QUOTE]

If you want less heat and more battery life, yes.
woot!
2006-02-21, 3:14 PM #20
you should check out those gateway convertibles.. pretty much a 14" wacom built into the screen. would be good with photoshop
"Nulla tenaci invia est via"
2006-02-21, 4:09 PM #21
I have a Dell XPS and I'm happy with it.
“Without education we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.” -G.K. Chesterton

↑ Up to the top!